Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

little beagle Gandhi and Nelson were both forces to recognize, my brother never gave up his wish to live, it was not until a night nurse talked him into the fact that he was not going to make it, then he gave up, myself, I am told I stop breathing and I have night terrors, all I know is I do not have a good nights sleep ever, and have not for a long time, not sure if it is because of my drinking, all I know is I have been drinking more since my brother passed, we were only 11 months apart him being older and always protected me

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande - no worries, they are not going to screw up anything, especially my quit! I have managed to avoid going for 2 years, I think it's time...lol. I am taking my iPad and will use my phone as a hotspot, so I stay connected.
      Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
      -Alan Cohen

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you, DTD, for stretching my mind on ways I can say- No. Very helpful!
        Hot chocolate, your fire, and color changing mountains sounds spectacular!

Nelson Mandela deserves every bit of peace he's getting right now. What an inspiration to us all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

More, so sad to hear the news about your brother. It sounds as if the two of you were very close - and not just in age. I think you should seriously consider going for counselling - you've lost two close family members, and that is always difficult to deal with. Harsh as it sounds, drinking is not going to bring back your brother, it's not going to make anything better - in fact, it only makes things worse. You can stop drinking; all of us are here because that is what we are doing. Stay close to the Nest, read as many of the posts here on the boards as you can - there's a lot of wisdom here - and post when you feel like drinking, or when you need a shoulder to cry on. We're here for each other - and for you.

Try not to take that first drink - that's a good start. Can you get rid of any booze in the house? Stock up with tea, juice, fizzy drinks, hot chocolate - whatever takes your fancy, but not any booze.

Stay strong, and have a few :l:l:l.
          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

DTD, when the news broke yesterday about Nelson Mandela's passing it made me realize I probably heard the news way before you did due to the time difference. May he RIP.

Congrats on 50 AF days Luckyflower :yay:
            Makes all the difference

Hello & welcome Illyria! Glad you decided to join us!
            Make yourself a good working plan & stick around with us for a while

Gotta, make today the last day 1 ever for yourself. You'll never be sorry, I promise!

LB, glad you are OK after this rough week. Keep your thoughts positive & know that we are thinking about you :l

Have a great AF Friday everyone!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

thank you Dream, it is not taking that first drink, it is taking that last that I want, I do believe I need grief counselling thank you

Comment

Newbies Nest

More, there is no such thing as a last drink - you will always find another one, somewhere - anywhere. Can you get rid of all the booze in your house? As K9 says, cut out the middle man and pour it down the toilet. Once there's no more booze, drink lots of water with a slice of lemon (good to detox the liver, so they say), and then we'll take things from there.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey hope everyone is doing great today! day 13 here! had a great time with my son yesterday and went to an AA meeting which I actually really enjoyed, the people were very supportive and friendly and it was not was I was expecting so I am going to keep going as much as I can! I had some cravings last night but I forgot about it when my son and I started putting up some christmas decorations. I am a little worried about the holidays but I will cross that bridge when i get to it no point in worrying now i am taking it one day at a time!

Hope everyone has a wonderful AF day!
                  ?That's the problem with drinking,
                  If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
                  if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
                  and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
                  ― Charles Bukowski
                  :wings::wings:
                  Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning all!
                    Welcome Illy and welcome back, Moretoit.
                    More, grief is a terrible emotion. But when you DEAL with it you can get thru it. I think a counselor is great idea to help you sort it out. We are not SuperPerson, sometimes we need some support. Seek it out, I've never heard anyone say that they regretting getting help! Maybe regret NOT getting it, so help yourself and take that step. I lost my Dad last Jan 2. He developed the sniffles on Christmas Day last year and it went downhill from there. I know that drinking wouldn't help bring him back or honor his memory. My heart goes out to you...make him proud and live the best life you can...that's what I'm trying to do. Hugs, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dream yiu are so right, I am thinking of my next drink, not my last, how do we stop

Comment

Newbies Nest

thanks Byrdie, I called a support line, they want a hundred bucks, what the hell kind of grief counselling is that

Comment

Newbies Nest

More, somebody on the boards mentioned the Samaritans - could you perhaps try them? Not sure if you're a churchgoer, but somebody from church should be able to help.

Comment

Newbies Nest

thanks dream, I will try

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, All:

I just woke from my first "drinking" dream. I didn't drink in the dream but I did something (I can't remember what) that as an alcoholic I couldn't do, whereas people who weren't drinking but weren't alcoholics were allowed to do - not sure that makes sense to you, but it scared the you-know-what out of me. I had crossed a line unintentionally toward drinking again. I guess the silver lining is that it scared me so much. Human brains are so weird. So I woke up sad and afraid but with no desire to drink. I am happy it is Friday as I need some good R and R this weekend - thanks for the pep talk DTD.

More - I highly recommend counseling if you can find something. I'll be there is something free you could find. In the general discussion area there is a group of Canadians - maybe some of them can help you if no one pops by here.

My Friday plan is work, counseling session, home for take out, a good soak in an Epsom salt bath and in bed with my book that is hard for me to put down. (After reading a posting here, of course). Happy sober day, all (Olga and Overit - Day 5 for us!)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati, I had dreams of drinking when I quit before, but now I want to quit, but do I wish to quit, all I know is I do not want to know myself as a drunk, but that is what I am, what is to stop me from destroying myself, it is after 10 a.m. here and I have a glass of wine, my last one if I stay strong, how do I do that?????????

Comment

Working...
                                X