Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hi nesters, I hope you all having nice evening in the cozy nest. As days go by in my AF life, I keep thinking that I owe myself to write up a pits about how I feel. I am planning to do this for 150 days - I will write "150 things that I love about being AF" - how that sounds? I better start collecting things now
    By the way I am proud of all new members progress - we are doing awesome - just look at the roll call stats.
    AF since 10/20/2013
    Smoke free since 09/24/2007
    Meat free since 09/20/2008
    ---------------------------------------
    With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Caper, this is the Newbie's Nest - could you please have your arguments with RJ, Kuya, and everybody else on a different thread?
      Thanks
      14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters
        And after that unpleasant interlude, some coffee to calm me down

Myluck, a brilliant idea to celebrate 150 days AF!

Marylou, great post. I do hope that staying AF will bring about a reconciliation between you and your husband. If not - you will still be sober, which is key to everything else. Stay strong - glad you used the butt velcro last night!

Will find and repost, LC.

Ice skating queens - be careful out there!

I have a cooking demo on this morning - no, I'll be in the audience, not in the hot kitchen - and will see what happens afterwards.

Everybody, have fun on your AF Saturday.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE again!

Here are the links LC asked for

Start with this one: 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself - StumbleUpon ; this is a companion article, looking at the same points but from an opposite angle: 30 Things to Start Doing for Yourself

There are some thought-provoking posts on Marc and Angel Hack Life - Practical Tips for Productive Living - well worth spending some time there over the weekend

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'd be happy to, if I weren't banned from there...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dream,that's a lovely cup of Joe you go there. Thanks for pouring.

Just got back from my wife's birthday party, we went out to dinner with our kids and their respective significant others, early to late 20's. Lots of wine, mixed drinks and I was a little overwhelmed to think that was me then and up to spring of last year as well. The big difference was that I would have there to get drunk. These guys were drinking, to be sure, but no one was ready for the next one before the first was gone. Truly I drink differently than any that sat at that table. Not that it is any big revelation, rather it is an ongoing recognition of what is.

Hope everyone is safe and sound tonight.
              SamIbe
              Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Samstone;1621217 wrote: Truly I drink differently than any that sat at that table.
                That's the difference between "us" and "them" - and why I've come to accept that I simply could not moderate.

Glad you enjoyed the coffee - hope it doesn't keep you awake!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Night Jane - thweet dleamth!

And I've been up for hours already, the Undies are probably having lunch or something!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, all:

Marylou – Love your list – thanks for sharing. Much of that is true for me, too.

Londoner – great work on your 30 days. I love the asterisk ticker in your signature. Congratulations!

Sam – sounds like a great evening. Hard, but great. That is a startling revelation to me, too – I drink differently from a lot of people.

Dreamy - thanks for the coffee. You have the nicest mugs.

Lav - that idea of drinking AT things and situations is powerful. Interesting that it took your sobriety for him to leave...

Everyone else - good night. After 15 hours at worked, I am very tired, but sober! Good night (and good morning to you on the other side of the Pacific.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good MAE Nesters,

DO! as per usual a delicious cup of coffee! I love the new mugs you've been pulling out. Thank you for posting the link again-- good things to remember and keep in mind. I am offering such a boring breakfast of toast with peanut butter. sorry-- just can't be bothered this morning!

MaryLou, that was a powerful list of reasons you want to be sober. Double digits are great. Wishing you strength and sending support your way this weekend.:l

hi Pavati and Sam!

I will head to the gym early this morning (relatively early) to get myself started off on the right foot.
                      see you all later...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Marylou thank you for the reasons to be AF, I managed to give up alcohol for nearly 2 years and then I went to the GP with a virus and she said my blood pressure was quite high, she asked me if I drank to "de-stress" and I said no, and she actually told me that a couple of glasses of wine wouldn't hurt and would de-stress me! (my work was quite stress full at the time) she suggested I had the wine! I now wonder whether she was trying to convince herself too! So I did and then it just snowballed again, that was 2010. Since then I've tried to give up and only got to 6 weeks at a time, its now my 5th week and I feel so good, but I can feel myself starting to notice posts on facebook, television programmes, etc promoting wine and I've come back to get me past the cravings and remember why its so good not to drink, I just keep remembering waking up with blood shot eyes, telling people at work I had a migraine, waking up in the night with having nightmares and not getting back to sleep, waking to drink water, go to loo all the time and I know the few hours of drinking the night before leads to a full night and the next day of misery, self guilt, inability to work or play and feeling ill, tired and lethargic.
                        AF since 8.8.14

Comment

Newbies Nest

WW, good to see you back here! I'm glad you noticed some red flags and jumped back onto your perch!

Did your GP know about your drinking? It's really unprofessional to prescribe Al as a pseudo-medicine when somebody has a drinking problem.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Marylou123;1621135 wrote: Thanks Star -- I actually wrote those 8 days ago (I hit double digits today - yeah) but absolutely had to reread them today. I sticking here like glue tonight. :-)
                            Sorry about the confusion, Mary Lou and double digits is AWESOME! Keep up the great work!

My Luck, You are doing great! We look forward to your 150 day post!

Sam, Isn't it MUCH more fun for "us" now to be nondrinkers at these kinds of functions? Drinking and keeping track of how much other folks drank at the party wore me out.

Thanks the coffee and the cute mugs, Dreamy...both are magnificent, as usual!

Jane - Hope you had thweet dreams, and does "thee thell theshells by the theeshore"?:H

Hope you got a good night's sleep, Pav! 15 hours! :upset:

LC- you have inspired me to go to the gym this morning. PP has to have those buns looking good for an upcoming moonshine!

WW- wow, is all I can say. I admire your strength and courage, and your 5 weeks. One time when I relapsed, it took me 4 years to get back. You are doing great! Some doctors are dumbasses and that's all i'm gonna say about that.

xoxo Star
                            :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Thanks for the coffee DTD & I love your new mugs as well - very nest appropriate

winterwalk, I am retired from the medical profession, spent a lifetime in nursing. Back when I started out it was very common for the docs to recommend a drink or two to people to calm down after a busy day. I ended up falling into that trap myself, not knowing where it was going to lead me & it helped drive up my blood pressure as well. Now thankfully we all know healthy lifestyle changes & the addition of some meditative time are better choices.

I have lots & lots to do to keep me out of trouble today. Wishing everyone a great AF Saturday!!!!

Lav
                              AF since 03/26/09
                              NF since 05/19/09
                              Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well, what a way to start the "moonth" of February, everyone! The prize patrol has TWO full moons to bestow today... Butt first, our riddle of the month....( everybody put your "stinkin" caps on)

What did one butt cheek say to the other butt cheek? (Don't all answer at once! Byrdie, put your hand down....members of the PP are disqualified)
                                And the answer is:
                                Together we can stop this s#*t!!

Yes, we can! That's why we have to stick together, guys!

...er, on to more important "dooings"

Let's give it all up for LifeChange and Maji, who have conquered SEVEN days of beating Al's sorry arse. Every day of the week! Now just rinse and repeat. We are so proud of you!

LC

Maji

xoxo PP
                                :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Working...
                                X