Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Brydie...I would not take the pill either. Kind of crazy when you think about all the "deals with God" I made over the years. "Please dear God, let me only drink a six pack on Friday and Saturdays, I promise I will be good and not drink anymore than that".....the universe had to peeing its pants laughing at me.

The distance is so key....because you see the reality of it. I don't want to be even slightly impaired at any moment of my life. The distance has you shaking your head....wondering why in hell you even drank anyways. I must of really loved hangovers....because that was all I ever got from drinking. Plus, sides of anxiety, despair, guilt, shame.....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Poppy I think you took the words out of my mouth!
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1606317 wrote:
        I was thinking about this some as the morning shows were talking about hangover cures and resolutions...everyone seemed to be talking about drinking...drinking, or recovering from drinking. I thought to myself, it's a shame I can't drink normally...but then I pushed that out and said, but it's a shame that diabetics can't eat sugar and peanut allergy people can't eat peanuts...it's a SHAME, yes, but it's certainly not the end of civilization! Acceptance of my limitations has helped me quite a bit. I have flourished in so many OTHER areas it's not even funny...so in life there are just trade offs...that's just the way it is. And so it goes.
        For some reason, Byrdie, I have been thinking about his post a lot. I guess for some reason I thought that you were beyond these thoughts because you are so good at pushing them out and advising us to push them out of our minds. It sort of took me by surprise that thoughts like these still enter your mind. It is a useful reminder about a lifetime of vigilance with alcohol. I would never expect you to say "it's a SHAME."

When you explain your reasoning I totally get it and it makes sense. In a way this post let me feel the sadness that I feel over this whole mess I am in. I don't want to drink, but I do feel sad that I can't drink. I don't always feel sad - most of the time I feel great about it. No Sugar put it well - I am used to being in control and I am only in control of alcohol when I don't use it. I think I already posted about this, but I guess I just wanted to comment on this post. And now I did.

Stay strong everyone - as Gambler said so eloquently in his 90 day post - this sobriety thing is a wild roller coaster ride. Strap yourselves in tight and get ready to have fun.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Guitarista;1606556 wrote: I'm not missing out on anything. I am gaining everything. Life, feelings, drama, pleasure, pain, self respect, self confidence, and most of all.....freedom.
          Mr G, our resident Samurai fighter, like that list of yours - including the pain and the drama. they may not be what we want, but I do think we need them to help fully appreciate the good that life gives us.

FF, DD, WW - our Terrific Triplets (or TT) since that we're on a roll of repeating initial - way to go, and stay day-buddy triplets. Surviving the NY temptation with only a few days under the belt :H is awesome.

Rahul and Londoner - thinking of you, and stay positive that you can - and will - win the battle.

sixtyfour, so true what you said about developing different strategies: just removing AL out of the mix is absolutely not enough. Gardening is such a wonderful way of (literally) grounding oneself. I also take pics of my garden - it's a nice way of seeing how hard work and sweat pay off. Enjoy getting your hands and knees dirty!

About the magic pill: I'd rather have the company of my MWO friends, thank you very much.

Everybody, have an amazing AF Thursday.

And - here's your coffee :cupajoe: :cupajoe::cupajoe: :cupajoe: :cupajoe:
          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Greetings to all (especially my triplets)!!

Hi there to all nesters,
            Am now going to attempt a first for me............ people on here seem really good at replying to lots of people in one post, I can never usually manage to "speak" to more than one person at once so here goes.................

Firstly hi to my fellow "terrific triplets" Winterwalk and Fat fella, we can rock this thing together, it is lovely to think we are at the same stage.... beginning of day 6....love it!

Thank you to Dream Think Do for pointing out my siblings to me, I will look out for them, yes the three of us can spur each other on.

sixty four hope the gardening is going well, although I dislike gardening, when I do it I feel a sense of achievement and like the results. Feel that growing things helps my spiritual growth (but I still prefer to cheat and buy plants/flowers that are already grown rather than grow from seeds!!)

