Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Afternoon all

HP and TJ back in the nest on a cold but sunny Monday afternoon!

Lifechange- Yes its good to have you here with us and to have reached 8 days AF! I know we are gonna be here for sometime too, so we will keep an eye on you and engourage where we can.
    TJ is doing great on Day 29! She is such a kind person. Last night while she was home alone, I was at the Superbowl party I attend every year. She was telling me 'Its ok, you have a drink' so kind of her to do that for me. I'm in this with her and would feel like I had let the team down if I had drunk. But I didn't want or need to drink. I had a few red bulls and still enjoyed the party like always.

Nomorjim- 34 days and counting is great! We are only just behind you on this journey. Keep it going.

Marylou- Keep it up too, there will be many milestones that you will fly by soon enough with the help of everyone here!

Starfish- Thanks for the encouragement. It all helps.

Bye for now
    Have a happy AF Monday

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all..
      we dodged the snow bullet for today but it is on the way for later in the week....bleh
      Found an ad for a dentist with lots of cheap specials so we may check it out..closer to home too.
      It was so good to NOT drink during the super bowl..since it was such a dud I would have been drinking to have something to do....NOT yesterday and I feel so good....So proud of us ALL!!
      Off to run some errands before the next blizzard.
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

Ican and Londoner - proud of you two! You are an inspiration, Ican - you just keep on working at being AF, not letting a slip discourage you - that takes enormous strength of will.

Jenny - butt velcro, as Pav said.

HP and TJ - big day coming up tomorrow - well done!

Jim, I'm in awe of people who give up Al but don't have the support of the people they love. You are doing great!

To those of you still being blessed :H with snow (and it sounds as if it's just about everybody) - keep warm and safe, and be patient - spring is waiting in the wings.

I ran out of LPG before was supper was completely cooked. Now, back in the days that would have been a good excuse to go out for supper and have a bottle of wine with it at the restaurant. Tonight, I shrugged my shoulders, and went on with life. What a good feeling that was!

I've to be up early tomorrow morning, so good night (or whatever time it is to you) to all.
        14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks for all your support friends!!
          Butt properly and securely velcro'd in this evening?..
          I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,
            Not much to say here just checking in on day 22. It feels good to have three weeks under my belt. I am still being very careful and skipped the Super Bowl party yesterday. I am also skipping dinner out with my husband and his out of town guest and instead picking up a few more hours of work. It is just too hard to have three at the table and two are sharing a bottle of wine.
            I haven't really read back that far but good luck on the presentation Siren. TJ and HP, you both are doing great, what good friends you seem to be and both looking out for each other. Almost 30 days for both of you! Life change 8 days is a big deal and I love reading your posts they are very insightful. Byrdlady you are right every time someone dies due to an accidental overdose it just bring all of it home. And the fact that he was clean for so many years just means that none of us our safe and we have to really pay attention. I just read over that and actually that is a little scary! I'm not sure that I have that in me forever. I guess that is why we focus on today. Actually I'm ok looking two days ahead because I get a treat every two days. Ice cream for Tuesday night. Wishing you all a good afternoon and evening.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters - what a roller coaster the past 36 hours have been. I am emotionally drained but I am AF! I will post more tomorrow. You all keep me going this weekend, thank you. (Byrdie - special thanks :h)

Time to catch up on what's been going on here in MWO. I need to zap some strength and then get some sleep.
              Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Yep Siren - it sure has been a snowy day in PA
                I tired of looking at it, tired of moving it around too!!

Gratitude is the way to go kids, seriously!
                Be grateful for each & every minute you are free to be your real self

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!!!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nighty all! Great job today, Bastet, Jennie and Marylou! Stay strong, you will never regret it! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good going TJ.
                    Jim congratulations. You are doing wonderful.
                    Using MWO and contacting someone when you are in trouble will save so much GSR. Hope everyone has a great MAE.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, All:

A friend sent me this - it is from her dad who is in recovery. The quote is from a NA daily ponderable - I thought it might help some of us in the nest to contemplate the message (whatever your feelings are about NA/AA):

"We felt different... Only after surrender are we able to overcome the alienation of addiction."
                      Basic Text, p. 22

"But you don't understand!" we spluttered, trying to cover up. "I'm different! I've really got it rough!" We used these lines over and over in our active addiction, either trying to escape the consequences of our actions or avoid following the rules that applied to everyone else. We may have cried them at our first meeting. Perhaps we've even caught ourselves whining them recently.

