Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

So true London, when we dont pour al down our throats the world is a better place. Al is a depressant and we dont realise it until we are sober. You sound so positive now and im so proud of your AF days, keep them going and be vigilant. hope you are still broke ha ha!.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Can I recommend this to people who have an open mind:

Psycho-Cybernetics

Psycho-Cybernetics, A New Way to Get More Living Out of Life: Maxwell Maltz: 9780671700751: Amazon.com: Books

One of the most important books I have read. I need to get working on the drills in the book.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks for the coffee, Dream- you make the best!

I am feeling great this morning and very positive about my quit. I have plenty of food to keep my blood sugar level stabilized today and the cravings away. I am hoping to take a nice walk again this afternoon and of course, hang out here as much as possible.
        Fin, I hope you were able to stay away from the IPA last night, but if not, let's firm up the plan and begin again- okay?

xoxo star
        :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Starfish1;1614382 wrote: Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks for the coffee, Dream- you make the best!

I am feeling great this morning and very positive about my quit. I have plenty of food to keep my blood sugar level stabilized today and the cravings away. I am hoping to take a nice walk again this afternoon and of course, hang out here as much as possible.
          Fin, I hope you were able to stay away from the IPA last night, but if not, let's firm up the plan and begin again- okay?

xoxo star
          YESSSSS!!! Made it and also feeling very good. The haze has lifted!!!
          Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
          Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Woohoo! Fin :wd::wd::wd:

Hey, if you have any more of that nasty beer around your place (chillin in the fridge or whatever)- just dump it out, sweetie! We don't need that temptation around. All the liquor (including the empties) is gone from my house- and I plan to keep it that way.

Be good- :H
            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Shoot, just got a text from one of my best friends and she is in town and wants to go out for dinner and drinks. I'm not drinking and I feel strong in that. Yesterday when I realized I was drinking at my husband my craving for wine went away. Now that may be momentary I don't know. I am for the most part trying to set myself up for success. Tomorrow is my birthday so instead of dinner where there normally would have been lots of drinking I have organized a luncheon instead.

Yesterday I was kind of emotionally exhausted. This morning when my Yorkie jumped on my face for his morning hug I had a smile on my face. I feel like I can take a deep breath. Although I am worried about an event that is coming up at the end not this month. It's yearly event my book club puts on. It's an entire day of enormous fun. It starts out with a Mimosa in Waterford crystal with breakfast and continues with cosmos with lunch and your choice of wine for dinner. I don't know what the hell I am going to do. I can't not attend. My best friend lost her husband this time last year.

I can skip the lunch and breakfast drinks as I don't like them anyway but we have an evening drinking game that is riotously funny and I have always been the life not the party. Cranberry juice looks like wine in Waterford right? Damn, reinventing the wheel in social situations...... help please.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Chero, good decision to change your birthday plans. Re the book club thing - could you do the daylight events and then develop a convenient headache and leave early? That way you still get time to spend with your friend, and protect your quit. I would have opted out of the thing entirely, but understand your reason for not doing so.
                14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

DreamThinkDo;1614408 wrote: Chero, good decision to change your birthday plans. Re the book club thing - could you do the daylight events and then develop a convenient headache and leave early? That way you still get time to spend with your friend, and protect your quit. I would have opted out of the thing entirely, but understand your reason for not doing so.
                  This is a great idea...
                  Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                  Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Everyone

Its great to be here amongst lots of friends all striving to get to the same promised land of being AF! We will all get there someday and beat that bottle!!

I would like to thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

We would especially like to thank Lavande, Pavati and DreamThinkDo for giving support at this early stage.

We are working together TJ and me(HP her inbuilt quit buddy)

TJ is now on her 12th Day AF and doesn't look like shes giving up anytime soon!:goodjob:

HP is abstaining from alcohol during 2014 to support her. So far I'm on day 14.

We are getting there. One day at a time
                    :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dream, your brilliant. I get migraines. I have medication for them that I don't dare mix with alcohol. I could simply state I felt a migraine coming on and took a pill so unfortunately I can not drink in combination with that. THANK YOU! I couldn't fall back asleep last night worried about how I was going to navigate through that event. Thanks again

Comment

Newbies Nest

"It's funny, but I really believe the Universe works in weird ways. I believe in the power of positive thought.

