Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Welcome Bastet! So glad you are here and out of lurkdom! I tell you, the FEAR of starting is much worse that actually doing it! Just stay glued here and holler out BEFORE you get wobbly-legged! Just taking the time to come here and read and post can be ALL IT TAKES to get you out of a funk!!

Jane, I have missed you something awful and I'm glad you're back. Thank you for the kind words.....You are so right, the worst IS behind you...and as such, here's your moon!!

:moon:

Here's for 7 full days of kicking AL's arse! Shine on, dear lady!!!
    Hope everyone is having an easy day! Push those thoughts of AL out of your head! When was the last time AL did US any favors? Neva. It's out to strip us of our self esteem, our dignity and all we have accomplished. Kick it out and say good riddance! Getting AL out of my life was the best decision I have made in years! Stay the course, you will never be sorry! Byrdie

Edit to add: Tree and NoMoreJim, Day 13 is awesome...that's the day that something clicked in my head and I knew this was something I could do....are you both finding it easier now?
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie it gets easier every day. I had to walk past the alcohol aisle in the grocery store Saturday I looked but didn't stop and it gave me a very confident feeling. I really feel like this is the one quit that will stick. Thanks for your's and everyone else's inspiration!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for the welcome, Byrdlady! You are such an inspiration and one of the reasons I came out from lurking. All of you are saying how much better the AF life is and you can't ALL be lying. I know better how to approach quitting this time. Last time I white knuckled through 30 days so I could moderate and I was miserable. Now ODAAT and I want to be glad it is out of my life. I am just done with it and it is off the table.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Bastet;1612490 wrote: ... really want to be AF but I am scared. I keep reading how great it is but I feel like every day will be torture.
          Good for you Bastet. I agree with Birdlady that "the FEAR of starting is much worse that actually doing it!" Urge surfing is a good thing to understand and you will see that those urges pass much more quickly than you would imagine. It's not torture, just do what you need to, to concentrate on your quit.
          Go as far as you can see.
          When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Snuggling in for a sober, relaxing night and just wanted to check in. I am pleased to see so many new friends here. I hope to eventually get to know you all.

Bastet - just wanted to say hi and welcome. Glad you posted. I lurked for a long time and it didn't do me a bit of good. Well, that's not exactly true. I learned a lot by reading others posts, but getting actively involved in MWO is what saved my life. Nice to have you here. And I love your avatar.

K9 - Quitting smoking is so hard, but you can do it. I gave them up 3 months ago and never looked back. (and I smoked forever!) I only wish I had the same willpower when it comes to AL. I'm rooting for you.

And to everyone else, have a wonderful MAE. I am enjoying all of the uplifting, inspiring posts.
            Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Moss! I appreciate your words of support. I guess I need to change my thinking...same way we need to do with AL. A cigarette is not a "reward", it is poison! I'm just trying not to think about it for now.

Welcome Bastet! You've landed in a wonderful place. There is nothing to be afraid of. Did you have the same Avatar under your previous name? I recognize it.

Hope you're all having a great Monday...mine is almost over...finally!
              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters...I haven't posted in a long, long time (it seems that finding the right words is not an easy task for me). However today I realized it has been 2 years, exactly, since my last drink. "Drink" to put it mildly, it was a more like binge on scotch. I could have never done it without the wisdom I found in this place. I always wished I could give back more, but with other things going on in my life, that just doesn't seem to happen.

Life is weird. A couple of months ago I found out that my brother (the one who "busted" me that last night of drinking) admitted to me that he has a serious drinking problem, and was clearly still drunk at 10am when he confided that and a lot of other things to me. He has always been my rock and go to person, and it was scary to see him break down. However, because of my journey away from AL, I was able to help my brother.

But I would never be AF for two years without MWO, and the very special people that work so hard to show newbies the way. Even those that have come back after "modding" and tell about their experience (and this is a tale told over and over again) have no idea how much they help others.

The traps are still out there, even set by my husband who bought some sort of Peruvian liquor something that he wants to mix into a drink and for me to "have a little one" with him. Thanks, but no thanks I tell him, because a) I really don't want one (it sounds gross with raw egg whites in it) and b) I know where it may take be if I do have one.

Life is still incredible stressful but none of it is worth drinking over so far. I say "so far" because I really still take it one day at a time. I know that just for today, I will not drink.

Thanks to you all for being there...and to the newbies who are just starting down the path. It is truly worth it. Life still isn't all butterflies and unicorns, but it is so much better than wasting days with hangovers, and always working so hard to hide booze.
                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9lover, no I had a different name but no avatar. Bastet is an Egyptian goddess with the head of a cat so the avatar seemed fitting. As I can tell by your name you love dogs, I am just crazy about cats. I bred Bengals for 8 years. Thanks so much for your welcome! Tonight is the first witching hour to get through without AL in a long time. I know I can do it. I have lots of na beverages and bought some detox tea that I'm sure my liver will be happy for. I have been lurking since thanksgiving so tonight I can finally settle down in the nest. I feel like I know many of you already and I look forward to actually communicating with you. Here's to a pleasant AF night for all of us!

Comment

Newbies Nest

It is pretty cool to read posts by a person on her 2nd AF anniversary and one by a person just beginning this great adventure right in a row.

Congratulations, Belle, and just think, Bastet, in 2 years, a post like that can be yours ! It seems to go slowly at first but you'll be surprised how quickly the days can add up.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Real scary

Guitarista;1612264 wrote: Hi Nesters.

Close call for me today.

Too much dwelling on a couple of negatives which began to snowball. All Ok though. I noticed my thinking and detached from it and tried to observe it and let the thoughts be. Interesting experience, but scary stuff isn't it?

Hope all are as well as can be.
                      I had intense thoughts of stopping for booze after work and started making up how I would lie to cover it up. I talked myself out of it. Shit, one is one too many, and one more is never enough! Country song I do believe! Still sober & feeling much better after dinner. Enjoying fresh hot ginger tea.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hello & welcome Bastet!
                        Glad you decided to join us. please settle in, make yourself comfortable

Belle, CONGRATS to you on your 2 years AF :wd:
                        So much changes in two years, you must be proud of your accomplishment!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, All:

I agree, NS - cool to see those two posts in a row.

Welcome, Bastet and settle in. I was SO afraid that life would be no fun if I quit drinking that the fear kept me in the prison of alcohol. Now that I am 43 days sober, I have found that life is BETTER without alcohol. There are times when I miss the "high" and ease of the first drink, but for me it never stopped there - I kept chasing that feeling through the night, never finding it again.

Thanks for the stop by, BelleGirl - so great to hear about successes! It is an important reminder to us newbies that even after 2 years it is important to take it one day at a time.

K9 - always grateful when you pop by. Those cigs will be a thing of the past soon!

Happy end of Monday, all.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am doing a quick check in again tonight. I am protecting my quit with everything I have. There is nothing worth giving it up for. Nothing will be made better by drinking.
                            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

All, I am also making a quick stop just to say hi. Very proud for all people staying strong.

Little Beagle - you are strong and you can do it. I know you AF for a long time now and drinking will not solve anything.
                              AF since 10/20/2013
                              Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                              Meat free since 09/20/2008
                              ---------------------------------------
                              With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rivergal
                                you are so right, in our world there is no such thing as one. Good recognizing the thought and the lie. Even better you MADE THE CHOICE NOT TO DRINK!!
                                Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Working...
                                X