Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Dottie, So sorry about the cold. I hate it to. We live in a climate than can run from zero deg to 45 cel plus. Some parts of Australia are experiencing 49 beg cel. Now that's to hot for anyone. Apparently it is being caused by Cyclones in he north west. Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and wish everyone a nice af day. 10 days af here!!:thumbs::thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Darkest Diamond, Fat fella, and Hypernova, yay, well done on our 7 days AF! feels great doesn't it. For the past 7 days I've woken up without any guilty thoughts, and without laying in bed before I get up wondering how bad I'll feel and for how long! I've been able to pick up my teenager from the cinema past 10pm! and I've read and watch the TV well into the night and been able to remember what I read and watched the day after!
      AF since 8.8.14

Comment

Newbies Nest

All, good evening just a quick stop by tonight to say hi. Busy planning for a weekend.
        AF since 10/20/2013
        Smoke free since 09/24/2007
        Meat free since 09/20/2008
        ---------------------------------------
        With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Winter
          you're right, being sober is so much better than feeling like you have to look over the shoulder, wondering what was said, done, hurt. Congrats DD, FF, Hyper, and of course, Winter for your 7 days of freedom. I wish you all many more.
          Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Congrats DD, FF, WW, and HN! Not a cake walk, so good job. Winter, I also love waking up to no hangover. What a thrill. It's seemingly insignificant to most people but such a big deal to me. Now if I don't remember something, I chalk it up to old age.

Hadit, great on your 10 days, and I do not envy you the heat you are experiencing in your neck of the woods.

Meshellrn, it's good that you have a plan. I found that I could not moderate. The whole point of drinking for me was to get drunk. Since I can't do that, I don't have a desire for alcohol. It doesn't taste that good.

Moretoit, just stop (I know, easy to say). There are tons of people here to cheer you on in not ever taking another drink, not ever feeling as bad as you know we all feel after benders. Hope you are sobering up and feeling better. I think it's great that you came here for support. Listen to NS, Byrdie, and all the old-timers--they are so helpful in beating this.
            Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 3

Every time I hit day 3, I am reminded of the Jane's Addiction song 3 Days and it plays in my head especially the part "we knew when she landed, 3 days she'd stay"....probably because of the umpteen times Ive tried to quit, lately anyway...3 days is all its been, although last year I did for 3 wks, hmmm IDK.
              Went back to work after walking out the other day. Boss asked me to stay on. Getting out of bed was a chore, the anxiety, the night sweats, etc. I spent the day helping to get ready for our big swim meet this weekend and the whole day I was sweating like I had run a mile or 2. I did get in a 1/2 mile swim and then came home after a short day of work. I was to work second job this eve, but a blizzard is imminent and boss said don't risk coming in. Will most likely plow snow tonite w the ol man.
              All I want to do is sleep, but I cant sleep. I want to see my ol man, but then don't, our relationship has been so flooded w booze the last few yrs, idk if I can stand to be around him. It's taking me a great might not to go get a shooter.

I could relate to Nomorejim's post. I too got up to close to 2 pints of booze a night, straight...who needs the mixer, I dont want dilution. Sometimes it'd be more if it was a night that I didn't have to work the next day.
              It's scary to think I cant function right now, how the hell did I function before? Kids, 2 jobs, single mom (trying to reconcile), working on master's degree, scout leader, as well as other organizations I facilitate programs for. How did I do all that and now I cant and don't want to do crap?
              :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quadruple moons - I swear that's a first :H
                CONGRATS to the 7 AF day recipients!!!

Moretoit, what HumbleRider just said - stop!
                Dump any AL you have left in the house, buy no more. Get yourself filled up with water, tea & some good food. We all had to take the leap ~ you can do it too & will have no regrets, I promise.

Dottie, do you have a subscription to Netflix?
                For $8/month you can watch all the movies you want & never be bored. Right now I'm going through several seasons of a BBC show called Doc Martin - love it
                I have a nice fire going, the dogs are sleeping & leaving me alone - life is good

Hello & welcome Jim! Glad to have you with us, stick around for a while!

Everyone stay warm tonight - supposed to dip down to zero tonight!!!!
                Good reason to squeeze in & stay put in the nest

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

HumbleRider;1607487 wrote:

I found that I could not moderate. The whole point of drinking for me was to get drunk. Since I can't do that, I don't have a desire for alcohol. It doesn't taste that good.
                  DITTO, DITTO, DITTO! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mtngirl-I was 2 pints a night of whiskey, same thing, how did I function? My idea of moderating was a mix drink but then I would do shots alongside that (huh?) we can't even fool ourselves.

