Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well I made some unhelpful choices and am now back at day one. It is what it is. I need to learn from this. I went to the health food shop at lunchtime and bought some kudzu as mine that I ordered online hasn't arrived yet. I know it isn't a magic bullet, but I think I need to help myself here and use whatever tools make this more manageable.

I am in a pickle. I love to drink. Obviously, or I would just stop, wouldn't I? But I hate the insecurity and anxiety and the bloatedness and loss of self-respect, and shame... And I know this just gets worse. I do know that. I've been fighting these demons off and on for most of my adult life, and it's only sheer luck that has prevented me ruining my whole life through thoughtlessness and drunkenness.

I felt it was significant that at church the other day I was doing the reading and it was an Epistle about not indulging in drunkenness!!! I read it out with the blush of gin still rosy in my cheeks from the night before... And then did it again that night, and had a major misunderstanding with my husband because of drink (and totally couldn't remember anything about what I'd said or done) and then found this place...

So I have a long way to go. I know that. Baby steps...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Olga! I looked back through some of your earlier posts and it sounds like you have taken some positive steps by joining this forum and trying to learn about the supplements. Have you had a chance to visit the toolbox yet? In the toolbox, you will get some ideas about making a plan for the day to stay alcohol-free. Write your plan down. Follow it for the day and then, as Byrdie says, "rinse and repeat". All you have to do is focus on one day at a time right now and things will get easier as time goes on. Read a lot on the forums and post as much as you can. The days will add up quickly and before you know it you will have 7 days, then 30 days under your belt. You can do this, Olga!
      :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Day 1 got over. Had a bad very bad day as could not face my wife. She too was upset and does not want to talk to me. Of course I have let her down.lord to her about not drinking even when I was caught red handed.

But still good thing is I did not gave into Al. Was clear from day begininning that I will not drink today.

I did make sure my stomach remains full and not empty. I also was but tempted to having a drink when some asked me to accompany for a drink in evening. But no enough is enough.

Here is my place .

1. Hold on one day at a time
        2. Avoid being alone, be with family, kids
        3. Post everyday here share my thought and express myself .. Hoping not to bore others.
        4. Eating healthy and staying sober.
        5. Reminding myself how great it is to being sober (even though right now I dont feel so but the cloud will clear in next few days)

I remember about 10 years back I used to meditate ... What have I become now.
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

LostSoul33;1571993 wrote: HI all,
          I am back -- as I mentioned on another post and to my soul sister, NoSugar, I fell off the wagon last week. Although I havent gotten drunk, I have been drinking 2 glasses of wine everyday after a stressful day at a new job. I know this is only going to lead to a downward spiral so I am here, reaching out, becoming accountable, yet again, to kick this once and for all.? Thanks for listening.
          Hey lost soul
          I dont like to address you with this name as I am sure very soon you will not be lost. And even of you feel you are lost you will discover your true yourself here.

I have been drinking daily for 10 years ... Everyday... Tried to stop but could not. I came across these forums and was amazed how much shared helped and that helped me to stay sober for longest period ever about 40 days. Since then I fell back into pit (O allowed myself to fell back as I though I could control it). Not I am back on track. Completed my sober first day. And more days to come, more struggle ahead.

Looks like you feel alone and lonely as u mentioned about not being with family and with work pressures. But as you yourself knows AL does not help. Regular posting here will ... Share your thoughts and we will hear you out.

Wishing you all the best.
          Rahul
          --------------------------------------------
          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
          Rebooting ... done ...
          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 9!

Sorting miss-matched socks is a brilliant antidote to any wine cravings. :H

Talk tomorrow!
            14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1572220 wrote: Hello Nesters,

Day 1 got over. Had a bad very bad day as could not face my wife. She too was upset and does not want to talk to me. Of course I have let her down.lord to her about not drinking even when I was caught red handed.

But still good thing is I did not gave into Al. Was clear from day begininning that I will not drink today.

I did make sure my stomach remains full and not empty. I also was but tempted to having a drink when some asked me to accompany for a drink in evening. But no enough is enough.

Here is my place .

1. Hold on one day at a time
              2. Avoid being alone, be with family, kids
              3. Post everyday here share my thought and express myself .. Hoping not to bore others.
              4. Eating healthy and staying sober.
              5. Reminding myself how great it is to being sober (even though right now I dont feel so but the cloud will clear in next few days)

I remember about 10 years back I used to meditate ... What have I become now.
              rahul, to answer your last sentence: Today you became sober and I'd like to add, for the rest of your life.
              Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

Howdy

Just a quick note to say "howdy" to you guys. I'm so impressed with you all and it's great to see the Roll Call thread continuing to be successful. That's great!

