Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Biggest reason previous quits didn't last

I had not committed myself to my goal SUBCONCIOUSLY. Which meant i had left room for doubt, and negotiation.
    The decision to quit must be NON-NEGOTIABLE. No matter what happens or how i feel.
    I have made a NON-NEGOTIABLE decision to quit drinking. I no longer need or want to drink. I have QUIT drinking.

Best wishes to all Nesters,
    love, Steady
    :h
    AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry I missed you, AClassicGirl - congrats on your Day 7 as well!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Repeat after me: "I have made a NON-NEGOTIABLE decision to quit drinking alcohol. I no longer need or want to drink. I have QUIT drinking." :goodjob:

Say it loud, say it clear, say it often! Say it to yourself in the mirror! :goodjob:
        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

Wish I could package this beautiful beautiful BEAUTIFUL day and send it to each and every one of you! Plus, the wind has died down - what a relief, as its been howling for days (and I'm not exaggerating at all here).

I was up long before my alarm clock went off, just enjoying the peace and quiet. I'll be back later, as soon as I've watered the garden. And weeded. And pulled up the dead plants. And planted some seeds.

Have a serene AF Sunday, Nesters!
          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

So nice to see other people online as well: Morning Lovely, Avail

Lovely - did you get over the cravings? Don't give in now: think of your son and your health, think of 14 AF days behind you plus all of us behind you. Stay strong, ok?

Avail - not sure I would have managed with an open bottle of wine in the house in the early days. Well done!

Ok Army, really off now - later!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all

Good to see you all good and sober. I am unfortunately still in trap of AL. I know I have to comeout . and I know this is the only way....
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

DTD i think i am putting myself to a test that i wont let the beast of AL win this time. I have my sons beer in the fridge but i also have my lemon drink, coke zero, iced teas etc. They are all mine and boy I am drinking more of them than i think i did wine. Dont think i have peed so much in my life either ha ha.

Rahul stay on here become a MWO stalker like me. I definitely recommend never leaving this site for the first 7 days.
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm a fellow stalker. I agree, Rahul. There's so much to read here, and so much wisdom. Make a plan and hold on tight through the hard part at the beginning. Drink a lot of Gatorade, eat vitamins and think of all you will gain by quitting drinking, and how much you have to lose if you don't. Write it down. And then relax - so much easier to be sober...

Comment

Newbies Nest

So much easier Pav being sober i definitely agree. I am watching Smash at the moment. God I am thinking to myself "was I as bad as her" and at the end of the day in my younger years yes I was. how many times have I woken up and not known where I was and what i had done. My only wish is I had done this sooner but we cant take back time.

I will need another movie to watch soon, these are really making me think that at any stage in this giving up AL should I ever let my guard down, never become blase and as byrd and pav say "guard your quit with your life". It is all starting to make sense.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Everyone, I am still here in the fight. Haven,t posted a lot but reading heaps for inspiration. Its a difficult time of the year with Christmas parties starting to pop up everywhere. I have one tonight and am going armed with some diet coke. cheers everyone:nutso::nutso:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul, Jane, and those who can't get past that first day or two--keep reading here and posting, checking in. It does help!

I'm repeating this one:

"I have made a NON-NEGOTIABLE decision to quit drinking alcohol. I no longer need or want to drink. I have QUIT drinking."
                        Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lifechange

Happy birthday!

I know you probably can't check in, but still, a candle day is a candle day! So glad that you can celebrate it with your family.

Thank you for all your wise words, support and delicious breakfasts!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day seven here!!!

I really struggled last night. I went to pick up my elder daughter from a birthday party and in the time between leaving the house to fetch her and arriving at their place, her friend's mum had phoned my house to say the party was overrunning. So I arrived too early (embarassed - trigger, annoyed - trigger) and then she invited me to stay for a drink (trigger) because all the mums were in the kitchen having mulled wine. I went through to say hi and suddenly felt so sorry for myself (trigger). They are 'normal'. They can have fun without getting totally pissed. Why can't I? So i made my excuses and left and could almost have cried.

But I didn't drink. I really really really wanted to. But I knew I'd regret it today so I didn't.

And I made it to day seven!!

What also helped me not drink was unexpectedly seeing the brother of my old schoolfriend (the one who supported me, and I her, through our dysfunctional childhoods) yesterday. He and his wife have recently moved to my village and I haven't aeen him for years - but there he was at our Frost Fair. I called him over to say hi and was quite shocked. He is starting to look more and more like his dad (who is a full blown alcoholic who disappears on whisky benders for days at a time). We had a nice chat, but when his wife came over (he had his two year old on his shoulder) he said he'd had enough of the fair and needed to get some beer, now.

It could have been a joke, but given his family history... It made me sad. I remember him being about two or three himself and drinking juice from a sippy cup. Sad to see him like this.

I don't drink!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Olga, so glad you made it through yesterday - temptations and all!

Now just you wait for Byrdie's moon....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats OP on 7 days and wow you had a bit of a situation thrown at you but good on you for making it through. We are stronger than we think sometimes.

happy birthday to LC where ever you are, hope your day is full of fun and love and being sober. xxx

Comment

Working...
                                X