Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Keep meaning to ask - L Glutamine - does it work?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Willow23;1585679 wrote: Keep meaning to ask - L Glutamine - does it work?
      Just browsing Willow & spotted this.
      I believe it does.
      I works for any suger craving too - ( which is basically what alcohol is ) ?
      A good scoop of the powder under the tongue .....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Gwawky MAE, friends!
        I have managed to do something crazy to my back (seems like pulled muscles right in the middle of my back, which I've never had before!) and it's interfering with my weekend plans in a big way! I have to clean my house and prepare for early Thanksgiving tomorrow.. I've taken some Ibuprofen and put on muscle ache cream.

Willow, how are you holding up? I would definitely take some herbal sleep supplements if I were you-- lack of sleep is horrible. I just wanted to tell you that it took quite a while for my body to really detox. My skin has JUST cleared up and gone back to "normal"-- feeling soft and not so red and ruddy (though I guess that could also have to do with cutting gluten..?). I can't remember why you decided to cut carbs? I'm happy to hear your husband is so supportive-- Keep doing what you're doing! Reaching out for support when you need it. You are on the right path! Be patient with yourself.:l

Welcome, Loveless. Good to have you here! This cosy Nest is a great place to get support in becoming and staying sober.
        Jvo, thanks for the awesome book list. I don't think I've read any of them-- do you have an all time favourite?
        Londoner, How are you today? What did you decide about the game day? Let us know how you are, yeah?
        Lucky, thank you for that 30 day post. I could relate to so much of it... and Congrats on reaching 30 days-- quite an accomplishment!
        Pavati, well done on 2 weeks!!
        Sanchez, what you wrote about your mother touched home with me. My mom is a reovering/ed-- (how does that work? do we ever say recovered?) alcoholic and I have had her there to support me. It took such a long time for me to accept that I am "like" her-- I still haven't really, but I am happy to have her perspective and support. How has it been for you?

Elvis, Great going on fighting through the other night-- it looks like yesterday was a little less difficult. Day 3 today, right?

I'm off to start cleaning now-- yippeee!
        see you all in a bit..

Comment

Newbies Nest

Now just out of nowhere-- i was washing the dishes and i have so much pain in my back, my boyfriend is leaving until monday-- the thought to drink crossed my mind. first fleetingly, as if was a normal activity for me.. i could buy a bottle of wine and relax. just sit and watch a film, hang out with the kids.Then it got stronger and started sounding like a really good idea. I don't want to-- I knew this would happen at some point. it's been too easy for me this time, up until now.
          My plan is not to drink. I have to go out and run some errands, do some shopping and I will NOT buy any sort of alcohol. although it still seems like a good idea. why is that?
          i WILL check back in here as soon as I'm home.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I think we romanticise it LC - but we all know AL is a bugger. Like I said last night/early this morning, 'it' was/is getting angry - it doesn't like being shut out! For me it's not a physical battle at all, never has been but the mental/emotional part is SO hard to deal with!

Just come back from the shops - got my L - Glutamine so let's see how that goes.

Comment

Newbies Nest

lifechange;1585713 wrote: it's been too easy for me this time, up until now.
              LC, that's my biggest worry too: that because it's been so easy, I'd one day decide to just have a glass (ok, let's be realistic: a bottle or two) and then go back to being AF afterwards. I remember that I said in one of my first posts that I'm waiting for that sledgehammer from the sky to pulverise me. (Mind you, at the moment a glass would probably be sufficient to give me a very nice buzz.) So, I'm really on my guard against complacency setting in - just being aware of that is what keeps me on my toes at the moment.

Isn't it ironic: us moaning because it's been too easy?
              14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lifechange I use Tigerbalm when my muscles hurt. My back especially.
                I get it from my local walgreens. It's wonderful.
                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters! Up at 6:30 a.m. on my day off? WTH? Well, I'm feeling great with no hangover, so this is quite awesome. Have all day to do my thing. Son's family birthday party is today. He's turning 16 My baby. Well, so glad my baby can have a sober mom now. Better late than never!

Dave, glad things are lookin' up for you!

Pavati, jealous!! I love the beach. How wonderful to live near it. I'm so glad you're feeling strong. Enjoy your massage!

Willow, it will get better. My anxiety increases so much when I don't get proper sleep. Have you heard of the acronym, HALT? Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Those can be triggers, so watch out for them. I take one 3 mg melatonin at night and sleep well. My husband is also very supportive and made some nice comments to me last night. He said that he sees me happy, depression lifted, and we don't argue much! That's a huge and welcome change!

Lifechange, All time favorite has to be "Drinking, A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. Excellent.

