Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

I will cut and paste my post for the tool box - I would add a #8 as was proven for me today -

8. Exercise is key. Exercise is a natural way to release those endorphins that enhance my mood and GREATLY reduce my anxiety. When I am feeling down and shaky my husband tells me to go out and exercise because he knows how much it helps. I'm not a tri-athlete or gym rat or anything - I just go walk some hills quickly or ride my bike with my kids and feel more calm instantly.

Anyway - there I go getting all serious at the party. I still have 30 minutes left in 2014 - I'll spend it reading around here and getting my teeth brushed (only staying up for the kids zzzzzzzzz).

There is so much honest happiness about ringing in the New Year sober this year - and that is how I feel, too. Way to go everyone, and thanks Byrdie, Lav, NS and all you "old timers" for all of your support. See you next year.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done pav...a real achievement. All the best for 2014!

Comment

Newbies Nest

HAPPY NEW YEAR Nesters!

Lots of very happy, positive posts to ring in 2014.

Pavati, I agree with everyone else, your post is wonderful, thanks for sharing it with us all! :thanks:

It really is heartening (not to mention re-affirming) to hear others' AF status over the challenge of the festive season.

Now, if anyone didn't stay AF, and if anyone's lurking behind the scenes, don't delay another year, another month, another week or another day - please, get on board with us!

best wishes and thankyou to all,
        love Steady
        AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

STEADFAST;1606137 wrote:
          Now, if anyone didn't stay AF, and if anyone's lurking behind the scenes, don't delay another year, another month, another week or another day - please, get on board with us!
          Steady is so right! Please come right back and begin again or take the plunge and join the AF birds that hang out in the nest. Your life can be so much different than it is right now. Make this day 1 and your counting will be easy !

The only
          regret I have heard expressed by people here or on recovery blogs is that they didn't do it sooner. It wasn't nearly as hard as I feared and the outcomes were so much better than I could even imagine.

You can make 2014 one of the best and most important years of your life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New Years nesters lets make this OUR year!!!!!
            I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
            Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters & Happy 2014!!!!!!!

Wishing everyone a great first day of the new year.
              My plan is to pack up more Christmas decorations & prepare for tomorrow's snow storm, oh yay :H

Will check in later tonight after some traditional pork & sauerkraut (for good luck)

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Right, this is it guys. The festive period is well and truly over. I have no reason to drink from now on. I have cleared my house of all the junk food finally. I am ready to do this.

I am going to concentrate on positive affirmations - I know how easily negative self talk can manifest into something far more severe.

I also want to add a spiritual approach to my recovery from now on. I believe in the 'aura' and I believe that alcohol and drug use really does put cracks in it. I just feel the negative emotions build up and show when using intoxicants.

I believe experience is the best teacher (as long as you learn from it). And this period of drinking daily (which I never do) has made me realise just how easily you can become dependant on alcohol in daily life. I have only ever been dependant on alcohol during social situations, but daily drinking has made me use alcohol to medicate my mood. That has to stop.

- I am going to meditate daily
                - I am going to put energy only into the things I want to do.

The hardest thing for me atm, is I know how good I felt after a period of no drinking, but as I have been on that journey already I know what to expect and how long it takes. One day at a time.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New Year, Nesters!
                  Great to see everyone ringing in the NY with strong AF convictions!

Londoner, I am so happy for you! Your path is going to be lighter in every way! I was thinking about this some as the morning shows were talking about hangover cures and resolutions...everyone seemed to be talking about drinking...drinking, or recovering from drinking. I thought to myself, it's a shame I can't drink normally...but then I pushed that out and said, but it's a shame that diabetics can't eat sugar and peanut allergy people can't eat peanuts...it's a SHAME, yes, but it's certainly not the end of civilization! Acceptance of my limitations has helped me quite a bit. I have flourished in so many OTHER areas it's not even funny...so in life there are just trade offs...that's just the way it is. And so it goes.

I hope everyone has a wonderful hump day New Year!! This will
                  be the year of us, Pauly!! XXOO, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New Years guys. Survived the season my birthday and New Years alcohol free. Feeling proud.
                    Drink free since 18 August 2013:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE,
                      Lucky flower you inspire me, congrats on your AFDays.

DTD, thanks for the mugs--I like the one with the flags on it for me.

Nattie, my drinking culminated in my doing something pretty bad to my husband last June. It changed our marriage, I almost lost him, and it's just now feeling like he trusts me again. If you two can get through this early stage together, all signs point to a good outcome.

Ava, my dogs had a healthy dose of homeopathic anti-anxiety meds and their Thundershirts on, so the fireworks weren't so bad.

Byrdie, love your way of getting through toasts. Pav, your speech should be a toolbox favorite. Overit, prayer can work wonders! That's a great story.

Everyone, Happy AF New Year! 60 days today for me, and what a way to celebrate January 1, 2014. Thank you for your support through these days. I'm so happy to have met all of you.
                      Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                        Watched the ball drop and actually remember it....dh was asleep on the couch with the dogs so I took a picture and posted it on FB....got a good laugh..
                        Guess I am getting old as I didnt know many of the singers on the ricking eve last night. Such is life but I did enjoy it from the warmth and comfort of my home..
                        Happy New year everyone!!
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New Year everyone!!!!

Waking up on New Years Day without a hangover is awesome !!'
                          I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                          http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy New year fellow nesters. Well done on coming through all thoses events Suesue a real achievement. Brydie what inspirational words and a tactic I also employ if I start feel a bit sorry for myself that I don't drink. I just remind myself of all the things I can do and have which is so much , I have no food allergies so I can eat what I like , I have no health issues or disabilities so I can go and do what I like, I have an amazing husband , children and friends who give me 100% support in my af adventure . Compared to all that not drinking is small fry !!!. I also like to remind myself I can drink if I want !! but I am choosing not too !!! my life , my decision, my control, my liberation. It feels so good to be starting the New Year without all the ghosts of the festive drinking season clawing at my self esteem making me loath and dispise myself for all the crap stuff I have said and done when I have been drunk. None of that this year not one bad dead or word has happened very liberating !!!! Bring on 2014 !!
                            AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Newbies Nest

I agree winebgone it is fantastic!
                              New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats!!! Humble!! Way to go!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X