Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Well, I am on my way home to cook dinner and drink tea instead of wine. Behavior change here we come. Wish me luck friends, this used to be my favorite part of the day. My proverbial "cigarette in a wineglass".

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just saw a sandwich board sign in front of a liquor store that said, " Why eat your pain when there is vodka!" I mean come on should we really sub out one addiction for another and is drinking to blot your pain better than eating too much!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good luck Cherokeer!

Let's both get through this day...you without your wine and me without a cig...we can do this ok?

Bastet - Your comment on the sign reminded me of something I saw the other day. It said "5 reasons not to get a DUI" and of course it listed the usual: fines, jail, classes, etc. then it said "the embarrassment of telling your friends". That's the hypocritical part...you can BRAG all you want about how much you drink, but you should be embarrassed when you get a DUI? That's like being proud of all your sexual conquests, then being ashamed of getting a STD. The end result should be no huge suprise in either scenario.
        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

So true K9. Starting to feel better after reading MWO posts.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everybody!!! I hope everybody doing fine. I wonder where David is. I am approaching big 90 days mark in coupe days and I already started thinking about time passed and me bring AF and how I feel about it. There are a lot to think about and a lot to be thankful for.
            AF since 10/20/2013
            Smoke free since 09/24/2007
            Meat free since 09/20/2008
            ---------------------------------------
            With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening nesters,

Hello & welcome Yellow Lab, glad you found us

Myluck, try writing it all down & you'll really see how grateful you are at this point. Awesome work approaching 90 days.

I learned early on to ignore all the advertising Bastet - it's all Bull.....!

Cherokeer, don't fear making those changes in your behavior & routine. You'll never be sorry - honestly

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
              AF since 03/26/09
              NF since 05/19/09
              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well friends, I am heading to bed soon. I drank tea and water. Feeling kind of giddy. No wine. feeling in control. I like it!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Everyone:

Way to go, Cherokeer - one of the wise ones here in the nest put it well - each time you get through a craving or a challenge sober you are building your sober muscles to strengthen your determination.

I was thinking since there are a lot of us "tweeners" here in the nest at the moment that it might be a good time to remember the pink cloud effect. Overit posted this in her thread and I go back to it often - a great reminder of what some of us might be feeling.

The “pink cloud” is best described as a period of time where the addict or alcoholic experiences a reprieve from the struggles associated with early recovery. These struggles are generally associated with the feelings of depression, anger, resentment, self pity and the realization of where their drug addiction or alcoholism has taken them.

Upon experiencing this phenomenon for the first time, the addict or alcoholic is understandably excited. They begin to believe they now “hold the key” to their recovery. This is where the seed for relapse is planted. They begin to believe more in themselves than in the process they have been following. Without the pain as a daily reminder, they tend to forget about what it took for them to embrace recovery. Denial rears its ugly head and they minimize how devastating their drug addiction and alcoholism really was and that they have a disease of drug addiction and alcoholism that requires attention on a daily basis. Relapse prevention becomes an afterthought as the person becomes defiant and rebellious regarding suggestions contrary to their desires. Without resorting to drugs or alcohol, the individual in recovery is one step away from relapse. Remember, relapse is not an event, it is a process.

Good night, nesters. Happy hump day. Stay strong, focus on one day at a time. We can do this!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati, thank you for a great reminder!
                    AF since 10/20/2013
                    Smoke free since 09/24/2007
                    Meat free since 09/20/2008
                    ---------------------------------------
                    With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Find I have to post on each page or I can't remember what people said what.
                      Welcome yellow lab ( I have one) and good luck
                      Jane and Cherokeer I enjoyed your posts. Cherokee I could feel your pain in one of them and am so sorry you suffering brought you to AL- he's an unforgiving SOB
                      Lifechange 3c) really resonates w me -----I still want that Ahhhhh at the end of the day - the NA beer is doing it most if the way but there's a niggle of wanting more.... Just glad the good of sober outweighing that feeling!!!!! Ok I'm going to keep reading

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh whoever said Diary if Alcoholic Housewife helped them- I agree..... It gives me such a feeling of I'm not the only one too

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yellow and K9 I spent the majority of my twenties watching TV and drinking beer after beer and taking smoke breaks outside.... (Sad to say that) but I can so relate to that .... The hangovers weren't horrible then like they became in past few years ....(42 now)... I didn't drink w my 4 pregnancies which slowed progression during my 30s and if course taking care of 5 kids under 7 didn't give me much time to veg and drink but that's how I've always preferred to drink .... Alone beer after beer after beer after beer... Wake up swearing never again and starting again anyway... Sad and lonely life

Comment

Newbies Nest

LB I just wanted to say hi and wow you are doing phenomenal! I hope your struggles ease up soon

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yeah, great to hear from you K9 & Ican... and everyone else, totally new at all of this. I did enjoy admitting my normal drinking pattern on here, kinda cool just telling the truth. I guess that's why I drink alone. Yeah, K9 I can totally relate to the waking up and not remembering what stupid posts I put up, or who I emailed heartfelt declarations of love to with tears streaming down my face (usually family members back home or old friends from back home). I am originally from the U.S., have lived here in Aus for 10 years. So my relationship with al was often trying to get drunk enough to cry and feel, escape...as I am also a workaholic and have a very small life outside of my job. So weird, but until I was sobbing alone in my computer room...I couldn't call it a night. So I'm on an antidepressant now since Oct., (Zoloft)...this has helped with the desire to feel and cry, but it seems I've been craving al more and less able to tell myself no...I've actually started drinking more and staying up almost till dawn, then waking up early with my family and playing the part of a lady who has it all together. Or I'm too hungover and try my best to hide that too....it's not fun, I feel like an idiot going round and round in circles. I cannot drink even one drink, after that I become a different person. I'm 40...so it's pretty dumb to throw more years of my life away into the dark cloud. I'm doing okay today day 2, I've really gotten a lot from everyone's posts on here, the honesty is particularly comforting today.
                              :new:

AF since January 15, 2014
                              Goal: short-term make it through this week, then the rest of the month of Jan.
                              Long-term: no more ever...not even one, because I can never have just one.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Today is day 2 for me. Tomorrow is usually a trigger because I go to a knitting group and then on the walk home I stop at a corner store. I like to walk to dark quiet neighborhood sipping a Mikes and looking at the stars. I wish I could think of something to sub at the store but pop is so bad... I should read that housewife book. That's me. I'm the boring-est drunk ever. Drink beer and fold laundry. What a party. :P Night all. Here's to waking up to a clear head in the morning!

Comment

Working...
                                X