Thanks for all the past support. I'm doing much better these days.

Respect and admiration,
                -Fin
                Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fin :l
                  Great to see you and great to hear that you are doing well. We all miss hearing from you. Check in more often, hon! And BE GOOD :H

:h Star

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, Day 5 is done!
                    Like I said yesterday, day 5 is usually challenging for me and one that I usually fail at accomplishing. I had a few stinkin drinkin thoughts today, but that's all they were (just thoughts) and I was able to easily dismiss them by telling myself "I don't drink".
                    Managed to scrape together some supper for my family tonight with ingredients I had on hand, rather than taking a chance on visiting the grocery store. I thought chili would be nice, since temperatures are dropping a little bit here...The recipe calls for canned tomatoes...I didn't realize until I got home that the only canned tomatoes I had on hand were the ones seasoned with habenero peppers (the XTRA HOT ones)nfire: Haha, oh well....I'll just serve LARGE glasses of iced water with the meal :H and that will be that
                    My youngest daughter is in a snit for some unknown reason...and has been very rude to me for no reason whatsoever...I may withhold her glass of water! just kidding!
                    All in all, I feel good today and am so glad to be back in the nest! I like Jennie's idea of curling up with a book and a cup of chamomille tea, so that's my plan for this evening. This day is DUSTED!!
                    :hStar

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am new

I am new today and not sure how everything works. I am struggling and looking for help and support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Star, you are doing GREAT!! You sound like a different girl!! I am so happy for you!

RW, we are glad you found us!! It might be helpful to read back a few days and get to know us and where we are on the journey!! Also in my signature line below you'll find the Tool Box...there is a treasure trove of tips and coping skills to help you thru these first challenging days!! Read all you can and tell us about what brings you by!!! We are happy to listen!! Welcome aboard!!

Have a safe night in the nest everyone!! Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: RW
                          You have landed in a great spot for help and support to stop drinking. The Newbies Nest is just full of folks that are in all stages of recovery and have lots of knowledge and advice. Tell us a little about yourself, if you would like. You can also get to know us by reading back through posts over the past couple of weeks. We are glad you found us and hope to get to know you better!

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

LOL Cross post, Byrdlady! Love you!

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bahaha!! Love you, too, Star!!! xoo, B
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters

Well, day 10 has been interesting. I bit the bullet and weighed myself. After my last binge (where I barely ate a bite) I have been eating like a good un. All sorts of rubbish that I normally would never let pass my lips. I imagined I had gained at least 5lbs, which for someone as small as me is a LOT! I am happy to report I haven't gained an ounce. In fact, I am delighted.

I went on to have a great workout at the gym as a sort of homage to the gods of fitness for letting me away with my sins this time. Just to give you a bit of background, a few years back I was overweight. I took it upon myself to completely change my diet and lifestyle (still drinking, but not a lot). As a result I lost in excess of 70 pounds and got myself back into a UK size 8/10 from an 18/20. It took less than a year. I started exercising when I got near my goal weight and have kept it up since.

I have maintained my weight for a good few years now, but it's always in the back of my mind and I am very careful about it usually.

When I decided to lose weight it really was as easy as that. The decision was made, I used the internet, I reprogrammed my brain and my appetites. I just did it. For so long I had been saying 'I want to lose weight' but diets didn't work for me, I needed a lifestyle change. Once that decision was made, it was easy.

Thinking about it today, I can apply that same logic to drinking. 'I want to stop drinking' is easy to say. Having the willingness to actually do it is another. To make that commitment, reprogramme myself and my brain, it's not impossible. My last quit failed after 90 odd days, this time I know I can do it and maintain it.

I have self belief. I KNOW I can do it. I have been going to AA meetings for the last week and a bit to get a different perspective. I have learned a lot from them. If I don't lift the first drink, I can't get drunk. If I can get through the next 24 hours, that's another day.

As it was with my weight loss, one day at a time. Be prepared. Be aware. Be determined and focussed on what I want to achieve.

I have lots of people in my life now who cannot remember me being overweight. A lot of people who didn't even know me back then and can't believe I wasn't always small.

Won't it be a blast to have people not remember me as a drinker?
                                Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Working...
                                X