Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Over, i was so bone tired for weeks and sometimes still am. I just sleep when i am tired and if i am awake at midnight who cares at least i am sleeping. My body is slowly adjusting but listen to your body if it is tired it is tired so sleep. You wont miss out on anything believe me!
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Jinglejo! Welcome back. Hope you feel better soon
      Ifell- it took me about 3 weeks to get out of that fog and feel clear

I love the feeling of not planning my evenings/weekends around alcohol. Here are some things I can do now that I couldnt before:

1. Drive to a basketball game bc my husband had a beer at home and didn't want to drive - I wouldn't have even have wanted to go to the basketball game bc I couldn't drink
      2. Stay the entire game and have a blast bc I was not worried about having enough drinking time at home
      3. Not worry how many beers in fridge so hubby won't notice how much I've been drinking
      4. Not feel guilty for being fussy w my kids (I'm just tired not drunk this time)
      5. Waking up without a hangover - that's the best
      6. Getting soooooo much more done

Lots more! But it's a start .... I hope you are all velcro'd in))

Comment

Newbies Nest

'Night, nest.

Meshell, way to go on a week. FF - I saw some quads on the roll call thread - I think you're not alone.

Love, how did it go today? DipGal - how did your Friday go?

Dottie - I am counting for now because I am a counter - I like to know the measure of my accomplishments. I can that there might be a day when I stop counting because I won't be contemplating sobriety QUITE so much (although, believe me, I have read plenty on the relapse thread and here to encourage me to stay very connected here).

Ava - good choice with your SiL. I think a long email is in order, and maybe you'll inspire her with your sobriety. I'm having a great time hanging on to these tail feathers with you.

A lot of large numbers racking up here. Me? 40! I am encouraged - it is the longest I have gone without alcohol since I was pregnant 12 years ago. That's really something in my book. I never thought I would have to quit alcohol. Then, when it became apparent that I SHOULD quit, I never thought I could. Then, when it became apparent that I HAD to quit, I never thought I would enjoy being sober. And now - 40 days in, I am amazingly surprised at how grateful I am to be here. I am tired, full and relaxed on a Friday night, and I know that I will wake up tomorrow after a good sleep, with no regret, and able to go on a long hike, be with my family and enjoy myself completely.

Thanks Nest - I really couldn't have done this without you all. Stay strong very newbies - it honestly and truly is worth it. xo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,
          Ifell, I will have 70 days tomorrow, and sometimes I'm still foggy. I can be articulate but at times I find myself speaking simplistically and hesitantly. It feels related to my alcohol use, and is diminishing as time goes on. I feel too like I am much more forgetful, short term memory stuff.

I can, great list! Here are some of the things I don't have to endure tonight:
          Not worry about who's going to call or come over while I'm drinking, or who I am going to text or call.
          Not have to guzzle the last of the bottle as I peer out the window hoping I can finish and rinse my mouth out before dh walks into the house.
          Not have to try to pretend I'm not then drunk in front of him, all the while cross-eyed. Not have to endure his pointed gaze upon entering the house to see if my eyes are crossed!
          Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pav, congrats on 40 days. Woohoo!!
            Every AF day is a milestone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

Lots of coffee made, help yourself!

Well done on a sober Friday, everybody - and if you could make it through yesterday, you can do it today too!

Talk again later - I'm off to enjoy the sunshine!

Have a wonderful and busy (or lazy) AF Saturday!
              14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome to the newcomers, this is a brilliant place where you will find so much advice. Brain fog - tell me about it! I'm AF for 7 weeks now, and would never have been able to do it without the good advice from established members and newbies - as someone has said in the last couple of days (hopeless at remembering who said what, I'm ashamed to say), newbies can often offer exactly the type of advice a fellow newbie needs.

I've been away overnight - a very rare occurrence paid for by my children (the ones who bought me wine for Christmas without realising I had quit over a month earlier...still sitting in the wine cabinet, I'm glad to say) to join them overnight; family ties mean it's all I can manage but oh what a delight it was! A real taste of freedom! They both drank, offered me some, tried to persuade me in a minor way, but took no for an answer.... and I was able to say no, and MEAN IT! I had dreaded such an occasion. I still didn't have the courage to tell them the details, but I did remark that I was disappointed the weight hadn't started falling off me now that I haven't been drinking. That's the first time I've alluded to my quit at all, even though I wasn't very up front about it. They ignored my comment about alcohol apart from saying it probably meant I was still having too many calories even if I've cut back 1000 a day. That was it, no questions, no awkward moments, but I reckon they probably talked about me and my refusal to drink, after I'd gone to bed as I think they must have been pretty stunned!

