Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

MAE all! Hope you're having a great Sunday. All you Americans must be full and cosy after your long weekend eh?

I had family here in town this weekend. Yesterday we decided to have dinner at my place, it was sort of spur of the moment, but no biggy, my sister helped me cook, the other sister entertained my mum. On the way over I said to my one sister do you think so and so and her beau will mind that there's no booze at my house? And right way my mum pipes up "What? Well I'd really like you to stop so that I can buy some wine." I was agitated and torn. I knew that if I said no she would be a cranky bitch, if I said yes I might be the cranky one LOL. Anyway it turned out all right, she drank too much, and at the end of the evening when I was about to drive her home, I put the rest of the 1.5 litre bottle in her bag. She said oh I was going to leave that for you. I said Mum you know I don't drink. Well she says you could have it here for other guests. I said I don't want it in the house. People don't get it do they? I am nearly 6 months AF and having that bottle in my house when everyone leaves is just still not ok. I don't want that kind of temptation in the house at all. I learned that here. Why have AL within reaching distance if you don't have to? Setting yourself up for success is the key.

Meanwhile how is everyone doing? Londoner I love hearing you sound so positive. I don't know if you remember but I have a son your age. You must make your Mum proud, not all 25 year olds are able to be self reflective. A lot are just not ready for it.

Newbies, I haven't been here as much as I used to, but I do lurk now and again, so I may not be up to speed with all of your situations, but I want you to know whatever it takes to get to the point where AL is not even a consideration in your life, it is well worth it. This is true freedom.
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear Londoner,

Please remember what it is to feel human compared to a week ago. That IS the excitement.
      Tess in The Nest ~ Sober since January 1, 2013

The man pulling radishes
      pointed the way
      with a radish. ISSA

Comment

Newbies Nest

June so glad to hear from you. And no it seems a lot of people just don't get it. I am so glad that we do!
        Tess good to hear from you.
        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello lovelies, I missed coffee this morning and my day just hasn't been the same!
          I'm also glad we're done with the Thanksgiving leftovers-- I was running out of recycling ideas, as was DO!

AClassic, :welcome: back! It sounds like you're ready to give it a real effort and have received lots of great advice. I hope you'll be here a lot! In the beginning I felt like I was probably driving everyone crazy with my twice daily (at least) posts! Now I know that even if I was, it doesn't matter! Writing and sharing and getting it all out is so important and helpful-- we are all here to support eachother in any way we can, so get super cosy on your branch!

3June, that was a tough situation which you handled so well. Really well. I can't imagine ever wanting alcohol just sitting around in my house again. I am beginning to trust myself and my resolve, but you never know when some crazy idea might pop in the tired, stressed, hungry brain, do you? And like you said, WHY have it there? I'm really proud of you--I think I might also have some similar "insensitive parent" issues coming up in the next couple of weeks--

Tess, nice to see you here!!

Willow, How are you doing today?:l

and Available, great job on Day 1!!! So glad to have you back in the Nest.

Londoner, Well done on staying close last night. You're doing a great job! Give yourself a bit more time to figure out how your new life might look like. I know how it is when you want things to happen NOW! But I think if you're patient (easier said than done, I know) and continue on your path, with your goals, things will become more clear for you-- and opportunities will arise that you can't see right now. You're doing huge things for yourself and you can be very proud. We ALL wish we'd done this earlier and you're doing it.. You're a smart and courageous guy!

I am in the midst of trying to pack and clear up my space so I'm going to head off now to do a bit more.
          Thinking of you all this beautiful, cold 1st of December..

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi LBeagle!!! X-post..xo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone. This is my first day on this forum, fifth day since I started working on this program. I still have not received the book that I ordered, which was supposed to have been delivered on Wednesday (Damn UPS!!) or the CDs, but have been taking the supplements since last Tues. It may all be psychological, but my cravings have subsided a great deal.

I did a month of in-patient rehab in Spring, 2011, after ca. 40 years of periodic, and escalating, alcohol abuse. AA kept me sober a bit over a year afterwards, but I've backslid multiple times, and as I posted elsewhere, am a serial AA dropout. After lurking about the forum and reading other information linked here, I am quite hopeful that this program will be what I need. I look forward to interacting with the folks here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome, aclassicgirl. I've been here about a week, and the folks posting here are supportive and helpful. About your 2008 join date, it's never too late to start this journey again. I've been trying off and on for over 20 years, more seriously trying in the past few years. Let's hope we've finally got it right this time!

28 days AF
                Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all and welcome aclassic and Papa. Well Day 2 again for me but made it through Day1 with crap sleep but thats okay. I know I can do this again. I am starting to hate that word AGAIN. No work for me today so going to get stuck into cleaning the house before it gets too hot.

Have a great day. I will be posting like mad at the witching hour I am sure.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Had Jack in the Box for lunch....no AL sold there! Hubs is watching football at a friend's so no beer in the house, right now. Will focus on my kids and remember that I don't want to be the me with a drink in my hand CONSTANTLY! My emotions are raw this afternoon as I seem to have an ever present lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Really need to stay busy.

Londoner, I've been drinking since 15, and now, I'm 40. You're doing the best thing by addressing it today. So smart!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Aclassic, its hard to break old habits, those hours where we used to drink are hard to get through in the first weekk but you can do it. My time is 5pm when i get home from work, feed the dogs and have a wine, that was my priority. Oh stopping to get the wine on the way home also and figuring which bottleshop to go to so they didnt think i was an alky. The list goes on. You dont want the hangovers or the shakes or the anxiety. When i started drinking again after 40 days AF my anxiety levels shot through the roof. How easy it is to fall back into AL. As you said keep busy and its okay to cry. Hugs to you.
                      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters!

Hello & welcome PapaJP, glad you decided to join us
                        Sounds like you have some experience & knowledge of what it takes to quit. To stay quit takes a lot of planning. Be sure you read thru the Tool box, lots of great ideas in there. I loved the Hypno CDs - they really helped me to change my thinking about AL.

AClassic, good job today, stay close!

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi - I see some new people here - welcome Papa JP and Aclassic!!! I had pretty stressful day I managed it anybody heard from Dave?
                          AF since 10/20/2013
                          Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                          Meat free since 09/20/2008
                          ---------------------------------------
                          With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Classic have you talked to hubby about drinking at all?

Papa welcome to the nest! Best advise I was given in the beginning was always have a plan.

A plan to get through the day, the next social gathering, a crisis, a "pusher", a trigger. How will you respond when someone says oh come on just one?

PS Last night when I said to my mum " you know I don't drink" it felt amazing. Cause I don't!
                            Newbies Nest
                            Toolbox
                            My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, Nesters! (thanks for explaining what MAE means, Lavande; i had been wondering!)

Welcome to the new Nesters. You are in a good place! Don't look back and beat yourself up; look to the good future you can create for yourself.

I'm still on a break down the beach with my husband. First AF holiday in a very long time! I don't (and can't) ever take my sobriety for granted. Many people on MWO have inspiring quotes in their signature and I've stored my favourites on my phone, so i read over them often.

Wishing everyone a great AF week,
                              Steady
                              :h
                              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Steady! Down at the beach?!! I am jealous-- it is your summer though, isn't it? Here we are expecting snow, which I'm not quite ready for.

Morning DO! I know you'll be coming along any minute with coffee.. which is good because today I just have green tea and miso soup! Trying to change it up a bit.

:welcome:PAPA! Glad to have you joining us in this cosy Nest!

Hi Myluck, good to see you, too!

I'm running around this morning again--like crazy, so will check in this afternoon.
                                Good AF MAE to you all...

Comment

Working...
                                X