So many of us feel different or unique. As addicts, we can use almost anything to alienate ourselves. But there's no excuse for missing out on recovery, nothing that can make us ineligible for the program- not a life-threatening illness, not poverty, not anything. There are thousands of addicts who have found recovery despite the real hardships they've faced. Through working the program, their spiritual awareness has grown, in spite of-or perhaps in response to those hardships.

Our individual circumstances and differences are irrelevant when it comes to recovery. By letting go of our uniqueness and surrendering to this simple way of life, we're bound to find that we feel a part of something. And feeling a part of something gives us the strength to walk through life, hardships and all.

Just for Today: I will let go of my uniqueness and embrace the principles of recovery I have in common with so many others. My hardships do not exclude me from recovery; rather, they draw me into it.

Everyone is sounding great - the velcro seems to be working. Now scoot over so I can tuck in safely. zzzzzz.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

Tuesday has arrived...

Marylou - one of the things I've had to learn is that drinking won't make the bad times any better (on the contrary) and knowing this has made staying AF so much easier for me. Be proud of yourself in staying strong and asking for help when you needed it.

Bastet, careful trumps complacent! I know that I won't ever drink again, and that change in phrasing - won't ever vs never - helped me in not seeing being AF as a lifelong prison sentence.

Have a wonderful AF Tuesday Nesters - let's keep on racking up those AF days!

Comment

Newbies Nest

PAv, thanks for that quote - there's a lot in there to think about.

Have a good Tuenday!

LC, where are you - I'm starting to feel hungry - any muffins to spare?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nesters-
                            I just wanted to say hello! I have been doing well but super busy with birthday and house offers and getting loan etc! Still staying strong. Only had one second of temptation after my mom said something about her wine glass storage in my prospective place. I realized yesterday after mom had finished off a bottle that I am very grateful that i have 34 days AF and I do not want it again! So hello everyone, hope every one is doing well. Still super busy and just got the preapproval for my loan. Putting in an offer tomorrow. So hopefully soon I'll be a home owner and then I'll have the fun of installing floor and painting and all that!!! Talk to you soon!
                            :earth: Tree23

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good MAE lovelies!:h

DO, you make the best coffee in the whole wide world-- no where I'd rather go for a cup! Let's see, if you have a minute, I could whip up some berry scones. I also have the usual oatmeal with cinnamon and apples and the very nutritious pea protein shake for all you Vegans out there!
                              I like the way you re-worded "I will never drink again" to "I won't ever drink again". That slight change does make a difference, doesn't it? I've found that a lot of what I say in regards to goals I have are stated in the negative. I'm going to make a list of my goals today and will check to make sure they are written positively.

My eldest is leaving today with her best friend for a few days vacation-- so I will be back after I take her to the train station to write more. I had time to read all the posts from yesterday... I love this Nest... but not yet to reply...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey my fellow newbies, I have been out of circulation for a while as I had a slip-up & drank on Saturday. I am so annoyed with myself, because I didn't even make a week, and then as I had stuffed up on myself I drank Sunday as well to make myself feel better about failing to be AF on Saturday, and same again on Monday! Like as if that ever works :-(

So I am feeling very stupid and as if I was really weak not to be able to say no, but rather than keep on going with it I"m going to get back on the horse that I fell off, and so here I am coming to the end of yet another Day 1. :-( When I read about all you people getting to Day 20 & 30 & 50 & 60 and beyond it gives me hope it is possible, one day at a time. So here we go again.... More practice on the mindfulness & tolerating anxiety instead of trying to drown it in alcohol, which only makes it worse anyway (as I have had of pleasure of experiencing today.)

Thank you all for being there, it's great to know that even when I mess up like I did this weekend there is somewhere I can come where people will be able to relate to not only the struggles around learning to negotiate AF life, but also how crappy it makes me feel to have not been as successful as I wanted.

Hugs x

Comment

Working...
                                X