Well, busy day here today nesters. Chiropractic appt, pick up birthday cake, chicken, and birthday party. Not worried about the AL that will be floating around in the house this evening. I never did well drinking and mingling. Made me stupid and vulnerable and I'm not a stupid, vulnerable person anymore. I will not drink today.
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

GWAWK morning MAE Fellow Nesters !

5am .. eyes open ! .. Bink ! I guess Im ready to start my day a little early this morning lol. Just the same due to me wanting to spend a little time here before they wake up. ( You guys should see how friggen cute they are all curled up under the blankies. They look so peaceful ).

Ok on with the postathon..

gambler;1585312 wrote: Good day Nesters Frustrating ! Im feeling a bit down on myself for letting this whole thing get to this point. I dont know..on one hand I feel that I should have went and removed them from "grandmas" house a long time ago when Mom was off to work. On the other hand I know that She would have gotten them back when she got the chance ( like when I went to work ) and ultimately remove them from me even further. Sigh..a no win situation for me.
                    I wanted to elaborate on this a bit more for you guys. First thing is first..My Sobriety ! Always has been and Always will be ! I had made a choice back on Sept 10th to quit. If I had indeed went on the war path for my childrens sake it would have turned out not only bad for my quit..but bad for the kids in the long run. Im no seer but I truly believe this to be true. I was not 100% or even 90%..so waiting was IMO the best option. Later on, after a month under my belt, I decided to take the high road and to not press Mom because she was already being irrational..and frankly I didnt know what she would do. I had to "play the game". Hurt the hell out of me but I felt I had no choice.

As far as the grandparent things goes .. well here is a little backround on that issue. My marriage was doomed from the get go. I moved up to Michigan by the request of my "pregnant girlfriend" about 10 years ago (she grew up here and all her friends and family lived here). So we ended up moving into the basement of her parents basement until I could get us on our feet and move to our own place. We got married and then shortly afterward had our first born. Everything was going ok, or so it seemed, until one day (a few months or so after we tied the knot). This is the weird part. Things started to Feel wrong in the home..I just felt it. So one day while I was walking out the door her mom stopped me.." Um Dave..Dont tell anyone .. but I just wanted to let you know that you might not want to be here while my husband is away at work. He thinks we are having an Affair ... You might want to put an effort into getting your own home soon". You heard right ladies and gents..I was being accused of screwing around with my brides own Mother by my brides Dad . Needles to say I was moved out in short order. I didnt say anything to my wife until we moved out. I brought it up one day "Hey honey..did your mom ever tell you about this Affair thing your dad was thinking about her and I ?". She never was told about it. Here is the Kicker..When I told her that I could not believe that he even could think such a thing her only response was that she could not see why her mom would lie. I was floored ! "You cant possibly believe that your mom and I were having sex right ?!" I exclaimed. Her response .. "I just dont know why she would lie..I dont know what to think". Kinda messed up isnt it. So one day we at here parents house drinking and playing cards. I felt really strange being around him and I wanted to resolve this feeling so I brought the issue up. I asked him how in the world he would have thought such a thing..was it something I did? He denied ever saying or thinking it. So I looked at grandma and asked if she would please tell him what she told me. .. She proceeded to deny ever saying it. So there I was..sitting at the table with 3 people.. one of which (grandma) I KNOW is lying..another that doesnt believe me or thinks that Im Lying (my wife) and finally (grandpa) sitting there acting indifferent about the whole conversation. I have brought the issue up many times in the 9 years following and I still dont have a solid answer to my wifes feeling. All I have gotten was basically "oh just let it go already". So theres my relational foundation for my in-laws. I have since had a one on one with grandpa and basically let go of the whole thing..past is the past and we are on a clean slate. He does seem like a nice guy actually...

Lavande;1585321 wrote: Dave, I feel bad that you have to deal with your in-laws as well. As you can tell.. I try not to as much as possible. But now you know one of the reasons why I feel like I do.

Luckyflower;1585337 wrote: So?.. Day 30 had arrived. I just cannot believe it. I feel SUPER. I remember on my 3rd AF day reading posts of people with 30 and I envied the feeling. Honestly, I did not believe it could happen to me. I was very skeptical about myself.Congratulations Lucky on your 30 days ! .. Boy that was a GREAT post ! I feel the same way about all of us here..a family :l

istym4me;1585357 wrote: Dave- what happened to make it possible that your kids stay with the grandparents?(Na..mom just took them and moved in with her parents. Stay strong your making great headway. Im going to have to get back into baking it seems...for MWO if nothing else LOL.

Byrdlady;1585370 wrote:
                    LuckyFlower, you may be more of a listener, but your post was amazing. You speak in quality, not quantity!! I hope you will put that in the Tool Box for others!!
                    I completely agree !