I did have a few minor flutters today - I won't say 'cravings' as it wasn't that bad - but that was the first time since I cut the alcohol. I figure it was because I had got myself into holiday mode... but I'm home again, and managed to make it through without any issues, and it just feels fantastic to have seven whole weeks under my belt!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.
                ---------------------------------

AF from 22 November 2013

Happily on the road to Sobriety - there's nowhere else worth going to...

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Everyone,

Congratulations to all for racking up AF days!

I love it when people list some or all of the benefits they get from staying AF. Always helpful to be mindful of the good things. And the benefits will grow exponentially!

At somewhere between 8 and 9 months AF, I am starting to search for something to fulfil me. I now have time and energy that I simply didn't have when I was in Al's grips. Still trying to figure out just what it is I want to do!

Stay focused on the benefits of being AF; they are worth so very much!

love and best wishes,
                  Steady
                  AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE to all , especially the quads!
                    had it I loved your post about what you can do with the weekend now. I must work (at home) for most of this one in order to prepare some things for work next week but I will allow myself some breaks. Going to have some lovely long walks and eat lots of food, need to put on at least half a stone, ideally a stone in weight. I am going to have fun doing this. Will do it with healthy foods . Also will spend time with family at some point which will be fun.
                    Now I am back at work I don't get so much time to post on here but I do have a little pop in each eve and read some posts. Helps keep me grounded.
                    Overit I can really relate to your tiredness, I have felt exhausted for the last 2 weeks, but pleased to report that since I have been back at work I have slept really well!
                    sixtyfour
                    Your family visit sounds lovely, glad it went so well.
                    Cold but lovely and sunny here, love to all xxx
                    New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Steady,
                      We must have posted at the same time! I love what you said, there are so many benefits to AF way of living, where as there are none to drinking. I treat myself each week that I am sober, one treat is flowers every week, seems a bit decadent but still a lot cheaper than abottle or 2 of wine every night!!
                      Darkest Diamond
                      New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Newbies Nest

a wee treat of flowers, lip gloss, a good book every week is good for you DD

Here's a wee poem for anyone struggling, remember. Saturday is just another day!

There are two days in every week about which we should not worry, two days which should be kept free from fear and apprehension.

One of these days is Yesterday with all its mistakes and cares,
                        its faults and blunders, its aches and pains.

Yesterday has passed forever beyond our control.
                        All the money in the world cannot bring back Yesterday.

We cannot undo a single act we performed;
                        we cannot erase a single word we said.
                        Yesterday is gone forever.

The other day we should not worry about is Tomorrow
                        with all its possible adversities, its burdens,
                        its large promise and its poor performance;
                        Tomorrow is also beyond our immediate control.

Tomorrow's sun will rise,
                        either in splendour or behind a mask of clouds, but it will rise.
                        Until it does, we have no stake in Tomorrow,
                        for it is yet to be born.

This leaves only one day, Today.
                        Any person can fight the battle of just one day.
                        It is when you and I add the burdens of those two awful eternities Yesterday and Tomorrow that we break down.

It is not the experience of Today that drives a person mad,
                        it is the remorse or bitterness of something which happened Yesterday and the dread of what Tomorrow may bring.

Let us, therefore, Live but one day at a time.

author unknown.
                        Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it! ~ Goethe

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all some great stuff on here and people doing bi numbers day 41 for me very glad I have stuck with it. Just one question what does MAE mean ?????.
                          AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good on you for 41 days Pop. Morning, Afternoon and Evening is what MAE stands for.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Glad to see our nesters progress reports - doing great

I hope everyone has a great AF weekend. I'm seeing rain & fog this morning which is not fabulous but better than ice & snow
                              Make it a great day everyone!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stay focused!

Loveless;1610747 wrote: I told my husband that if he is going to continue to drink and not get help to keep it and do it away from me. Sometimes I feel like he wants me to start drinking again just so I can't nag at him about it. or maybe he misses his "drinking buddy"...but maybe i am just paranoid.

I admit I have been struggling since I left detox but it has also been so nice getting back into my painting and the other hobbies i lost interest in while i was drinking. I also love going out and playing with my son and not needing to bring a bottle in my purse wherever we went and actually being able to remember what fun we had .

I am worried about my husband but he is making his own choices and I know very well that he is the only person who can make the decision to get help and stop. Right now I am focusing on my own sobriety and my son's welfare.

12 days is a huge deal for me and I am guarding it with all the fight I have in me.

Going to an AA meeting in less than an hour, I have major social anxiety and i am too shy to talk most of the time but I find just being there and listening helps. Yesterday was a huuge milestone for me, it was the first time at AA that I ever introduced myself as an alcoholic, which is something i never thought i could do in front of people.

Taking this fight one hour at a time. I'm not giving up.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful AF day

-Love
                                "Loveless", you sound "Lovely". Enjoy your meeting & the entire day. You deserve it! 12 days is frickin' HUGE! Keeping you in my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                                X