X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Jane, great article!

On addicts:

"They just want to feel better. They just want to feel normal. They just want to stop feeling everything else for a little while."

I completely agree with this statement. When I'm "up" I honestly have no desire for a drink, but when I'm in a depressive state, I NEED the drink.
    Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

how do all
      a quick check into the nest. I look often but haven't posted in awhile, simply because there's already reams of good advice here. Lots of folks doing so well, new faces doing so well, it is really good to see! It is really an amazing cyber community.
      Keep on keeping on!!
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow!

Jane that's amazing.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane I have lost 15 pounds since I quit Sept 1st. Just not drinking all the calories and the day after calories to feel better has been the largest part. But I have been eating more healthy foods and no soda and just a few sweet treats. I am starting to exercise now so hope I can last the last 20.
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane - Bravo on 31 days and thank you for a most thoughtful post. And, that picture is fantastic. I think you could win a photo contest with that one!

As usual these days, the ups and downs continue. But at least I am dealing AF which feels good.

ML
            Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good job Marylou. Sometimes it's hard. I'm sorry about your hubby. Hope tomorrow is better. Jane what a cutie. Is that your pup?
              No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all: What a great forum...Bravo to all of you.

Well?......Im back at it again...same lies, same denial, same bargaining, same stinky thinking, same rationalization. Im 51 and have relapsed 8 times since Feb 2013. Most of my family and friends have been drinkers and even though some of them will be fine---I have to stop thinking of them and be concerned with me. The good news is every lapse is wayyyyyyyyyyy less time than previous. My two last relapses were 4 days and 7 days...so?...progress!

My triggers?...my diet, ciggies, and my ego. I found out last year I was hypoglycemic and have been in denial over this. When I eat right and take my supplements...I feel fine and can see lovely glimpses of light and get sweet sleeps at around the ten day mark. Hmmmm.....not bad...hmmmm?...connection?

Im on day 2 now......and for me....diet will be key...stable blood sugar.....and kick these damn fags! Gheeze...they are an anchor.

This last year I tasted some great sobriety.....and finally got it.

I drank for all the reasons.....I blame no one.....( I tried to at the beginning--totally non productive). I feel that all of us just had no information in the past and the internet has helped immensely. I cant argue with cold hard facts and evidence...sensible diet and moderate exercise...toss the ciggies....and ditch my ego and develop thankfulness for this site and all the other fine resources out there.

I also agree with one day at a time...yes--a tad uncomfortable but hey!..its only a foggy brain that will repair. Mindfulness and the right supplements can speed healing big time...the thing is to stay on it...stay present and stay with MWO!

Thank you all...I hope to be long term abstinent soon...it makes so much common sense.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I don't post often as I certainly haven't "got it right" yet, but I know some others here have watched the film "Flight" - I watched it earlier today as I am off work with 2 sprained ankles, after a (shockingly sober!!) fall. Oh my god, I thought it was so powerful. The scene where he finally swipes the vodka miniature made me sob, I must admit.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sigh...
                    Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                    Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Newbies Nest

Do you know what happened, Fin, and what you can change?
                      I'm glad you came back quickly :l.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Lead - congrats on day 2. Stay strong and keep going. Have a you considered e-cigarettes or Vaping? Much safer and lots cheaper than cigarettes. Good luck and enjoy the AF freedom.
                        Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey guys, just checking in on day 3, today was better, but yesterday I nearly nearly caved. I was so glad this morning that I didnt, I just took the advice ive read on here and filled myself up with good food and lemonade :-) rollergirl, take care of yourself this weekend, and ill see you here on day 7! Roxy, and everyone else, hope you're doing well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All! Made it to Hot Yoga today - felt great to do something I know helps me tremendously reduce/remove the cravings when I practice daily. I started to have a hard time at lunch in a downtown restaurant with all the temptation around but then my food arrived promptly and was so delicious I enjoyed it and forgot all about the cravings as my blood sugar leveled out and I naturally focused on being grateful for my meal and the quality green tea and the cool anime playing on the restaurant tv...I felt like a kid again!

Just a reminder - get SOME exercise in today - even a walk around the house! Yay Endorphins!

Also, I heard this from the book "Sober Kitchen" by Chef Liz Scott - always use H.A.L.T. to avoid bad cravings. It stands for: Never let yourself get: Hungry - Angry - Lonely - Tired. Of course each of these will happen often but being prepared to solve them, happily and AF has been really helpful. When I don't prepare to solve these it is a tough rock of the boat but I am learning - Self Care Rocks!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane, I wrote you a post earlier but lost it and just now getting back to write!
                              Yes, that first 6 weeks I actually GAINED 3 pounds. I just sick over this, too...I mean I was already giving up booze, but giving up food, too, was just too much! But gradually, I lost those 3 pounds and 13 more....Don't tell NoSugar, but I still need to work on my junk food intake. I joined her NoSugar revolution for 5 days and caved in...haven't gotten back up yet. I do try to walk every week day, but nothing special...my weight just sort of dropped and has stayed down. I did reign in the M&M habit about that first month...it was getting out of hand! I craved potato chips for some reason and there's nothing with more bad calories than that. So once I got past 6 weeks it began to get back to normal and then I steadily dropped more during that first year. When I did eat something, I tried to be mindful of it and appreciate it...that helped too. (especially if it was a cookie!)

Welcome Lead! Good to see you, Stupot, Minderaser and Fin!! ' Sigh' is right...there are just no words to express what this dam disease does to us. But the good news is that you are here, and we will get you on your AF way! It is a bitch for about 13 days...but after that, it is so much easier. Just look at all the 30 day speeches in the Tool Box! 30 little days can make such a difference. Let us begin! So good to see you!

Hope everyone has an easy evening. Hugs, Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdy - back as ordered ma'am

Lav - great minds

NS - didn't recognize your avatar, must have been away too long. totally identify with the time-wasting. I think I've got more Useful Stuff done in the last two days than in the last two months. mostly trivial stuff that I've been putting off, & off, & off, but that's been playing in my mind all the time ... now lifted

J27 - great pic with the weather as it is here, I'd be happy with just the sky, the dolphins would be a bonus

lead366 - day2 here too

Fin - what's up fella?

Comment

Working...
                                X