Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Pavati, I hope everything is ok. We will be here when you are ready to come back.
    11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I've been thinking about the "No thanks, I don't drink" thing lately. This Saturday is a pretty big deal for my friends and I. It's our yearly traditional football game. None of us are really good enough to play football, which makes it more fun. Anyway, afterwards, the tradition is we go to a local brewery and have dinner and beer.

My plan is to ask if they brew non-alcoholic beer and if they do, I will drink that. If not, I will order soda. But I've been thinking what I will say when I get the inevitable "Why are you not drinking?" They are good friends so I don't want to lie, but "I don't drink anymore" will lead to follow-up questions and I don't know if I'm ready to "come out" yet.
      11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning/afternoon/evening everyone! I hope you are all doing well. Just came back from a work conference that was followed by a cocktail reception with an open bar. I am proud to say that I got through the whole evening without a single drink. day 1 is almost over
        "Your body is a temple, but keep the spirits on the outside."
        :wings:
        Sanity: "Minds are like parachutes...Just because you lost yours doesnt mean you can borrow mine."

Comment

Newbies Nest

clockworkorange :goodjob::thumbs::wd:
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening nesters!

I've missed quite a bit since heading off for my Highland adventure, I won't be able to get to everything and everyone in this post, but here goes.

Londoner, bet you feel fantastic after being AL free this weekend. Well done! I love that you are sounding so positive.

Allan, sorry you had such a bad experience, all because you said you didn't drink! I haven't really experienced that yet. People I know are used to me not drinking at social events. Towards the end of my drinking I would take the car and not drink for fear of making an arse of myself, only to come home and guzzle wine like there was no tomorrow. I was at a wedding yesterday where I didn't really know anyone but my new fella. It was a highland wedding and I was expecting to maybe be questioned on it, but I wasn't. Maybe it's an age thing, but hers seemed like a total over-reaction.

Tess, welcome back! :l I am sorry you have had such a hard time, it is really good to see you back, you were missed!

Willow, well done on not giving in, it's not easy sometimes but it's sooo worth it!

Elvis, don't stress about it. If you are not comfortable telling them the truth, lie. It's only a white lie and it's in a good cause. Offer to be the DD. Say you are on antibiotics. Or your blood pressure is high. Anything that makes it easier for you not to lift a drink my friend.

Dave, tomorrow will be a big day for you. I am sure you will look spiffing in your court attire, but the important thing is that you have a voice there. That you have say in your boys' future. You know that we will all be there in spirit, rooting for you and hoping you get what you are wishing for with all your heart. Whatever happens, we are here for you. :l

So, the wedding. We had a great time. Me and the new fella. The bride looked absolutely stunning. I always cry at weddings. My friends think it's hilarious because as a divorcee I am not a big fan of marriage in general, oh, but I love weddings! :H

His family were really nice and made me feel right at home. We all kind of knew about each other because he and I have been friends for a long time. We stayed in a nice hotel overnight and went for a brisk walk (all wrapped up, it was freezing!) before breakfast. I am city girl born and bred, but I have always felt in awe of the places that are so close to home, yet so different. Mountains, vast empty spaces, breathtaking scenery. I felt more alive this morning than I have in years. I was clean and sober. Walking in one of the most beautiful places in the world before breakfast on a Sunday morning! Unheard of in my previous life, my drinking life.

I feel very grateful tonight for many things, but most of all for being sober, clear headed, and being able to appreciate the truly beautiful things in life.

This is a 'Dave' post. It was supposed to be a quick hello, and turned into War and Peace!

Goodnight everyone from a sleepy and happy BH :l
            Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Fellow Nesters

I just wanted to stop by quickly say hello and hope everyone had a great day.

Im almost done getting all my 'stuff' ready for tomorrow so I cant stay. I hope to be back later to say goodnight though but if not have a good night and I will tell you all about what happened.

And way to go Willow on your 7 days !

Dave
              Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gabran
              AF: 9-10-2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dave we will be in your pocket....you will do great and look good too!!
                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey y'all! It is cold down here. And y'all know if there is even a chance of ice down here in the south, they will shut this place DOWN!! Lol. They don't trust us fools on the roads!

Hi Tess and welcome back!

Allan, sounds like that young "lady" was a real boob! Good riddance I say.

Dave - you are on my mind for tomorrow. I have faith and am sending positive vibes:l

Clockworkorange
                  - welcome and great job:welcome:.

Badass willow
                  - good job! Prove him wrong and get your satisfaction, don't dare give it away to him !

