Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Londoner trust your instincts. If you're not ready to expose yourself to the temptations you know will arise don't put yourself out there. I know you're fed up but the longer you are AF the easier it will get to attend social scenes and not drink. Keep us posted!

LB Good Morning! I wish I were one of your customers your treats sound yummy!
    Newbies Nest
    Toolbox
    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Saturday morning Nesters,

Overcast skies here - rain & a bit of snow on the way, so I hear

Hello & welcome IhaveaDream, glad you found us & decided to join in the fun!
      Getting the monkey off my back was the best decision I ever made, you will not regret your decision.
      Make a good working plan for yourself. Check out the Tool box in the Monthly Abs section for lots of great ideas & stay close to the nest for a while!

Londoner, if you keep repeating the same behavior you will keep having the same result!
      You're not going to quit until you get serious & make a firm commitment. It's not completely impossible to find a healthier way to spend your time - what else do you like to do? How about trying something completely new?

Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!
      I'll be busy all day staying out of trouble

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!

The week from hell is over... But I am truly lost here now. . Where is willow?

I am going to attempt reading back. So many new names and stories to read about.

It's brutally cold here right now, so snuggling in.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone
          Day 2 for me today. Had a lot of sweats last night, and feeling achey this morning. Just like a bout of flu really. Will get through this though

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Day 4!

I can't remember such a joyous Saturday morning: the sun is shining, the birds are chirping, insert whatever cliche you like LIFE IS GREAT!

Spent last night (7-10pm) with a good friend with whom I would have typically had a bottle of wine (red for her and white for me). I warned her that I was "detoxing" and we both had tea instead while the kids were running wild.

At the end of the night, she commented on how great it is that we can visit and chat and have a great time without wine!

I drove home with my kid without fearing a DUI. At home, we watched a show together and went to bed. Voila! I guess that's how normal people live.

Thanks guys!

FiveClover

Comment

Newbies Nest

To MyLuck, I'm sooooooo sorry. I've also been married 20 years and fear that I'll be echoing your post in a few month... I can't think about that right now, I must think about me.

Think about yourself, I know it hurts, again I'm sooooo sorry.

FiveClover

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning friends,

FiveClover, that is a great story! I'm very happy for you. When I was drinking and I came across someone who didn't drink for whatever reason, I always had respect for that, and it made me think about my problem. Maybe your friend is relieved too, not to have to drink just because that is what you've always done in the past? This is what AF life is about. When you enjoy yourself like you did, you are not deprived of anything.

I'm going to get our Christmas tree with my family today. My daughter gets to pick it out and she's very excited about it. I was up early this morning and straight into a game of pretend while waking up; two things that my adult brain is not particularly good at. I can't even picture trying to do that with a rotten hangover.

Have a great AF day everyone!
                "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                  Welcome, welcome to all the new faces....it does get better each and every sober day!!!!
                  We got about 6 inches of snow..fired up the snow blower this morning and we are now ready to head out to the children's Christmas thingy for the hospital. That is a all day event so we will be beat tonight. Predicting more snow tomorrow...OH Boy....
                  Have a wonderful Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome 5Clover and IHava! We're so glad you're here!
                    Jane, Day 2 is awesome! Rinse and Repeat! I said to myself, 'if I got thru the last 15 minutes I can get thru the next 15!!' BREAK IT DOWN, girl! So proud of you!

MyLuck. I WAS your hubs! On the night of Jan 19, 2011 he left this house saying it was him or AL. I had a huge decision to make; totally give in to the addiction or break free of it. It was scary...and it was a HARD choice (if you can believe that). He really saved my life that night. He had threatened it many times before, and I thought he was ALL TALK, until he left that night. I knew he was sick of me. I was sick of me, too. Stand your ground, you may be saving his life too like my hubs did. Today we are better than ever...I know I'm one drink away from losing it all, so that keeps me going! Remember when you get like we are with AL, there is no middle ground...it's like being pregnant...either you are or you aren't sober! We are all thinking of you....please stay close.
                    Londoner, you aren't missing out on anything if it might put your quit in jeopardy. Can you plan another activity that isn't centered around AL? Get out and about, but safely and without temptation? STAY STRONG! Stay close! Aren't you a personal trainer?
                    Hope everyone has an easy day today! I plan to do some baking for gifts (sorry NoSugar!!!) Hugs to all, Byrdie
                    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                    Tool Box
                    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

wow? what a night !