Hey Byrdie .. I feel so bad that your going through this crap..not a good time of year to deal with a crashed Pooter. If you like .. I would be more than happy to see if there is anything I can do. You only have to ask. :l

Elvis;1585389 wrote:
                    What does GWAWKY MAE mean?
                    It almost got to a point where you can use it for anything .. kinda like .. "STATION !" ..

istym4me;1585415 wrote:
                    I want to add a photo! How? HOW? HOW?
                    Ill put that into my guide..but so far I think you can only do a small pic.

Sanchez - Its good to hear from you. Thanks :-) . I heard the same thing about retirement..sounds like a lot of work to me lol.

broken halo;1585459 wrote:
                    You don't always have to be cheerful. It is okay to hurt, especially in the situation you are in. And it is absolutely okay to share it here. So shut up and bake some stuff.
                    Yes Mam' .. :-)

Well I had more posts that I wanted to reply to..but the little one just woke up and Im not wasting any time with them. Again Thank you everyone for the cheerios and milk. Somethings said that really hit home with me. But just a quick update..I just found out that we have a court date set for the 25th of November. Custody and Exclusive use of the home will be contested. Im so excited !

Welp im off for a bit. I will talk to you as soon as I can. Wishing the nest :h

Dave Attached files [img]/converted_files/2218597=7660-attachment.jpg[/img]
                    Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
                    AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Happy Saturday to everyone

Willow, I'm a big believer in herbal supplements, pharmaceuticals turn me off
                      I use valerian or melatonin to help with sleep, change up as needed.
                      The big problem for me is that I am accident prone when I don't sleep - not good!
                      I want to stay happy & healthy so I do everything I can to get some decent sleep.

LB, what are you going to do if you find that your 21 year olds are using again?
                      I'm sorry you have to deal with this!

j-vo, happy birthday to your son! 16 is a big one, very exciting
                      I'm feeling old because my 'baby' is turning 33 next week :H

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Saturday!
                      Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

DH is watching the kids so that I can have a nap. Hopefully that will 'reset' my sleep cycle for tonight - if I'm overtired I find it really hard to sleep ironically!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters. DTD coffee is great. NS - I dug out the stevia extract. Dave - your life has been on the upswing ever since you stopped drinking, it can only get better. I want to buy a boat just so you can fix it. Willow - I started feeling a bit down around 10 days. I didn't feel like the robust healthy joyful person that I pictured I would be with alcohol. I get to face those things sober now - there is contentment in that. JV & LC - I liked that book as well - so much to relate. I never was a 'secret' drunk - there is no escaping by bumbling, slurring and staggering (and unwillingness to release the ironclad grip on my wineglass) when I overindulged. Taking a close relative out on the town tonight for a celebration and a tour of the town. I'm not drinking today. Hope you all have a wonderful Saturday - let's go for an 'anxiety-free' day today!
                          10/14/13: I am truly grateful for another day in this amazing life. I'm sober and mindful of every moment.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gwawky MAE! Yay, I learned something! And nice to know since it also means anything I want it to mean, I can't screw it up!

Lifechange - Yes, yesterday was much easier! I'm on Day 3, or Day 87/110 really, however I want to think of it. Sorry your back is still bothering you. If you can soak in a warm Jacuzzi or bath, that helps me. Stick to your plan today and don't give in to the cravings! Remember what you told me, they always go away. Keep yourself well fed and hydrated, and don't forget to use the TOOLBOX!

Okay, time to get my lazy butt off the couch and get on with the weekend.
                            11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all - good morning - dat 27 AF and feels wonderful. Hope you all having a good morning.
                              Dave - sorry you have to go through those things. Just an idea - May be your mother in law used that lie so she can get you out of her house quickly?
                              AF since 10/20/2013
                              Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                              Meat free since 09/20/2008
                              ---------------------------------------
                              With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all--it helps so much having you all in my thoughts as I'm out and about, knowing we're all fighting the same battle. The AL voice has been oscillating between pesky and downright aggressive. I was able to think all the way through to tomorrow morning, even a few hours from now and I am 100% sure that I don't want to be THERE. But I feel quite sad, almost in tears, a pity party, I guess. I never know how long to let them go on. Sometimes I think it's probably ok to let ourselves just feel how we feel. But then I think at some point it's necessary to stand up straight and fake it till we make it. Anyway the house is still a pit and I haven't even started the fixin's for tomorrow.

Jvo, I hope you all have a lovely 16th Bday party! What kind of cake are you baking? I am ordering the book today.. I've heard from others as well that it's fantastic. thanks.
                                and LBeagle, thank you and stay strong. I hope you find out soon what's going on.

see you all in a bit. I'm staying CLOSE today.

Comment

Working...
                                X