Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi, June

The holiday falls on the 4th Thursday so it moves around. This is a late one!

Happy Thanksgiving to all Nesters - even if it isn't a holiday you celebrate tomorrow, we can all be grateful for finding a supportive place to help us radically change our lives for the better. I'm thankful to be here and appreciate all of you.

:l NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is 11pm and I survived the night AF....whew....I was having the conversation in my head all night.....Off to bed...zzzzz
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done Dottie. You can wake in morning and feel good!
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

….. sitting here drinking tea and watching the best Thanksgiving movie of all time…….. Planes, Trains and Automobiles !!

Safe travels everyone !!
          I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone-- Like NS said, it's a good opportunity to give thanks, even if we aren't celebrating in the usual way..We don't have Thanksgiving here so I celebrated with friends a couple of weeks ago! But I am thinking of you all today and giving thanks once again.:l
            DO! Here's the coffee-- today I'm making espresso drinks, I drink an americano with a splash of milk, but I can do anything! and I have any kind of milk you can imagine-- with the exception of goats milk! I have some pumpkin pie and apple crumble with whipped cream to get us off on the right Thanksgiving foot.

WineBGone--nice bike!! Looks like you could go on some really great road trips. Can you ride year round? Planes, trains and automobiles! Have to watch that one again with the kids. I remember it being super funny.

Sixtyfour, of course we remember you!!:l Glad to see you back here. I agree that this would be a great time to continue back on the right foot. Maybe when you're feeling better you could tell us a little bit about how you've been the past couple of weeks. Sometimes it takes getting very sick to get back on track..

Lav, are you having the whole gang over to yours? I can imagine you go all out for
            T-day. I hope you have a restful night and gain back the energy you need to enjoy the day!

Wishing everyone a wonderful MAE!

Comment

Newbies Nest

LC can I ask where u live? Just curious as I am off to bed and it seems like u are just getting up...
              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

M/A/E just checking in. Day 4 almost over without incident. Starting to feel much better. Hope everyone is doing well
                "Your body is a temple, but keep the spirits on the outside."
                :wings:
                Sanity: "Minds are like parachutes...Just because you lost yours doesnt mean you can borrow mine."

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in quickly tonight. I have been cooking.. Upside down apple pie, cranberry nut bread and a few others. Just getting started. See you in the am.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

To all the Nesters, whether you celebrate Thanksgiving or not: have a day filled with gratitude.

LC, I certainly am grateful for the coffee - and apple crumble is the best breakfast on the planet! (My uncle kept goats and milked his nanny daily!)

Have a lovely AF Thanksgiving Thursday, Nesters
                    14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

My second attempt to post; i did a long post but must've been "timed out" or something.

Happy Thanksgiving to all in the U.S. I imagine Thanksgiving must be kinda like Xmas: family and the joys and challenges they can bring, and our old FRENEMY Al, sitting down at the table and winking at us. It aint worth paying the price of drinking and then waking up worse for wear.

Pinecone, i really like and agree with your concept of "persevering" rather than "struggling"; it's a great way to view maintaining sobriety.

I'm experiencing the novelty of an AF holiday. The AV has whispered in my ear. So i'll be planning lots of fun things to do, and jumping into the Nest regularly.

It's great to see lots of good progress being made by Nesters. Wherever you are on this planet, whatever your day brings, stay true to your better self.

love, Steady
                      AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

P.S DreamThinkDo, I join you in giving thanks for the coffee!
                        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Thanksgiving America - stay strong and enjoy the food, rather than the AL.

Had my first workout in 10 days this morning, which is always a good sign.

Finally looking like I have recovered from the binge 10 days ago.

I've uploaded a graph of how I perceive my life to have been for the last 10 years:

1) My mood is okay
                          2) I drink alcohol - a sudden high and then bigger low.
                          3) Slow recovery
                          4) Binge Drink again after a while, bigger high and then a massive low.
                          5) Drink again before being recovered, mood is lower than ever
                          6) Self medicate with sugar binges which gradually makes my mood lower and lower.
                          7) Eventually try and recover, which can take weeks to make me start to feel normal again.

I don't want to live this life anymore. The graph would repeat itself over and over and that is my life for the last 10 years. I've never gone longer than a month or so without binge drinking.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner I went years and years doing exactly that same thing. After 6 months I felt better, but that can really destroy your health. I fide not even try and stop until fairly recently. You are do lucky to find this site and get a much earlier start. I think that shows maturity and well just a great sense of self preservation. I can tell that you're going to make it.
                            Steady so glad to see you. Its wonderful to have my quit buddy still here.
                            I am off to cook some more.
                            Have a great mae all.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all. We've been out to town, fed the squirrels, pigeons and ducks and been to the supermarket - I went for bread sauce, cranberry juice and a few bits for the local food bank. Came out with 3 full bags of shopping having spent ?27! How does this happen?!

Anyway, so now we're home, if DH gets home early today we are going to put up the Christmas tree. Until then we are going to learn about Thanksgiving and it's history, then make angel decorations. No 'formal' work today - DS is still feeling a bit blah and to be honest I don't feel like doing much myself! There is a 'feeling' in the air though - I think the excitement about Christmas is really starting to build.

Hope everyone is well. A funny thing I noticed this morning - I picked up some Crabbies sparkling raspberry and ginger at the supermarket. I'm really looking forward to trying it - not so long ago if it didn't contain AL I wouldn't have been interested. I'm glad that my mindset is starting to change - thank you all for your support along the way.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters

Sunny & chilly - a good day for a ride to Grandma's house :H
                                LC, yes I am feeding an army of 12 today!

LB, now you have me wondering exactly what an upside down cherry pie is

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Thanksgiving Thursday, celebrating or not.
                                I am grateful for so much today & grateful for all of you

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X