Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well guys......made it past day two and well into day 3!!! YAY!!
    Still so much further to go, but starting to believe.........is it possible?
    Thinking of you all and hoping you all luck today....stay strong

SOBERING UP THE WORLD ONE DAY AT A TIME!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
      Looking forward to joining you all.
      I'm a wine lover.... And perhaps like it a bit too much....
      So have decided enough is enough, I want control of my life.
      Wish me luck

I better get reading! This is a very big thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gotta good on you for Day 3, nearly over the biggest hurdle and you don't want to go back to Day 1. Everything is possible if we believe in it. I believe i will not drink again, I know i will not drink again. Getting my head around never drinking again is a horrendous thought but one day at a time is all we can do.

Boh welcome. I think I kept more than a few vineyards financially rewarded to say the least. It was my poison of choice. You are in a great place here, lots of positives and support. We have all been at Day 1, some of us more than we care to remember but we are trying. Good luck and stay on here.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Made it through another Christmas party tonight af and sober. Lots of drinking and could easily have had just one, yeah, I never have just one!!! Know one really noticed or cared that I was not drinking. No hangover for me tomorrow. Goodnight everyone and thanks for the posts.They have kept me focused.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Dark & gloomy over my portion of the nest, awaiting the arrival of snow/ice storm that's been moving across the country. Not thrilled but I am ready

Glad you found you way to the nest Bohdi, make yourself comfortable.

Olga, change the deprivation thoughts to gratitude thoughts - you did great, be proud of your 7 AF days :wd:

Gottaquit, yay on day 3!!!!

hadit, AL & Christmas parties are everywhere these days. Keep up the great work & be happy!

Wishing everyone a wonderful AF Sunday! Stay warm!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hadit glad you made it through that Christmas party. Whew!
              Olga same for you.it gets easier.
              Lifechange Happy Birthday. I hope you are having a great af day. I know you will read back and get all of these well wishes.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bohdi welcome. I am looking forward to getting to know you better.
                No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bohdi, welcome to this safe and supporting place, where there are many kindred former drinkers who now can claim "I don't drink" and not give it a second thought. Stay close by, go to the Toolbox and get some ideas for a life that is alcohol free.

Olga, hadit and Gottaquit, you've done what I've found impossible many, many times. Congratulations for pushing through these difficult first days and hadit, for getting through a Christmas party AF.

Happy Birthday, LC--have a good one!

Day 35 here.
                  Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone hope you are all doing well! It is day 15 for me I managed to get throough some pretty bad cravings last night. I feel so good waking up this morning and knowing that I didn't drink whenever I think about having a drink I just think about my son and my health and then think it's not worth it.
                    My husband has not been very supportive lately. I have found ever since I returned from detox he has been acting very hostile towards me, he has come to some AA meetings with me but I am not sure if he really wants to quit yet...I love him and I want to help him and be supportive as much as I can but I am worried that I am going to end up falling off the wagon if he continues to drink in front of me. i dont know what to do anymore...

anyways, wishing everyone a wonderful AF day!

-Love
                    ?That's the problem with drinking,
                    If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
                    if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
                    and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
                    ― Charles Bukowski
                    :wings::wings:
                    Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

All, just stopped by to tell that we spoke with my DH and we agreed that he will stay sober for 6 months ( I dint push it in regards 6 months from now or from the original date in October). He is back. We also agreed that he will seek counseling for addictions and we also agreed to see marriage counseling about my "control " issues. We will see how this works. One step at the time. After 6 months we can re-evaluate. But we had really good conversation, because after he quit he was refusing to talk about anything related - and I was not pushing it either. I have explained my stands on moderating and also brought the fact that in our past history it seems he was not able to moderate too. Of course he saying he can. I hope counseling will help, I just want to find a good one in my area. Any ideas?
                      AF since 10/20/2013
                      Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                      Meat free since 09/20/2008
                      ---------------------------------------
                      With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Olga, on behalf of the whole Newbie's Nest, it's my honor is drop my britches and shine this at you....

:moon:

7 Full Days of kicking AL's arse! The worst is behind you (does anyone get that joke?) Here's to many more moons in your future!! We are SO proud of you! Keep up the great work!

The Moonies
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
                          MyLuck, I'm so glad you have come to an understanding with your hubs. I am so grateful that I got that second chance! A lot can happen in 6 months of being AF so I am very optimistic for you!

Loveless, as you know, you can't control what others do. This is a matter of life and death and my best advice is to secure your own oxygen mask before assisting others....Little Beagle is an amazing example/resource for this...she has managed to get herself situated, is helping her hubs and now has 2 children in the house with issues. IT CAN BE DONE because she is living proof of it. She checks in here EVERY single day and also reaches out to help others. This is part of her recovery plan and it is working. Keeping yourself sober is #1. We are pulling for you.

I was reading an interesting article yesterday on LinkedIn....13 behaviors that successful people have...I may try to copy and paste it, but one thing that stuck out to me is that one of those behaviors is that they don't feel sorry for themselves! That's tough NOT to do when you are in our shoes, but if you look at the folks who seem to have the most success around here, that appears to be a trait they share!!! They seem to take a situation and turn it around and make the best of it instead of wallowing around in self pity. I'll go see if I have sense enough to go get that article, it was interesting! I threw pity parties for a LONG time and in retrospect, it really didn't help at all...when I took control of the situation things finally turned around. We are not to be pitied because we can't drink! We are to be empowered because we took control back of our lives! We are not victims we are survivors!!! Go us!!!

Have a safe, easy, AF day!!! Byrdie
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, All:

Greetings from Day 7 (Yay, Olga!) Good on you for making it through all those triggers. And they are all triggers for me, too, so I understand. One thing that helps me not "envy" those who can drink normally is the statistics on alcohol. Chances are more than one of the people you think can drink normally can't - they go right home and finish a bottle. Aren't you happy that's not you?

This interview with Ann Dowsett-Johnson has been going around MWO (I got it from J-Vo) and I finally listened last night. One point she makes is that she is part of the new recovery movement where people in recovery need to "stand up and be counted." She point out that the mental health profession has taken the stigma away from mental illness and that by being public with our alcohol addictions we will make it possible for others to feel they can seek help. I recommend the listen.

I am still in the quite contemplation of my own recovery - only three people know I have quit for good. Except for you all here, where I will say it loud - I have made a NON-NEGOTIABLE decision to quit drinking alcohol. I no longer need or want a drink. I have QUIT drinking! (Thanks, Steadfast)

I will certainly read back and post more replies later. Thanks again, everyone, for your support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                              I agre with Byrdie, I had to take control. I have control of os little these days that this was something I could control and I have been known to be a control freak...I could continue here having the weekly pity party and poor me and on and on. But how many more decades can I wallow in that. Everything is not perfect but so much better than it could be..
                              Staying in watching football today. Cold and more snow/yucky stuff today.
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati, Look at you at 7 DAYS! While I'm baring it all, here's one for you, too!!

:moon:

You've conquered every day that a week can throw your way and succeeded! Here's for kicking AL's arse for a whole week! We are so proud of your accomplishments and your contributions here! I see many more moons ahead!
                                Many Moonies
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X