Oh well, I'm over that . Have to say, a little wrestle with my mind today but I TTFP so that settles that. Just bored like the others that are having weather.

Gotta run.

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cross post Mnt girl!
                    Welcome back, settle in, OK?
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lav no Netflix but will look into it...I need something or I am going to explode....wont be pretty...
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good weekend everyone. Probably won't be back until Monday. Hang tight and strap in!

AF since 12/26/13

"...........just put one foot in front of the other and move forward. One step at a time." Chris McCombs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quad moons! WOW! I am so happy to see that, thank you, NoSugar for stepping into the prize closet and doing that for our deserving recipients!!!

There have been 3 times in the past 3 years that I have been so grateful that I am sober. You may remember July a year ago when my friends were here at the coast to visit and her husband fell dead with a heart attack on their way to dinner. The second was last Jan 2 when my dad died. Then again yesterday when my step son in law died of an aortic aneurism. It reminds me of just how precious life is, and how much I was wasting mine. I learned that I am good in a crisis and be counted upon to do any task that needs doing, and not having to worry about hiding my drinking. I am so thankful for my sobriety. I am not hiding in a bottle and I am dealing with all the emotions. I am present and accounted for. Whatever you have to do to break free of this monster, do it. I promise, you will never be sorry.
                          Thank you for your kind condolences....i appropriate you all so much, and am so grateful for my friends here. Xo, Byrdie
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie, you are living proof that a sober life is the right life. You are here for all of us, showing us how to get this done, and you are present for your family and friends whenever they need you. Knowing I couldn't be counted on in the evenings really eroded my self-esteem and -confidence, which was worsened when I had to figure out how to manipulate situations so others would be responsible. Thank you for sharing your life with us so we can see how it is done and how MindPeace can be ours, too, if we no longer allow a drink to be our response to an argument, frustration, or even death. I'm so sorry you've had these losses and admire you so much for how you've handled them. We'll be keeping you close :l.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Amen to that NoSugar!
                              Byrdie, we have to be grateful for our health & sobriety every single day. You are doing just that & showing so many how to handle life with grace & strength :l:l
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters, a late check in for me today. I had to go and get blood taken as apparently i am "at that age" the dr says. Mmmm he will regret that one! I fasted for ten hours and went with my daughter. As i said to her today, i would get referrals before and think "okay i will give up drinking for 5 weeks then get the test done". I could not stop drinking for one day let alone 5 weeks. Now its been 35 days and I was not scared as if anything comes back i am fully prepared to talk to my dr instead of hiding that i am an alcoholic.

My second biggest test of all kind was my SIL visiting. Her and I had no problems drinking and drinking and getting blind drunk. She was my best drinking buddy in the world. I have emailed her a few times and told her i was not drinking to prepare her, not sure what for, maybe it was more for me. She replied with "am I alright, am i sick". Well the conversation finally came up and i told her i was not drinking as i did not want to die like my brother and a friend of hers of al. She asked if i was going to AA and i said no i was on this site and it was a godsend to saving my life. She then asked if i would ever drink again and I said NO, i cant, plain and simple. I drink to get drunk, i dont drink for fun and when i did drink it was not fun. She actually said she was proud of me and how good i looked but i really dont think she gets it but we are all good at hiding al away from others and she lives in another state. My daughter was with me and i asked her how she think it went and she said she was so proud of me and could see my determination in being sober and explaining myself about my problem with dignity and a sense of pride in being sober.

It is a weight off my shoulders that i did it, i talked about my problem, i admitted i had a problem and i know my ultimate goal is to be sober and alive. I am an alcoholic as i told her, its not hard for me to say anymore as it is what i am when i drink. It is the ultimate realisation for me saying i am an alcoholic but it is with proudness that I say i am beating this addiction and i will beat it. As Lav and Byrd say we need to be grateful everyday and I am.

For all of you newbies, it is achievable, its day by day, hour by hour, minute by minute and everytime you say no to al you will feel a sense of pride, i know i did but i also know if i did not post on here like a lunatic at times and post everyday that i would pretty much fail in the early days. I could not be accountable on my own, left to myself i would find a bottle but to be accountable on here is what matters to me. I have let myself and the team down many a time but not this time. I personally cant wait for my friend LC to come on and see my days since she has been gone, i know she will be very proud.

Ok ranting again so i am going for a nap. Stay safe everyone and welcome to the newbies.
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X