Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Loveless and Katty- Do you have a plan that helps you NOT drink? First get you stomach full. Either load up on fluid, like iced tea and water or bubbly water, real lemon lemonade... If you haven't gotten your arsenal ready, get it ready. Lots of different fluids, something has got to get rid of the type of thirst you don't want to quench. For me that means lemonade with maple and cayenne in it. If you don't have lots of fluid, get lots of fruit and make yourself fruit platters and veggie platters to grab at while you are in the craving periods. Many on here have great advice for what to do but a plan is so important. Make your own list of activities. I had mine in dry erase on my bedroom dresser mirror. Seriously, it's kind-of silly but when you are in the craving stage a simple list to read was important.
    Mine was GO for a walk. Anything, walk out the door! Go do laundry, Go clean off the deck. Change out plants from potters. Clean the fridge. Wash windows and mirrors. (not the one with the list!) Exercise, of any kind... make a list for your exercise. Also, make a list of mantras... maybe 5 simple ones and repeat them. When a craving hits, do 10 situps followed by 10 leg lifts each side, squats 10 each side, side stretches, 20 each side, 5 by 5 Slow.... I actually wrote all this and would stare at it to concentrate. I haven't had to do it this time but have during other times when I have tried to avoid drinking. Right now, I am on the nordic trac doing 1/2 an hour and writing this. I took one kudzu and one LGlut. I am doing this because I DON'T want the cravings! I haven't had one in 2-3 days so I was getting in the mind-set of "OH, it's not that bad!"
    Also, one thing that doesn't get brought up much is simple breathing exercises. It's so hard to get to 10 before you forget why you are ding them, but it does help.Slowly in through the nose, feel your rib cage extend and your tummy come in... slowly release though your mouth... try to get to 10. If you get there and are still in a frenzy, sit down, legs straight out arms over head and start again. Say a mantra. I LET GO... I LET GRACE. Breathe. Slows your heart rate, rids that fear/panic you feel from depriving yourself.

Why do we fear NOT drinking?
    WE should FEAR drinking since we know the problems it causes. Also, Journal. WRITE YOUR HEART OUT- here or on paper or a desktop journal. Anything to purge. Try to stay away from the self-berating journal entries. From being here for a while( my second time on MWO) one aspect of this is that WE ALL HAVE very low self-esteem and beat ourselves up more than anyone else could possibly beat us up!

You can do this! AND BTW the more you post the more you HELP others, even those that has long been AF= Alcohol FREE. It reminds them of where they don't want to go. And their posting in turn shows you their progress and WHERE you do want to go...

Katty and Loveless and the rest of us NEWBIES- YOU can set goals and succeed. Day 1 Day 3... I think the first goal should be anything that breaks your pattern for a bit. Mine was 3 days. I am an every other day drinker so to get to day 3 was HUGE. Now on day 7. What's my next goal? I had said 30... but that is because it's the secondary goal that's primarily posted here. I think I am back to- Today I will not drink and it's DAY 1 again. IT doesn't have to be Day 8.

Comment

Newbies Nest

thank you for the advice. im seeing my doctor very soon but im worried about withdrawal symptoms until then...should i just keep drinking until then? or no?
      ?That's the problem with drinking,
      If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
      if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
      and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
      ― Charles Bukowski
      :wings::wings:
      Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Loveless;1585929 wrote: thank you for the advice. im seeing my doctor very soon but im worried about withdrawal symptoms until then...should i just keep drinking until then? or no?

LL, withdrawal symptoms are usually
        more a mental thing of letting go and a little voice that is just really a shit head telling oh, you can't really quit. If you are committed to your quit, then you are and you'll get informed about what you're up against. In Byrdie's signature line is a link called "the toolbox". There is a lot of good stuff there.

All this being said I need to qualify that I really don't know how heavy a drinker you are. I was a 12 beer a night person for some years. I did not suffer any withdrawal other than being grouchy for awhile. I used the subscription option here to get the kudzu and book. Also found that L-Glutamine was effective for me. The book was more for moderation, which I was hoping to do but decided that I really just needed to enjoy life without being altered. It has really been a refreshing way to live.

best to you
        Sam
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Loveless- how much do you drink? Was it you that wrote about the saki or two plus bottles of wine?

