X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

This Nest Mum is happy & proud of everyone as well - good job

Dave, enjoy this special time with your boys

available, I do know what you mean about adult children - they can be tough at times, usually r/t hormones & that sort of stuff. Stay well & take care of yourself!

LB, congrats on your 250 AF days - fabulous!!!

Sending wishes for a safe night in the nest for one & all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ican - stick with your plan!
      A little anxiety never killed any of us, honestly! Distract yourself, meditate, do anything but drink, OK?
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

LB
        congrats on 250!! Always wanted to see what you looked like without you glasses.
        Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. Its boxing day here and I am sober. Would normally have been so drunk. My next challenge is New Years Eve.......sober !!:thanks::thanks: for all your support.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good night - it is midnight here and we have been at some family function or other during the waking hours since noon on the 24th - a long time in other words. Phew. We had a great time and I was sober for all of it. It really feels great and today I had no feeling of deprivation, only gratitude that I didn't have to go through it all hungover, with a bad sleep, etc.

Amazing stuff here in the nest - congratulations to us all. In particular, Little Beagle - 250 days is a wonderful present to yourself. You are an amazing additional support to us all here, and I love your new outfit.

Sorry about your daughter, Available. Family dynamics can be so weird, and it is all amped up on holidays.

ican - there is a post by Sunbeam in the Tool Box on page 31 that has a link to a website with exercises to sooth anxiety, and J-vo posted one about "tapping." (you just Google Tapping for Anxiety and many come up, I think.) Yoga? A walk? Deep breathing? Alcohol just makes it worse in the long run, as you know.

All of you Nest Mothers and Fathers - thanks for being here in extra strong force when you knew it would be hard. I am happy to say that I am going to bed at the end of 24 days sober due in large part to the support of the great people here. Sleep tight, everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Everyone is doing so great!
              I too am sorry about your daughter Available.
              Dave glad you get some time with those cuties.
              Have a great day all. I'm off to work.
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning Nesters,

Granny Lav is moving slowly this morning. Think I've worn myself out the past few days but it was fun, everyone left happy

I have a little bit of cleanup to do around here today, nothing critical. Just may schedule a nap later

Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning to all.

Here goes again. Nothing like the morning after to motivate a person to finally take action. Of course, I've done the morning after thing so many times. I've been on these boards in the past and am reluctant to even say that I'm going to try to do something about my drinking. I really want to try again and will need all the help I can get. I have Baclofen and don't take it. Nothing like spending time on fool's hill. I am embarrassed and just hate that feeling so bad. It will take days to get over being drunk yesterday. Didn't do anything horrible just hate being drunk around family. Well, hate being drunk period.

Thank you in advance for your support.

Myra

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Boxing Day nesters!

Myra try not to be too hard on yourself, and look to the future. Waking up tomorrow with a much clearer head, getting through the first week, feeling better physically every day, this can be your life. You choose. We are here to help!

LB congratulations on your 250 day anniversary! I know you've had all kinds of stress in your life but you chose the high road and are getting through it all AF. You show others that this can be done! No excuses!
                    Newbies Nest
                    Toolbox
                    My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks. I have a really long history of being too hard on myself, especially when I have been over-served with booze. I don't really need to let myself off the hook where alcohol is concerned. Hope I can continue to be motivated to give it up. And to be motivated to continue to post here.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Myra it is up to you. I know it's tough giving up AL but the rewards are tremendous. Read through the site and remind yourself why you are doing this. Don't stop reading and posting until you are through the worst of it.
                        Newbies Nest
                        Toolbox
                        My accountability thread

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                          LB, congrats on your 251 days! I bet you feel like a queen!
                          :crowned:
                          That is a wonderful accomplishment and you will soon be flying into the one year range! I'm so proud of you!!

Myra....over the years here I've learned a couple of key things:
                          *Our resolve is always strongest during a hangover.
                          *Saying that we will TRY to quit isn't the same as saying we are going to quit.
                          *Hope is not a strategy.

Develop a PLAN for how you are going to accomplish this...immerse yourself in the tool box and find strategies that will work for you. Get all the AL out of your house! If you were going to head out on a cross country trip, you would get prepared for it....same thing with this...arm yourself with the tools you will need to succeed. If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired....climb in!

Hugs to all today!! Happy AF day after!! Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Omg. My mom and brother gifted us with a huge bottle of Crown Royal and some nice CR glasses to go with it. Plus, they brought a bottle of wine. So now I have this poison in my house. When I opened it, I had to act all excited, woot woot and all that. I'm a pretty good actor. Felt a little dull tug toward the old drinking days, but that went away quickly. Fortunately we weren't pressured to open it and start chugging, since my brother quit drinking 12 years ago and my mom, well, she's 93 and not one to take shots of whiskey.

Dottie, I hope the kids called.

3June, most of my family are drinkers too. I got through everything in life by drinking. Justified every single sip. How embarrassing.

Iclem, how frightening to have that happen to your daughter. Thank God she made it through. When the sheriff came to my door that night at 10 pm, I wasn't drunk, strangely enough. I had already told my husband that my son was dead, but he kept telling me he was out somewhere. No way, he always called me and would never do that. He and his friend were never found, but their kayaks were found. Puget sound can be a treacherous place for an afternoon kayaking jaunt. I spiraled into major alcohol consumption for years after that. What a horrible way to honor his memory. Oh well, now he's proud of me.

Allan, thanks, I do love PAWS and will spend time at their site today with my cup of coffee.

Available and Dottie, that kind of family strife always made me want to drink. The urge was uncontrollable. I could not wait to get to the store in my angry state and pick up some wine. A lot of wine. Now I can get just as upset without the urge. I can't say how liberating that feels. I felt like a puppet controlled by alcohol, but no more.

Day 250 LB! You are one of my role models.

Gambler, cherish your every moment with those boys, and now you can do it with a clear head, yay!

Ican, over 10 days you have, wonderful.

Myra, stay strong. I've done the same as you many times, and all I can hope is that this time I will succeed.

Day 54 and still AF. Have a great MAE everyone and thanks for the support through Christmas. Made it!
                            Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady, you are exactly right. Thank you for that. I need all the reality checks I can get. Ironically, I am heading out across country in an hour. Literally, leaving SC and going to Colorado. HumbleRider, thanks for the shout out and congrats on 54 days. I plan to spend my airport time reading all I can on this site.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quitting for good!

*Our resolve is always strongest during a hangover.
                                *Saying that we will TRY to quit isn't the same as saying we are going to quit.
                                *Hope is not a strategy.

Byrdie
                                Good morning! Byrdie-so true, so true. I have my last reset today. I am quitting, today. It's over....forever.....I PROMISE! You can count on me.

I almost ruined Christmas. I had stayed up late, drinking so much on Monday night that on Christmas Eve I was drunk until at 1PM. I was drunk enough that I knew I couldn't drive and I still had shopping to do. I felt horrible, the worst hangover ever. Then of course I had to indulge yesterday. UGH! It's just amazing that we keep doing it over and over and over.

I'm just so thankful today that I don't have a hangover, that I'm not sick to my stomach, that I'm functioning at work today, that I NEVER have to go through that again, that I never have to admit to a fail again, that I do have a choice and I choose not to be that sick individual ever again. We only have so much time, I've wasted years that I can't get back.

I hope everyone had great Holidays and that we are all successful today, AF.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Working...
                                X