Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

First sober NYE for as long as I can remember. Finally admitted to friends that I had a problem and was no longer drinking because I couldn't moderate. Saw the new year in with a cup of tea! day 5 going well so far. Have a great 2014.
    I can beat this.
    Today is the day I start.
    1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Fat Fella,
      I too am on day five! I saw the new year in with iced water and a slice of lemon,it was happy, in the past have had a mixture of sober new years and drunken ones all the sober ones have without doubt been the best. Good luck in your journey, wishing you a happy and sober 2014
      DD
      New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

So many positives on the NN today. Congrats to us all for making it into 2014 sober and happy. I know if i had been drinking al, i would not have felt the way i did yesterday. Actually i felt crap yesterday but that was due to a migraine. I even appreciated that more than a hangover.

DD and FF keep on this journey together, it helps to have af buddies close to your quit date. I have Pav and Jvo and not that its a competition!!!!!!!! I find it keeps me strong and determined not to fail for myself or for them and we seem to go through the same stages together. Grief, anger, sadness, happiness, acceptance and finally gratitude. We are all eternally grateful for being af and for the support of each other and being on MWO.

Well best get up and going, back to work on Monday and boy its been a great holiday being af. So much more motivation and just a complete sense of wellbeing.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE everyone!

Been sitting here reading, and so pleased to see how many of us managed to have a totally sober and _happy_ NYE. (Me included). Londoner - glad to see you so positive. Pavati, just wanted to say that was a brilliant post and I'm glad it's going in the tool box. I am sure it will be inspiring to many, many people.

Personally I have no idea how I coped with drinking so much alcohol and still functioned, and quite publicly, year in and year out. Professionally I write - how did I get so much published when I wrote it all totally pissed, and how much better would it have been had I been totally sober instead? What a waste of 20 years. I'm still working through those feelings of regret and accepting that I can't turn the clock back.

Dream - about a week ago I posted that I led a very lonely life and you suggested I might find other like people in church. Thank you for your kind thoughts. It's hard to find time at present as I'm the carer for a (nearly) 91 yo who lives with us, and that's very demanding, as she can be very abusive to me, damaging my home, and is often unreliable toilet-wise (sorry for TMI) and I realise that the situation (which isn't her fault) is quite largely responsible for what I am gradually realising is depression - it has only really come to light now that I've given up alcohol. Previously I could just get pissed when I got particularly fed up but now that I don't drink, that aspect has raised a totally different spectre but I don't plan on taking drugs to help as I refuse to substitute one drug for another. Particularly when nothing will change as I face the reality of having this person living in my house for the foreseeable future. Drugs won't change it, so just like all of us who have ongoing demands on us, (all of us?) I just have to develop different strategies. Giving up alcohol has knocked the crutch out from under me and the depression, OCD (as people on here who helped me get over my panic about my health a few weeks ago can vouch) and loneliness but at least I can now start dealing with it properly instead of masking it all with booze.

So as I am unable to build much of a life outside the home at the moment, my plan is to get out of the house and into the garden, which I love, but it is rather neglected. I just did some sums, and realised early this morning that I have actually saved myself (or rather not spent) somewhere in the region of $500 Aussie dollars by not drinking for nearly six weeks - how amazing is that?

Where did I find the money before? No idea, but found it I did! So it justified my morning jaunt - just went to Bunnings (for the non-Aussies that's our big hardware/garden centre chain) and bought compost and plants! Reckon I deserved it! Didn't come to remotely like 500 bucks, but you get the message! That's for some 'me time!' Been trying to remodel the garden - how many of us have struggled to dig the garden with a banging hangover?? Today I'm happily sober, and will be happily gardening - for we Aussies, there is a rare week upcoming of temps not rising into the 30s so I'm planning to make the best of it while I can - and now I'm sober, I can!

My record, sober, was 120 days four years ago - I'm now 40 days clean, so one third of the way through that, which is my own personally goal... small steps..... made it a month, then to Christmas and New Year, so the next plan is to spend the next 80 days doing what I have set out to do this morning - fixing up my yard, with a clear head and a clear intention! I'm recording it all on film (ok, on phone!) so I'll post some pics of my achievement sometime in April Have a happy day everyone, sorry to be going on and on.
          ---------------------------------

AF from 22 November 2013

Happily on the road to Sobriety - there's nowhere else worth going to...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all just at theand of my day one (although I only drank a little yesterday ) and feeling great it was fantastic to wake on new years day feeling well and not hungover and regretful! I am going in for 30 days AF so wish me luck and strength please
            Taking it ODAT