Rahul agree with you re full potential of writers being achieved sober, for me this has been true, if I have had what seemed like a brilliant idea drunk, the next day sober it certainly does not seem that way.

Londoner
            How are you getting on? Always feel an afffinity with you and others who live in our great city! (as a born and bred Londoner feel proud to be here.)

Guitarista
            I love the green quote "Get outside every day.Miracles are waiting everywhere." Walking through London parks and streets has really helped me feel good.

Byrdie
            I would not take that pill, I know that I am a better person without drink, I am meant to be sober, this I can't explain, I just feel it in my guts!

Have had really bad insomnia now for about a week (but I prefer it to the drinking type of sweating and twitching insomnia). Last night I only managed about three hours sleep and I read through loads of past posts on here, also threads that I had started, often in drinking despair, and the love and support I have been shown has been wonderful.

So huge thanks to everyone and all those people I did not name!!
            New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Just checked in during Mid Day ! Was signing cards which were going out to customers for wishing new year. Was tempted to write have a SOBER year ahead ... Well I need those wishes for myself. But its nice sunny winter day here !

Take care.
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

bump for Chopden

Comment

Newbies Nest

new to the nest

:new:
                  Hi I'm just starting out?not a lot of forum experience but hoping it will help.

Chopden
                  I gave myself a wonderful present on Christmas Day 2013 - a future free from the guilt and pain that alcohol causes....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Chop, its a nice place to be here, lots of support and guidance on your af journey. Just keep posting you will get the hang of it.
                    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

I hope everyone stayed put over night
                      Very cold here & awaiting a snowstorm. In the meantime I have to go watch my grandsons for a few hours & they get back here to take care of new business. Busy is good

Hello & welcome chopden!
                      Glad you decided to join us. Make sure you go through the Tool box & grab lots of good ideas to help you put your plan together.

Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all. Today back to normal schedule. I am so glad I can quit adjusting my work schedule around for awhile.
                        Welcome Chop. I look forward to getting to know you. Have a great MAE all.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Chopden this is a great place hope you stick around . First day back to normal today husbnd and kids all out of the house so got plenty of brain space today. And ( know you should not start a sentance with and but hay ho !!) how refreshing that my brain is buzzing with positive stuff and energy not clouded and consumed with all the rubbish al bought into my life. Will have time now to post my key story and make some good plans to continuing my af journey and make so good memories and make me very proud of me as thats the one thing being af has given me the sense that I may not be perfect but being me is good enough and I dont need a drink to feel happy or good about myself !!! Happy sober Thursday you all .
                          AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi poppy62. What you said brought to mind this little motto: I do enough; I have enough; I am enough.

Give that some thought - we aren't perfect, not will we ever be, but we can do our best, and BE enough.
                            Happy AF day to you. JMum
                            My first "indifference experience" Saturday January 11, 2014. Thank God for Baclofen!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                              3 inches of snow here. Glad I dont have to drive in it.
                              Fellow called and they cant fix the leak in the front yard today...so we have to put off until Monday...the water bill is going to be high again....they will refund part of it when we send them a copy of the receipt to show the leak....more things I have to do...boohiss.
                              Didn't sleep well thinking they would call early, which they did so we got up only to have him call and say they couldn't get the machine here with the roads....boohiss again...
                              But we are alive, well and AF so on that it is a good day!
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

allswell;1603805 wrote: Halo,

Two books I recommend are Drinking, A Love Story and Unwasted.
                                Thanks alls well, will pick them up this week, my new year's present for myself. Have just finished reading Drink by Ann Johnston which was very good, there was a line that really resonated. She is talking about going to AA and says, I went to seek help to change my relationship with alcohol not to abstain from alcohol. It took her a long time to battle with these thoughts.

The realization that a toxic relationship with AL can never ever change for the better, and I mean never.

Wishng everyone a wonderful, wonderful NEW YEAR!! Let's make 2014 the best AF year yet!:l
                                On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Working...
                                X