Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

MAE -

Cleaning, football, and getting ready to kiss vacation good-bye on the docket today.

Byrdie - you will have a hard day - we will be with you in spirit.

DipGal - Don't use this accident as an excuse to drink. Your husband sounds like he needs you to be present now, and maybe available to drive if he needs the ER or a doctor later - your drinking definitely will NOT help the situation.

Way to go, Rivergal - I definitely get support and strength by reading and posting here. Keep it up!

Badger - a much better name, for sure. Welcome back, and settle in.

J3 - A month vacation!? Lucky you. I visited Costa Rica a long time ago and just loved it. Pura vida!

I truly can't believe that this is my last day of vacation and that I spent the whole thing - Dec. 2 until now, completely sober. I thought that getting through December without booze would be one of the hardest things I've ever done - but surprise, surprise it wasn't. Once I got through the initial fear, a sober December was actually better than a boozy December. I feel better, got more exercise, and feel less depressed than I ever have after the holiday. I don't feel deprived - I feel grateful to be returning to work refreshed and revitalized rather than sad, tired and regretful.

Ok, Nesters. Off to get some stuff done. Happy sober Sunday!

Comment

Newbies Nest

:new::new:Hello Newbies and all,

second day today. Going to drink rootbeer and root for football, read and clean to keep busy. Have a good sober day!!

Michelle
      ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Comment

Newbies Nest

[QUOTE=Byrdlady;1608368] I have never seen anyone successfully moderate on these boards long term and believe me I look. NOT ONE. EVER. (if that tells you anything) Those are pretty strong words....that's why I try my best to help people get that hope of moderating out of their heads...because as long as hope is there, people won't let go of it.

I am sooo glad you've said that?it's been praying on my mind?I know I can't moderate?but why am I so different?.your comment shows me I"m not different - I'm the same as the vast majority?maybe anyone who can moderate is the oddball?:new:
        :thanks:
        Chop
        I gave myself a wonderful present on Christmas Day 2013 - a future free from the guilt and pain that alcohol causes....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all, welcome Badger and hello fellow quads. Didnt get on yesterday to post and am going to have to be pretty brief tonight, but am still hanging on in there on day 9! Last night was a challenge at a rugby club reunion, but I managed to stick to tonic water and felt great about it when I got back home without caving in.

Im finding it really helps reading the supportive posts and other peoples advice on here so thanks for that.

How are my fellow quads all getting on?
          I can beat this.
          Today is the day I start.
          1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

p.s

bit of a technophobe here, anyone tell me how to add a "signature" to my posts, i.e AF since etc etc...
            I can beat this.
            1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

user CP top left then u should see signature
              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cheers Dottie.
                I can beat this.
                1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Very glad I am NOT drinking...football team tanked yet again...I will wake up with a clear head but still be very disappointed....boohiss...
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sorry about your teams loss Dottie, remember there is always next year!! (tring to be optimistic!) Hope it wasn't the Bengals
                    On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

halo yes is was the bungals....same outcome different year....:upset:
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. I did have a wonderful day after all.
                        I hVe been checking out the nar anon forum this weekend and I will be spending a little time there as well as here.
                        I find I have work to do on that front also.
                        Mtngirl thanks for that post. I love hearing zbout where others live. You are very brave in my opinion. That winter camping is extreme. At least it always was the way we use to do it. Never again if I can help it. Living with my pa pa in Tijeras NM was too much like pure survivalists living for me.
                        Thanks Byrdie for telling us about trying to moderate. I do have people ask me about whether I can ever dri k again. Hubby asks fearfully, by the way. I just think to myself, why? I am enjoying life so much more without it.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie Belle;1608590 wrote: halo yes is was the bungals....same outcome different year....:upset:
                          I am a big football fan watched the game, am feeling your pain Dottie, here's a hug :l
                          I think it's the year of the Manning and not the New York one (obviously!)
                          Would be great if Peyton could win another in his brother's city
                          On a mission, and the only option is success. My family and I deserve a better life, an AF life.:h

Comment

Newbies Nest

HumbleRider;1608414 wrote: MAE.
                            It's interesting that this site is based on moderating yet you can't find anyone who has maintained a happy moderating lifestyle.

I could totally relate to this quote from Ann Johnston's Book Drink, I think it provides a good explanation why we can't moderate:

Peter Thanos a neuroscientist at the US National Laboratory states, "We know that alcoholism is a chronic, relasping brain disease. Alcoholics have lower D2 levels in their brains (these are nerve cell proteins to which the dopmaine must bind to send pleasure signals). An alcoholic will experience a reward deficiency, and compensate by drinking more to try to recapture the pleasure. Alcoholics will continue to drink to avoid the crash that comes with the low
                            ." says Thanos. (Pg 267) To the letter that was my relationship with AL. Moderation? Impossible, for me at least.

Here's to a great AF 2014 :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1608338 wrote: badger, welcome back! Have you set an actual quit date? Stick around now & buckle yourself in for the ride
                              Byrdlady;1608368 wrote:
                              Welcome back, Badger. No time like the present, let's get this thing started and begin your new life
                              thanks Nest Mums - today's the day

I spent a nice day with various family members - I was frankly in too much of a state over xmas/ny to think about driving anywhere to see anyone, so it was good to catch up, albeit a bit late

I'm feeling pretty okay today - better than I deserve to tbh - HR/BP okay, anxiety not too bad, bit of hand tremor but nothing terrible. I'm rattling full of supplements, not sure if they're doing much, but no cravings (L-Glut may be helping). hopefully might get a better night's sleep tonight than the last few

night all

-badger

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening all. Today was an emotionally draining day. I got nothing to give tonight except get sober no matter what it takes. I cannot imagine how I'd have gotten thru this day if I had still been tied to a bottle. I held it together today. No amount of AL would bring him back. Byrdie
                                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                                Tool Box
                                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Working...
                                X