Comment

Newbies Nest

What's VERY SOON? If you are drinking hard alcohol I would say do not quit cold turkey. BUT I think many of the scare stories are a bit hyped. My father has drank hard alcohol past what should have killed him and then stopped cold turkey NUMEROUS times! (Ha!) But that doesn't mean everyone fairs so well.

I would start taking cool showers if you are feeling really messed up. NOT COLD showers, cool showers and do some deep breathing in there and then come back and check in.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello & welcome Katty & Loveless!
              Glad you both found us

I started out by downloading the MWO book from the Health store here on the site. It will answer a lot of your questions.
              Be sure to visit the Tool box too to get lots of ideas to help you make your plans.
              Don't just wish for your sobriety. Do the work & make your plans. Be sure to cover all your drinking triggers. We talk a lot around here about HALT
              Hungry
              Angry
              Lonely
              Tired
              Cover all this bases especially the Hungry part. Very often we confuse AL cravings with just plain old hunger.

Lots of us have found success, you both can too

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

At the end of Day 10. Thanks again all for the support today.

Took my L Glut earlier and did the cider vinegar thing too - oh my word, that stuff is disgusting and I felt quite ill after for about 5-10 minutes, BUT I can feel it working in me if you know what I mean.

J-Vo - I hope the party goes well and your son has a lovely birthday. What a lucky young man be is to be having such a celebration - my parents didn't do anything for me for my 16th! You're a great mum.

Hope everyone else is having a good Saturday and talk tomorrow x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ha! Yeah, ACV is tough to stomach, the suckables are so great!

YOu are doing great Willow- so happy for you!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Lav
                    the wife is up in your neck of the woods this week, doing a yoga training. I tell her to be on the look out for chickens!
                    Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

istym4me;1585940 wrote: Loveless- how much do you drink? Was it you that wrote about the saki or two plus bottles of wine?
                      yeah thats what I usually drink give or take
                      ?That's the problem with drinking,
                      If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
                      if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
                      and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
                      ― Charles Bukowski
                      :wings::wings:
                      Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

LOVELY aka Loveless.... Okay, I have who you are in my head now, I won't forget again.
                        Saki is an interesting choice. No sushi with it?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters

Hello loveless (sad name that!) and hello Katty! Nice to see you both here, you'll get a lot of help and support.

As to withdrawals, I am no expert, I think everyone is different. My own experience was that it depended on how long and how much I drank, and also what I drank. I've only had really bad withdrawals a very few times, and that was after long drawn out bevvy sessions that lasted a few days. The good news is you are here, and you'll get lots of help and support. Check out the link to the toolbox that Byrdie posted and give it your all. :welcome:

I haven't read all of what's been posted. I had a really busy day, but a wonderful one. Went into town to see the Christmas lights and do a bit of shopping with the 'new' fella. We had something to eat and wandered round the Christmas market, it was magical and I feel dead Christmassy now!

LC, I am so glad you are feeling better after your wee battle with the thoughts. We all get those times, you dealt with it really well by posting it. Hanging on to sobriety is everything to us. We have so much to lose by drinking, and everything to gain from being sober! :l

Hey Sam, Lavande, good to see you two old timers :H Your posts always give me a lift

Willow, well done on day 10, awesome! Keep at it, being sober only gets better and better!:goodjob:

Why do we fear NOT drinking? WE should FEAR drinking since we know the problems it causes
                          istym4me, well said! Drink is the thing we have to fear, not being sober.

The nest is a busy place these days, it's hard to keep up. But I am thinking of everyone and hoping your Saturday is as magical as mine was. :l
                          Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Itstym! Congrats on your 7 days! Around here we give prizes for such things!
                            GWAWKers, please drop your pants for Itstyme4me!

:moon:

Heres to kicking Al's arse for 7 full days! You have conquered every day of the week including a Friday! Great job!!!
                            Heresj to many moons ahead! Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                              Didn't get all I wanted done today but I tried...
                              Learned something today....before tasting all the goodies read the recipe to see if there is wine in it....almost made that mistake today....saw the wind bottle on the table and looked at the recipe..sure enough Chardonnay...so I ate chocolate instead....I like the recipe so I will make it without the wine...always something....
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

I didn't see the 7 days! Well done Itstym4me! :goodjob:
                                Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Working...
                                X