Comment

Newbies Nest

Mauritius, that's fantastic! Well done on getting Day One out of the way! You will somehow find inner strength if it's what you truly desire, and I look forward to reading you as Byrdy gives you your thirty day hat
              ---------------------------------

AF from 22 November 2013

Happily on the road to Sobriety - there's nowhere else worth going to...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi sixty four,
                You must be a great writer to write well when under the influence of alcohol. Just out of interest when you read your work to yourself does it sort of sound a bit strange to you? Curious about this as there are several famous alcoholic/heavy drinking writers.... some who wrote well some not so well. I wonder if you write now if you will see a change in the quality and depth of your writing?
                DD
                New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done mauritius dodo
                  What a great start to 2014!
                  DD

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear Pavati,

What a brilliant post. I just read it in toolbox. The part that inspires me the most is :

5. Adopt an attitude of gratitude. Wow ? this seems so simple. I have changed my focus from ?I can?t have alcohol? to ?I get to live my life with a clear head and no regret.? This helps most when I have the inkling of deprivation ? I turn it around immediately to focus on what I am gaining by getting alcohol out of my life ? not what I am supposedly ?losing.? I can?t believe how well this works. I didn?t believe it, in fact, until I got to #2 above.

congrats on staying sober but you hang on there as I will be catching with you soon. The moment you came to MWO you have been a positive inspiration to all.

Mauritiousdodo, can I step with you ? I too am on ride for 30 days and more.

Sixty four and DD : while there might be several alcoholic writers and singers but I assure you there are much more sober writers and singers. AL is known to take inhibitions but only for a while. I am convinced one can reach one's full potential only being sober.

Available sorry for migranes but I 100% agree that hangover could be worst. Thanks for the inspiration.

Londoner, wishing you all the best in your path. May I join you. I oo have been on the journey towards sobrity and know sincerly the benefits. And am determined to encash them !!)
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone, I agree, it was a lovely feeling waking up this morning after an AF New Years Eve, I got up and went for a lovely early morning walk with the dogs and enjoyed a family meal out, being the only one there who didn't look, or feel like a rats arse! I'm loving the eating and actually staying awake to watch a full film on the TV!
                      fatfella and darkest diamond its my 5th day too so I will be looking out for you both on this site everyday, we'll be able to congratulate each other as we clock up the days!
                      AF since 8.8.14

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great job, everyone!
                        It is an amazing thing, this being sober...I have been reading around the boards the last couple days and ran across a post that asked what we, as alkies, would wish for in a medication for such. In my response, I stated that if there were indeed a pill to let me drink socially, I wouldn't take it. I would have never thought I would say that. Getting distance between you and AL will show you that trying to MAKE AL work in our lives is nuts. We are Alkies and as such, AL is the enemy. It stopped being fun a LONG time ago. There is nothing that AL improved. Give yourself a chance to experience this. Give time, time. Yes, i can honestly say that I intend to NEVER drink again, and I am just fine with. It didn't do me any favors at all. My life without is 1000 times better without AL in it. Don 't let AL back in....it IS out to kill us. It WILL win. I have never seen anyone defeat this foe. Keep it out and you will be glad you did! We can only overcome AL by not drinking it! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings Nester's near and not so far,

Congratulations on 90 days Cat! Bravo!

Now listen up. Git yerselves strapped in and here's the extra wide butt velcro for anyone who's been sitting on the couch for far too long. Pull up a branch and git going! Gratitude thinking not deprivation thinking for me.

I'm not missing out on anything. I am gaining everything. Life, feelings, drama, pleasure, pain, self respect, self confidence, and most of all.....freedom.

It's an interesting ride taking your life back. :l

Go for it.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdy,

Don't reckon i'd take the social drinking pill either. For me, living sober 24/7 is a total blast on it's own. Just being fully present 24/7 is pretty wild stuff.

Ah, i hear a lone flute playing in the distance. It matches my new avatar which is Mr. Miyamoto Musashi, legendary Samurai warrior.

Yo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

Newbies Nest

Guitarista;1606559 wrote: Byrdy

Ah, i hear a lone flute playing in the distance. It matches my new avatar which is Mr. Miyamoto Musashi, legendary Samurai warrior.

Yo!
                              I liked your motorcycle avatar.

Happy New Year !!!
                              I would rather have a frontal labotomy than a bottle in-front-of-me.

AF since Oct 23,2013

I watched this and found it incredibly empowering.....
                              http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

Comment

Newbies Nest

WineBGone;1606582 wrote: I liked your motorcycle avatar.

Happy New Year !!!
                                It was a hard call WBG!

I look like that on my bike you know.

Comment

Working...
                                X