I went to the company Christmas party last night at a fancy restaurant. When I get there, I find out it is a "wine and dine" event. It was a 6 course meal with a different wine pairing for every course. They explained each wine before serving like it was a sacred gift. Each time they poured a new glass was a new challenge all over again. I drank water all night (enough to float a boat?lol)

I drove home, feeling very proud of myself and hoping I would drive through a police alcohol checkstop, so I could answer??.. I haven't had anything to drink?.. because I DON"T DRINK !!!

Stay strong everyone and Happy Saturday.

Jim
                      I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                      http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good to hear from you all and thanks for the mighty warm welcome. Winebegone your story is ever so inspiring! Well done you!

Just toying with an extreme tummy tickling thought, just after watching a documentary on time travel and how it may or may not be possible (my conclusion is that if it ever became possible we would have told ourselves about it by now - anyway...). I was thinking about my past mistakes and how I wish to go back in time and not do them, to make it good, just one day, one hour, one minute ah for the hell of it I would even go one second - and not do that thing I did. Then I thought what if, when I am 93 (around 50 years from now) time travel was possible but I could only go back to this day - today, for an hour.

I ponder, as some of you might, what would you do?
                        Make that call?
                        Write that letter?
                        Say those words?

Certainly not settling down to xfactor and watching unrealistic TV.

A ponder, food for thought.. what would you do?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Everyone:

I have a busy day and couldn't post this morning, but as I was driving to baseball at 7:30am (yes, that's baseball in December, at 7:30am, 37F) I had thoughts of feeling sorry for myself. I don't want to drink, and even when I imagine my holidays and the typical drinks I would have I don't feel any cravings. I just felt sorry for myself that I can't even if I wanted to. (I sounded like Veronica Salt - Daddy, I want an Oopah Loompah now!)

I can reason my way out of that one - the thought of the awful feeling I had last weekend is still powerful and the memories are strong enough that I don't want to drink, and I am relieved that I don't have a hangover this morning (especially waking up at 6:45 am on a Sat.). I think I resent that the choice has been taken away from me.

So I am posting to try to turn this negative feeling into a positive one. Instead of feeling like I'm losing something, I will say what I am gaining. Among other things - a hangover-free Saturday morning spent with my son and then some friends and their baby (not feeling nauseated). A Saturday morning being tired because I stayed up late reading a good book, not because I woke up at 3:30am with the GSR brothers knocking on my head. A hike ahead planned for where I want to go, not for where I think I can go based on my hangover. Talking with my husband about something that happened without fear that I am repeating a story I already told him last night. Why should I feel bad about anything?! I am grateful...

I'll read back and post later. Thanks for listening. Here I am starting Day 6 and feeling good. Welcome to you other newbies - you've found a great place.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Ihave and Clover. I am downloading Smash now so that will give me an interest when i have a rest this afternoon. Thanks for that.

Day 8 here and woke up at 5.30am, a sleep in would be nice but I am sleeping like the proverbial log so cant complain and the mornings are so lovely.

Jane congrats on Day 2, you can do this girl. There is a roll call thread which is great for keeping you accountable and to see everyone wracking up the days.

Keeping busy today with pottering around the house and going out with my daughter, hungover free and it feels great.

Good on you Wineb, that certainly would have been a big challenge to go through, we cant ever get away from AL though i am finding, we just need to be strong.

Hope everyone has a great MAE where ever you are.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

DreamThinkDo;1595789 wrote:
                              Right, LC's coffee delivery is sorted, here's the Nest coffee: :cupajoe: :cupajoe: :cupajoe: :cupajoe: :cupajoe: :cupajoe: To the really new Newbies: the coffee here is always fresh and hot, and comes just the way you like it. Help yourself.
                              Ooh thanks for the coffee! Notice how sugar and coffee came first on my list, because obviously they're able to wreck your life haha. Getting my priorities straight and enjoying the coffee with sugar and milk thank you.
                              sigpic

Comment

Newbies Nest

Available and J-Vo, great job on yer 7 days today!! You need a good Mooning!

:moon: :moon:

Great job yall two! The worst is behind you, no butts about it. Keep up the great work!! You will never be sorry! Very proud of you! Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X