Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Steadfast Stay strong this time around. It's great when the alcohol spell starts fading and you can enjoy life for what it is.

Beagle
    They sound very, very tempting. You should create a shop on here

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters!

Cannot believe my outside thermometer is reading 16 degrees F this morning - way too cold!!!!
      Grateful for my cozy house, well built & insulated

We're all with you in spirit today Dave & wishing you the best!

Wishing everyone a warm & AF Monday!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters
        A very late check-in today - the town was without electricity for almost 24 hours. I've just made a fresh pot of coffee, with, listen to this - pure mountain water that was collected yesterday.

Life, thanks for standing in again! Cinnamon apple scones, please - I hear that NoS gave you a no-sugar and no-gluten recipe for them, not so? :H:H

I hope everybody has an unblue AF Monday!
        14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
          Dave, thinking of you and sending you THE most positive vibes available.
          Everyone sounds GREAT! We're in the home stretch!! Shore up your plans and lets join our collective arms together and keep AL out!! No sips, No Slips, No falls!!!
          Hugs to all this chilly morning!! BBBBrrrrr.....Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Byrdie.. Oh how I wish I could I could teleport some of this humid Asian heat to you in Carolina.. It's 10pm and still 29 c... probably not as bad as being freezing but still uncomfortable.. there are only so many clothes you can take off until you realise you have nothing on and you're still hot!!!
            x Patrice

Comment

Newbies Nest

Afternoon all. Cold here too, not as cold as some of you guys on the East Coast in the States but still chilly. Going out to look at a house soon - it looks amazing in the photos but it a) might be too far north as DH works in and around London and b) might be slightly too expensive. But hey, don't ask don't get right?

Cat, those sound like wonderful presents, you're a very talented lady. Londoner, I'm glad you're sounding more positive.

Hello to everyone else too, I'll check back tonight x

Comment

Newbies Nest

GWAWKY MAE!

It feels wonderful to wake up on Monday morning well rested and refreshed, instead of holding my head in my hands and mumbling to myself and going through the motions to get myself dressed and out the door on time. Though I did oversleep 10 minutes, oops!

Thanks for the advice. I probably will just shrug it off or tell a white lie to whoever asks when we go out Saturday. I forget that I have been around this group multiple times when I was moderating so they've seen me on non-drinking days before. I've been able to avoid the question with some distraction, or a little humor. So I'll come up with a few one-liners by the weekend, not worry about it, and enjoy my AF night out.
                11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh just a quick one though - I ate some of the kids sweets earlier. I didn't eat many honest, but I now have a headache and feel a bit queasy again. I've never really thought about it before quitting AL but it looks like sugar and I don't mix. Obviously sweet enough already :H

So, as there's so much sugar in AL no wonder I always feel so ill afterwards. Another reason to add to my list.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all,
                    Another day sober (day 22). I'd asked about what to say and whether there was a list of things on the board. A few suggestions cropped up on this thread, such as adding 'anymore' to 'I don't drink' for people who know you and to indicate health issues. I've got an event in early December when drinking is in order. Not necessarily a lot, but it's one of those 'memorial drinking' times. I've got to think of a comfortable way to get out of having the obligatory memorial drink with the least amount of discomfort for me and the other person involved.

Congrats Willow and Clockwork. Your success is contagious! HR
                    Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone,

Tess, I'm well! I'm very glad that you had a support system to rely on. I'm sorry you were feeling miserable, but you did the right thing reaching out and getting yourself help, while protecting your quit. That is very brave of you. I know that you were having a difficult time, but you kept yourself afloat!

Friends, don't struggle with this thing, just persevere. Struggling is like that part in cheesy movies where a character is hanging on by their fingertips about to fall off the edge of the cliff. Struggling sounds like such imminent failure! Don't let yourself go there! Just quietly persevere. Each one of us can summon up some of that quiet strength, the real inner us that guided us here in the first place. Just put those thoughts out in the compost pile where they belong. They have no place in our lives and only hold us all back.

I'm so glad for Thanksgiving coming up. I'm going to be able to spend time with my extended family. I'm planning on going shopping on Wednesday and buying some wonderful fruit, cheese, olives and maybe even some cookies (don't hate me, NoSugar!) to snack on and enjoy the day.

Have a great AF day!
                      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Humble, would it be possible to have a non-alcoholic drink already poured and in your hand before the 'memorial drink' time? This way when offered, you can can just say, "No thanks, I'm good." and gesture to the drink already in hand. I've used that technique successfully at weddings and other events where you are expected raise a glass to give a toast.
                        11/5/2014

[moon] [guy] [shout] [two] [horse] [three] [rockon] [worthy] [spin] [allgood] [two] [dancin] [shout] [baby] [fist] [celebrate] [dancin] [rockon] [welldone] [bouncy] [applause2] [dancing] [lucky] [worthy] [llama] [shout] [horn] [three] [applause] [hyper] [dancegirl] [black] [bumpit] [sohappy] [horse] inkele: :applause2: :yay:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Everyone,

It's great to see all of you in The Nest!! Sam, little beagle, broken halo, Cat, Pinecone, Steady - I appreciate your kindness.

[QUOTE=HumbleRider] ...Tess, that's great that you didn't drink after your mom died. A death in my immediate family would be a trigger for me to pick up the bottle, for sure...

HumbleRider - Thanks for your support. Yes, I really wanted to get wasted and somehow reach a state of oblivion. And people around me were drinking, which made it easy to justify a drink. But I knew that alcohol wouldn't really bring the relief from suffering that I wanted. Alcohol just isn't the answer. I'm no longer sure what the answer is (to suffering), but I am certain that alcohol is not the answer.

Make it an AF Monday, All. You will never regret it!!
                          Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
                          pointed the way
                          with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                            Mid 20's here bbbbbbrrrrr only need to run to the post office to mail bills so dont have to get out of my car. So glad to be warm and safe...AND sober.
                            The holidays are getting closer so I am fortifying my reslofe to be AF. I have never liked the holidays but am really trying to get in the mood this year. Maybe that will help me..
                            Dave thinking about you...
                            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just thought I'd update. Finally starting to feel human again - that only took 8 days for me to recover from my last binge.

Feeling human emotions again

My word. Got to keep that horror show in my mind so I don't creep back into the AL binges.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner;1590113 wrote: Got to keep that horror show in my mind so I don't creep back into the AL binges.
                                Londoner,

this strategy worked well for me so far.
                                AF since 1st Sep 2012
                                NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Working...
                                X