So I drug down all of the christmas decor and I am gonna start putting it out. Yeah, yeah, I know it is not even thanksgiving but I am sober and have never been in at least the last 15 years. Besides, what do I care what the people think!
                  I have been doing a lot of sewing and embroidery. Made my mama the most beautiful apron, and also one for my mother-in-law. I've also been making "gift baskets" that are sewn with burlap on the outside and gorgeous liner fabrics. I also embroider the initials on the outside. I am going to make homemade jams, candies, dish towels etc to fill them. Having so much fun making all of this stuff'!!
                  I was looking at my countdown app, and guess what? Thanksgiving is 60 days for me! And I will be given thanks. Sobriety has informed me that I am not the useless, despicable person that AL said I was and now I can begin to appreciate Sherry (me, not the wine) lol
                  Has anyone heard from Honey?

Have a great night!
                  Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
                  -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cat I know how you feel. I am really excited to celebrate sober holidays this year. I have had Christmas lights up in my living room all month. Just a few of the fun ones.
                    Bhalo I am so glad you had a lovely time. I am envious of all that beautiful nature you got to enjoy.
                    Dave sending positive thoughts your way.
                    Good job clockwork. Keep it up.
                    Willow you are doing great. 7 days.
                    Have a great night all.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

little beagle - are you still busy making your wonderful holiday sweets? I know sober holidays will be wonderful - I have my husbands family coming over on Thursady - 20+ people - normally I would start drinking brandy around 2 pm and by the time people arrive I am "feeling good". This year I will be able to remember things! Yes! It is going to be amazing! Willow - congrats on 7 days!!!
                      Dave
                      - you will rock tomorrow!!!
                      AF since 10/20/2013
                      Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                      Meat free since 09/20/2008
                      ---------------------------------------
                      With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dave-we all will be thinking about you tomorrow and sending positive vibes your way. You sound very prepared and I'm sure you will shine!
                        hugs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gwawky MAE!!
                          I'm a very early bird this morning, so I've got coffee brewed and I'm afraid it's oatmeal with cinnamon and apples again, DO. I wanted to be more creative! I guess I could whip up some cinnamon apple scones, if you like? Not much compared to chocolate chilli muffins, I know!

Welcome Clockwork! great job getting through Day 1-- the most difficult of them all (IMO!) and you did it! Good to have you in the Nest!!

Morning Sanchez!

Great post, Cat! I'm also really looking forward to a sober holiday season. And although all of us here are in different places physically, we will be together in spirit, many of us for the first sober holiday seasons in ages! Will be very nice. You have stressed me out a bit though regarding gifts!:H Damn! You're on top of it, I'll say. I think I'll get a few things together today...

Lbeagle, How it coming with the chocolates? Could you name off a few of your favourites just to get us in the mood??

Elvis, I agree with Bhalo-- I would put it off to antibiotics, digestion issues, headaches, health kick. I don't think it's bad at all to tell a couple of little stories if you aren't comfortable with the full blown version. Or if you think too many questions will be asked with the simple, No thanks! I know a lot of people want to push it, so an excuse is necessary. Let us know how it goes and what works!

Bhalo, sounds like it was a gorgeous wedding and such a nice time with your new man. What a treat to be in the HIghlands. I've never been there-- just seen pictures and documentaries. But I can imagine how your morning walk was and I'm envious!! You sound so stable right now-- strong and happy and loving your sober life.!

Dave!! Thinking of you today! Hoping and praying that everything goes well and looking forward to hearing from you this afternoon..

I'm off to the gym for the 2nd! day in a row. Last week I had such terrible back pain, it affected my entire being and how I was with others. Yesterday, after exercising, I was thinking about how lucky I am to be quite healthy. Last week was the first time I had any sort of cravings to drink during my current (and last!) quit -- and now, without the pain, I feel on top of the world again. It must be so much more challenging to quit drinking if you have great physical or mental problems. I was thinking of Lovely and her RA and how much more difficult it must be to see/find positive aspects of life when you're in so much constant pain. I didn't respond much to her posts because I didn't think I could say anything that would help, but in my mind, I wasn't as compassionate as I could have been. I find it difficult sometimes to put my feet in the shoes of others-- but it's my goal to try to be more empathetic and compassionate while keeping my own boundaries/limitations for helping others in check.

See you all later!xo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Everyone,
                            Tess, you have really shown how strong you are, not drinking at such a difficult time. I know i'll have to face my own parents' passing in the next few years; it was one of the reasons i really, really wanted to quit for good. To drink at such a time would be dangerous indeed. Power to you, Tess.
                            This Wednesday my partner and i are going to the coast for two weeks' holiday. It was under such circumstances i fell off the wagon a couple of years ago. So i will be reinforcing my quit this time!
                            The more AF time i get under my belt, the deeper and more exciting my life feels. It feels more real!
                            Best wishes to everyone; stay strong and make plans for tomorrow, next week, next year...
                            love,
                            Steady
                            AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good luck Dave thinking of you and hoping for the best, the children always come first in our lives.
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mae all. Yes the chocolate making is coming along. I need to get busy this week with it. I have a very decadent Top Secret chocolate Cookie recipe that I use peppermint chips and means in. Very Christmasy and honestly you have to be careful how many you eat they are so rich.
                                I am a little sick of chocolate already.
                                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X