Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

And I just opened an email from frontgate selling cases of wine...I had to laugh....then delete it....;-))
    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Isn,t it funny how we get bombarded with cheap booze. I can remember not to long ago our local bottle shop selling wine for .99 cents a bottle!! Is it any wonder our nation is fast beccoming a nation of drunks?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow Hadit if they had 99c bottles when i was drinking, i would have been stalking the place. I know Aldi used to sell 6 bottles for $12 and i thought also that it was a nice wine, anything was a nice wine as long as it was drinkable and even if it wasnt it was drunk.

I think the term in Aus is "piss heads" yes.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Alone alone alone. It's the worst feeling. Maybe another reason I've turned to AL? I hate this feeling. I'm even an introvert so I like my alone time but this I guess is loneliness I'm feeling. Geeze I'm sitting outside of Ross crying when I should be enjoying myself shopping for party outfit. Embarrassing...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Friends,

some random thoughts:

I like the concept of "the switch," commonly associated with baclofen (I have no experience with it), but I like the idea of there being "a switch." Maybe "rock bottom" is a kind of switch. I had my own switch type moment just before I quit. It was a very strange experience, I felt as if I was watching myself watch myself for the first time. The circumstances were those that I had repeated with my wife many times. She was telling me that I was drunk, and I was countering that by saying that I was only "half-drunk." (what kind of sense does that even make?!?). I had probably had many conversations exactly like that in my drinking life. All of a sudden it hit me, what I was doing to myself and everyone around me. I almost couldn't sleep because of my awareness so I wrote myself a letter and then started looking outside myself for help.

Where am I going with all of this? I think we never know who we are going to help by posting something here. I have been truly surprised at times to find that someone has read something I thought was insignificant, and they valued the post. We can "tip" each other in the right directions, without even being conscious of it. Maybe we tip each other towards "a switch?"

Some really powerful concepts that I have read on here lately:

--No one has ever returned to drinking and been happy about it (Byrdie)

--An excercise where you write down your plans for the future. Short term, medium term, long term. Things you want to do with your life, hobbies or activities you'd like to reconnect with, relationships you want to repair, travelling or books you want to read again, anything really. Then look at how many of them involve alcohol. It is supposed to show you how your long term plan for your life doesn't really involve alcohol at all and how happy you could be to get away from it. (I don't remember who posted this one, sorry!)

Sorry that's a long one from me folks! Have a great AF night!
            "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
            AF 11/12/11

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, Pine. I really needed that.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I'm sitting here with my grandsons aged 2 1/2 & 5. Not a thought about AL
                I am in the place I wanted to be five years ago when I started this journey. It takes a while friends but you will all get here too so hang in there!

Elvis, CONGRATS on 30 days :wd:
                Have a safe trip!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Elvis congrats on 30 days!!!!!! WoooHoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ok. Lost 2 posts.
                    Have a great MAE all.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good night nesters! Pinecone - great post.
                      AF since 10/20/2013
                      Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                      Meat free since 09/20/2008
                      ---------------------------------------
                      With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

The book Unwasted sounds really good! Anyone read it?

Comment

Newbies Nest

no i had not heard of that book until now but it sounds very interesting. I am currently interested in reading Drinking: A Love Story and I am currently reading Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women And Alcohol. Also I went to a small used book shop and found a thin paperback book called "Living Sober: Some Methods AA Members Have Used For Not Drinking" which I have actually found very Inspiring. Just thought I'd Share.

-Love
                          ?That's the problem with drinking,
                          If something bad happens you drink in an attempt to forget;
                          if something good happens you drink in order to celebrate;
                          and if nothing happens you drink to make something happen.?
                          ― Charles Bukowski
                          :wings::wings:
                          Days AF: 13 :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters,

I am home from another marathon day, and I see marathon days stretched out before me for the next several. Although I feel ok now and do not want alcohol, I know that these extremely busy days near the holidays always stress me out, and I know what my traditional response would be. I will have to be vigilant because even if I start the day well, I know I will be around alcohol at parties for the next two weeks, and I'll have to not forget my commitment here. Right now I don't FEEL like that will be a problem, but I know AL can rear its ugly head very quickly.

Pinecone, thanks for that post. I often think "who am I at this early stage posting things that could even sound like advice," and then I remember how much so many posts have meant to me, especially those welcoming me, no matter how long the sender had been here. It also helps me to post my own musings - sort of like a journal. (I thought I was keeping up with Available, but no way!)

K9 - will try the saline. My sinuses are driving me crazy for some reason. I hear what you're saying NS, I thought it would all go away and miraculously I'd feel fine. No such luck.

Today I heard about a new movie called The Anonymous People about people living in recovery in too much shame to speak out, and about a cause to bring them out to the public. Here is the trailer (bring your tissue). That led me to Kristen Johnston's new book Guts, about her drug and alcohol addictions.

I have neither seen the movie, nor read the book, but this quote from Kristen said a lot to me: "I’m the strongest person I’ve ever met; I can will things with my mind, or at least I thought so, and so the fact that I couldn’t navigate this on my own was shocking to me. I’d done everything myself. So I started to believe I could actually control things and the bottom line is I can’t."
                            Judging from the posts here, I think a lot of us are control freaks, and this lack of control drives us mad. We think we SHOULD be able to control this, so we make one more try...

Anyway - a lot of rambling on my way to bed. I hope everyone is safe, cozy and sober. Almost Friday, peeps. Let's start dusting off our weekend plans. Adios, Day 11.

Comment

Newbies Nest

And congratulations on 30 days, Elvis!

Comment

Newbies Nest

hey Pav what are you trying to say? Ha ha, well you had better get a move on i say.

It is Friday here and have been to the shops to get my drinks for the night. Going to be huge on the lemon, lime and bitters and blood orange fizzy i must say.

Its funny Pine the crap we come out with and think others will believe it. Half drunk, I like that, makes absolutely no sense but I dont think we ever made sense drunk.

Aclass hope you are feeling better, I think these waves of emotions hit us like a steamroller and we just have to go with them. I just feel now that this is my life, this is me and I cant have al in my life again.

Today I will not drink.
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X