Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well, I made it. The urge seems to have dissipated now that I'm back home. Hope everyone downunder had a good day and maybe got lucky on the big race today.
    ---------------------------------

AF from 22 November 2013

Happily on the road to Sobriety - there's nowhere else worth going to...

Comment

Newbies Nest

morning nesters,

thanks LC/MR/BH for the welcome back, it's nice to be here

Nanette - well done on 367 days, brilliant effort

I'm feeling rather more human today, drank a ton of water yesterday & only needed a few beers to taper with. if this is the worst I'm going to feel today, then I may as well call today day1

right, I'd better do some work, will check back in later

Comment

Newbies Nest

I hate alcohol.

The way it makes you think you are being social.

But in fact it actually makes us more and more lonely.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all just a check in to say 5 days till wedding and who's counting, oh that would be me! How many zits can one break out in just before a wedding? A lot.

Happy Birthday Brydie and I loved your previous post, felt you were writing it for me. I definitely have some work to do after this wedding being af free. Christmas does not worry me as god forbid we will be lucky to buy each other a card after this wedding. The celebrations will be over and gone and life will hopefully be back to what it was. I will be back on here constantly and doing what i started to do.

Nanette a huge congratulations on a year, we all have it in us to do it, it is just determination and resolve and hard work, like any addiction.

I am just hoping for a fine day on Sunday but with Melbourne weather one never knows......

Good to hear from you Gambler. Its funny how you can be with someone for a certain amount of time and have children and then end up hating each other. My priority was and always has been my children. If i have to be nice to my ex to make my children happy and secure then so be it. I never want my children to go through what i did as a child. Mind you mine are adults now but I and my ex will always show the utmost respect for each other in front of them and I will never say a bad word against him to them although they learn as they get older.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, I had a horrible nights sleep last night. I had dreams about Googling how many paracetamol I needed to end things :-/ Feel ashamed to write that on here, but feels good to get it out in the open.

I slept for 10 hours, woke up feeling terrible and was in one of those moods where I could have quite easily cancelled work and binged on crappy food all day.

But, in the last 10 minutes my mindset has changed. I am not going to let this beat me. I am not going to become a shadow of a man. A poor excuse of a person.; That's far too easy.

I am going to work on reaching mini goals 2-3 at a time. Once I reach those goals I move onto a couple more.

I want to be a self made person. Reliant on no one except for myself.

The people who moan in life are those who let life get the better of them. The people that see everything is against them. I said I would never become one of those people. 4 weekends of alcohol and RD use has taken me back to where I was 6 months ago, yes.

But I know 2 weeks of proper sleep, good nutrition and exercise will see me right back on track.

My one major goal is to be a happy, confident and loving person by Christmas this year. No hangovers Christmas day. I want family time.

This post wasn't necessary if I had of stuck to my guns 6 weeks ago and just said no to my friend. But, sometimes I need to be down in the dumps to see the light again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

SF i was just grateful for a day off, a public holiday for a race day, ridiculous but i do appreciate it.

Good on you for getting home without the AL. I changed my shopping patterns so I did not go to the store after work as that was my witching hour.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati;1580954 wrote: Hi, all.

End of day 2 - plenty of good food and a good, busy day at work. I had dinner with the family and now I am checking in. I have quit for various periods of time over the last several years and these "typical" days are not too hard for me. This time feels slightly different, however, as I have made the decision to log in here and be accountable to you all. This is causing me to listen VERY CLOSELY to my mind when thoughts like "you can just have a couple beers at the concert in three weeks," or "what's wrong with a glass of champagne with Thanksgiving." Because of the information and support I have found here so far (I have read a TON), I think I am starting to step out of my monkey brain and use my rational thoughts to begin to accept not drinking as a reality. I know, I know, only day 2, but that's where I am. I am trying to embrace Byrdie's words and not throw a pity party.

Honeysoup, I hope you are ok. That antabuse sounds dangerous (and nasty) for drinking.

Gambler, welcome back. Folks have been asking about you - I am sorry about your fight to be with your kids, but I am happy that you are going through it sober.

Nanette - WOW and congratulations. Thanks for coming back to share your success and to cheer us on.