Drinking keeps me in the dumps.

When I am serious about being AF, my life seems to pick up. I am more pleasant in general as I feel awake to the world. And the Universe starts bringing good things my way.

That all stops as soon as I drink. Maybe the Universe is testing me. Drink and you get nothing. Make a go at life and you can get what you want?

Sounds New Age, but I really believe in energy and the laws of attraction."

I completely agree with you Londoner and I have observed the same thing. When the economy crashed I really started looking at my thoughts and how thy affect my life and have been trying to reconstruct my negative thinking habits. I think from a very young age I have been trained to thing negetively of myself and that made me vulnerable to alcohol in the first place. I have been making conscious changes and the biggest hurdle I face is when I binge. I spend at least three days afterwards telling myself what a loser I am, I should give up, etc. Then I gradually climb out, start feeling better and then when things start going good I binge again! It's like I'm afraid to do better than what I'm used to!

As soon as I drink I am completely knocked off center and don't even have access to that better part of me. Also, Eckhart Tolle's idea of the pain body has really resonated with me as well. I think my pain body LIKES shame. My mom used shame a lot. She also carried a lot of shame. I really want to break this cycle. Start of day 4 for me.

Cherokeer, can you just say something like lately alcohol has been really upsetting your stomach (or something like that.) and you're avoiding it for a while? I feel like I don't have to explain to people why I quit, but letting them know I have in an off hand manner might cut down on the temptations presented to you. I hope all goes well with your friend.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, cross posting, glad you got it figured out.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey I made it through Friday night AF! 3 days down!!! I went to my first aa meeting tonight, I was clueless what to do and awkward at first...but I felt really proud of myself for actually walking in and not changing my mind. Came so close to not finding my way in the door. I actually shared a bit, kinda made me feel hopeful in myself...like I really mean it this time, I am longing for the feeling of being free for many months and being able to depend on myself. I'd love to be able trust myself in the knowledge that I will keep myself poison free. So I guess, if I can't even trust myself...probably no one else does either.

Hey Chero, I was thinking ...that would be a very risky situation for me go to at this early stage especially. Drinks with friends...remembering great drinking games. What about asking someone to go with you who doesn't drink, then try to do what they do? It'd be cool if you could go with someone who could sort of support you in your sobriety, help you not feel awkward then you could have a plan to go somewhere great after like a movie or something, so you don't get hardcore cravings. I'd have to get the heck out of there before they even brought up drinking game...too much pressure and not enough equipment to survive that, sober anyway.
                            :new:

AF since January 15, 2014
                            Goal: short-term make it through this week, then the rest of the month of Jan.
                            Long-term: no more ever...not even one, because I can never have just one.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: Yellow Lab

I'm glad you're here around lots of new friends who will I'm sure be able to help your on your journey. Believe in yourself and others will follow.

I'm here too helping my friend to be AF. 12 Days and counting. It wont be long till you reach your goals too. One day at a time!

Next Saturday we may be attending an Open AA type meeting. Like you I hope we find the door as it can seem a daunting task.

We both wish success with beating the bottle. Keep on going.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gracie, I have actually been rolling explanations and reasons around in my head to explain why I am not drinking in social situations. Right now I am just too damn stubborn and prideful to admit out loud to anyone even my husband that I am sick of drinking my feelings into oblivion. I have a lot of internal work to do on myself. A lot of feelings that need to be felt and released into the universe.

The stomach issue is a very good, actually excellent one that will give me an "out" for some time. I am not sure at this how I am going to self-identify. I feel like I am creating a new path through the jungle and I am not sure which way to go and exactly where I am going to end up. All I know is there is this picture of me in my head of a happy healthy me that I deserve to be and come hell or high water I will get there. I have been through hell my entire life and haven't broke yet. I'll be damned if a bottle of poisoned unhealthy coping mechanism is going to take me down.

I know it's a process. I look at it as a challenge. I am stubborn. Knock me down I get right back up and charge back in. Wine is now my demon, my enemy and the fight is on. I looked at wine as my friend before. My comfort, my escape. My "F You" to the world. In reality the only one getting "F'd" was me and I was the one doing it to myself. Funny how re-orchestrating your thought processes elicit a whole new set of emotions. I'm pissed at wine. Please tell me if this sounds completely insane. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X