Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Just a quick post. One thing is certain. You will never wake up regretting not drinking the night before!
    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Have a new fear of forgetting to celebrate Byrdie's big day on Tuesday. Need to set myself reminders, wont forgive myself if I forget

AK
      AF since 1st Sep 2012
      NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

:new: Hi guys, - introducing myself. This forum has been a gift from God to me today - I've read it most of the day - and it has helped tons! I am currently on a taper which seems to be going well for today - my second taper day. I've been quite sick for two months now -largely due to my drinking (beer was my choice of poison) but there are a couple of other physical things I'm battling at present too. I'll, write more about my situation in one of the other threads later on or tomorrow.

But, today has seemed so much brighter than the last two months of hell I've been living and I feel very grateful.

Oh - BTW - I wanted to go by "Cricket" but that name was taken, so I was thinking about those little "clicker" things...:H

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cricket welcome to the forum.

I will be the first to say that after being here for over a year I have seen very little success (none) with tapering. Most people try to stop full stop. Sometimes they fail but they are quick to get back on their feet and try again until they succeed.

Obviously everyone is different but have you thought about quitting for good. Or at least attempting a 30 days sober challenge?

Allan
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Cricket, nice to meet you! You have come to a great place and will get lots of help and support. Keep posting and hanging with us
            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi BH, so nice to see you here today
              AF since 1st Sep 2012
              NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello nesters. A quick goodnight from me. I'm sorry I'm unable to post more- working most weekends and busy with home and baby.

Congrats to all the milestones and hello newbies. I'm thinking if you available- hope This weekend is going well.

Congrats gambler and hello CDev. Good to see you

Halo- sorry you had a blip- keep trying.

Gotta sign off falling asleep .... You never wake up wishing you had drunk the night before ....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Allankay - yes - quitting completely is what I'm aiming for. I must not have been too clear. Sorry. The taper is to avoid the lovely withdrawals I've enjoyed recently...NOT! Due to my high blood pressure and not having any medications (for withdrawal) available to me, I decided to try the taper route. So far...so good. I was a beer fiend - about a 12 pack/day. I didn't think that cold turkey was the healthiest or safest way for me to go.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Broken Halo and Minstar. I've been reading a lot of your posts today Broken Halo. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Allan, I am coming home to roost for good this time
                      Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Clicket;1567828 wrote: Hi Broken Halo and Minstar. I've been reading a lot of your posts today Broken Halo. Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
                        Thanks, I need them. Feeling much better though

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm Strong and in Control;1567705 wrote: What I meant to say is that I've got plans tonight for a session with my friends. We say we're going out to dinner and getting together, but the truth is, we are all just going to get drunk again and eating is secondary. I know I want to do a 30 day AF to get my head clear - I need to do that. The excuses - I can't cancel tonight, next week is my birthday and of course we'll "celebrate", and then our friend will be in town and we celebrate and go to see more friends and celebrate and then it's Thanksgiving and . . . I'm thinking the "celebrations" are not fun and are actually "drunken binges". I'm not going to go away, I'm going to keep coming back and reading and posting and I am going to do a 30 day. I'm beginning to tell the truth that drinking is painful and not the fun celebration I regard it as. Yet . . .
                          Hi, I'm strong

You are strong and I suspect stronger than you think :l. I am so glad you aren't going to leave!

We had a discussion about being ready to quit while you were on vacation. Byrdie had an especially good take on it - you might want to look through her posts (people with 1k days really should be listened to! )

Bottom line - none of us ever will be "ready". Our addicted voice is strong and is never going to let you feel this way - unless you allow yourself to reach a rock bottom that is so consequential that the choice is no longer yours.

To quote Nike, Just Do It. The first time 'I don't drink' comes out of your mouth is the hardest. Say it often enough and it becomes your identity.

Fast forward to Jan 2014 and think about not being one of the many 'day ones' we will welcome on that day. Instead you will be on something like day 75, proud of yourself, free of the headache, red eyes, etc. and most excruciating, shame. Imagine that you conquer each of the obstacles you've listed here!

Honestly, I was never going to be ready. The day I quit was pretty much like countless others. I saw on MWO how well former addicts were living and just decided to do it. It wasn't easy but it was so much easier than I feared that I have to constantly not beat myself up for not having done it sooner.

Jump in, Strong! With all the experienced lifeguards here, I know you - and anyone else who reads this - can do it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

No Sugar, you just gave me such a thrill! I hadn't thought about not having to make a resolution on January Ist to quit drinking! That will be a great day!

Welcome Cricket! I'm so glad you found this site. Halo, I am so happy to see you posting!

Wrapping up Day 7! What a great feeling. Byrdie, thank you for the moon. Somehow I didn't see your post this morning. I really never thouht I would be a recipient! My next goal is 30 days. It feels pretty daunting, but I want it more than anything!
                            You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kailey;1567842 wrote: . It feels pretty daunting, but I want it more than anything!
                              Just think, not drinking will be normal for you on the new year and you will be welcoming and helping the newbies!

If you want this more than anything and are willing to do whatever it takes, you can have it! How cool is that? There really aren't that many things in our lives over which we have total control but we do get to be in charge of the fluids we consume. Enjoy the power!

Congrats on your week, Kailey - the first of many milestones you sound very ready to reach.

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone, just a quick hello, day 7 for me here and feeling a bit rough. Will stay strong and check backlater, eaten so much these last two days - feeling an empty void that can't be filled, but will stick with the plan, I'm guessing this is the normal routine. Off to do some gardening and walk my pooch, see ya later , have a great day/night everyone x

Comment

Working...
                                X