Everyone else (not sure how you who do it can list everyone - I'll figure it out), thank you so much again for the warm welcome you have given me and thanks for your words of encouragement and support. Off for some tea and bed.
                Pav
                I know what you mean by it feeling "different". By checking in here, there is a degree of accountability that arises. Strongly suggest you do the roll call for awhile. By starting your day posting there as an AF day, it helps reaffirms commitment (least that's the way I used it).

There are lots of people here that use AB and are very successful with it. That's why they know to caution folks who may have misused it.
                Best to you
                Sam
                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

It's a busy nest once again
                  Hello & welcome to Joe & Liberte! Glad you found us, please settle in for a while.

Londoner, have you seen a doc about your depression? Your drinking could very well be tied to long standing depression ~ mine was!
                  Once I tackled the depression I was able to quit drinking without much trouble.

Nanette, CONGRATS to you on your 1 year AF :wd:
                  Protect your quit with everything you've got, it's precious!

available, keeping my fingers crossed for a beautiful day for the wedding

SD, glad to see you back as well!

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Tuesday!
                  Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1581097 wrote:
                    Londoner, have you seen a doc about your depression? Your drinking could very well be tied to long standing depression ~ mine was!
                    Once I tackled the depression I was able to quit drinking without much trouble.
                    Lav
                    I think it's the other way round for me. Drink makes me depressed. And when I feel depressed I look for anything that give me instant gratification - sugary foods, TV, computer games etc.

When I start living in the moment and looking for long term satisfaction anxiety and depression never cross my mind.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner;1581093 wrote:
                      My one major goal is to be a happy, confident and loving person by Christmas this year.
                      Londoner
                      This morning I decided that I want to focus on being the best "Me" I can be. On that note, going to lace us the trainers and plod my flabby arse around the lake, just as the sun comes up over the City. (I think it may be up already but the rainclouds are blocking it!)
                      10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

available;1581092 wrote: Hi all just a check in to say 5 days till wedding and who's counting, oh that would be me! How many zits can one break out in just before a wedding?
                        Available - PLEASE give yourself some ME time, even if it is a bubble bath - go off by yourself, clear your head and be honest with yourself. Take time to focus on being sober through all this stress. Stay in control. Focus - you can do this! The wedding will be fabulous, you will be calm and beautiful, regardless of the weather. You've come this far - make yourself proud.
                        10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm Strong

That sounds like a great start to your day. You're blessed to have nature like that on your doorstep.

Alcohol definitely masks us from our true selves. And it does a great job at that.

I really believe in the 90 days to notice a real change. If I keep putting of the start, 90 days will never come.

How have you felt - around 3 weeks since you stopped?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters ..

Just a quick morning checking before I have to launch off to work.

Thanks for all the loving support and a encouragement from all of you including you new peeps in here. I have responses that will need to wait til I get home.

I slept better last night after posting and letting things out so thats good news. I did have ham steaks for dinner maybe that helped I still cant seem to kick the sugar thing as much as I think I should..but thats on the back burner sorta speak. The shrink wrapping is coming to a close so there is going to be better nights for me to sit around and chirp here ( shrink wrapping is Hard work and it leaves me coming home..eating..crawling into bed and falling asleep ).

Last night after posting and then reading your replies cuddled up in bed I caught myself thinking about the boys and how much Im missing them..and how much Im going to miss them when and if the courts basically allow her to keep them from me. Bad deal .. I snapped "WTF are you doing Dave ?!". I am going to have to make an effort to thing about the good times in the recent past and all the good and better times we are going to have in the future.

Thanks again everyone and I will be back after work to post some replies

Have a great AF day.

Dave
                            Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                            AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone

Londoner - sorry to hear about the dream... and to hear you feeling so down. You are so right about alcohol isolating us and making us lonely... Not sociable at all!

Dave, so good to see you back. I am sorry that your wife is throwing those claims at you. You are a good Dad - a fantastic one actually - just you remember that. You may have made bad decisions with alcohol in the past but you are sober now... And that is what matters. The courts are used to people exaggerating matters to throw mud at the other parent - you have as much right to see those kids as she does. I'm wishing you all the best and strength at this difficult time xx
                              AF since Halloween 2016

Trying to kill my Wine Witch! :smileyb:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all good morning!!! Just stopped by to check in before work have great day
                                AF since 10/20/2013
                                Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                                Meat free since 09/20/2008
                                ---------------------------------------
                                With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Working...
                                X