Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello all! This is my first post. I've been reading the forums over the last week and decided to join. I KNOW I have an alcohol addiction problem, but not entirely sure I'm an 'alcoholic'. I drink everyday, but I rarely get drunk. However, in the last 45 days or so I noticed I get the 'shakes'. I'm uncertain if this is from alcohol, psychological (I have teeth problems which has me hugely nervous), or meds prescribed. I also have Crohn's. Anyway, and regardless of other things, I know I drink too much. I am here to get support and hopefully advice on how I can cut down? I've read thru most of the threads here including 'how to get started' but I'm reluctant to do meds with the meds I already have to take, and I really don't want to tell my gastro Dr. I'd rather handle this on my own. Thanks in advance if u respond.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tree, a big smile and a firm No thank you usually work for me - but after what they'd done to your mum I'm not sure I'd be up to that much civility. Discussing religion and politics with doorstoppers are big no-nos to me - for my sake and theirs!
      14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

welcome sarah

if you think you have a problem, you probably do.

many people here use the drug regimen, some see their doctors, others dont. there is no one size fits all with this thing.

which way you choose initally depends on how much you drink and for how long.

Comment

Newbies Nest

good MAE Nesters!
          Just a quickie from me today-- I haven't even had a chance to read back yet!!
          I have 2 days alone with my youngest daughter so we are making the most of it with memory and uno, films, going for lunch and the playground! Am thinking of you all and wish you a wonderful AF Friday--

Comment

Newbies Nest

Gosh, started drinking experimentally when I was 16 yrs or so. Heavier drinking when I was 21+. I'm 42 now. I've been drinking daily I'd say for 10 years or more.

Comment

Newbies Nest

ok sarah. how much? you said you dont get drunk.

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: Sarah. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, then you do have one - no matter what you call it. I can't give you any advice on cutting down: I set a quit date (although I really doubted that I would make it past the first day) and that was it. The first few days were difficult but not unbearably so, and I slept quite a lot. BUT: quitting was the best thing I have ever done in my entire life.

So, find yourself perch, settle in, read as much as you can, and ask for help when you need it - or just chat. We're a friendly lot here!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I drink about 5 light beers and 3-4 glasses of wine a night over a 9-10 hr span...which is horrible. My parents would kill me lol.

Comment

Newbies Nest

DreamThinkDo;1623873 wrote: :welcome: Sarah. If you think you have a problem with alcohol, then you do have one - no matter what you call it. I can't give you any advice on cutting down: I set a quit date (although I really doubted that I would make it past the first day) and that was it. The first few days were difficult but not unbearably so, and I slept quite a lot. BUT: quitting was the best thing I have ever done in my entire life.

So, find yourself perch, settle in, read as much as you can, and ask for help when you need it - or just chat. We're a friendly lot here!
                    thank you! I really want to be where you are

Comment

Newbies Nest

what dream said.

its do able, hard initially but do able. you need to WANT to, and it sounds like you do.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I so do! But are the meds safe? or should I just do AA or something?

Comment

Newbies Nest

btw- I'm aware of herbs like kudzu...but not aware of the other stuff

Comment

Newbies Nest

i dont know about the meds, but as you say you are on other meds, you would need to really look into it. have a look at the med thread and ask there maybe.

AA is a personal choice.

but definately keep close to this forum, even if you dont post. try to post though, sometimes posts get missed, youre not being ignored, the traffic can sometimes be hectic!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah42;1623875 wrote: My parents would kill me lol.
                              Thought we had a teenager here, then went back to the previous page.

I didn't take anything, but some people swear by kudzu and L Glut.

You can get there, Sarah - all of us started on Day 1. Follow that up with Day 2. Then Day 3... rinse, repeat. what really worked for me was getting my mind in the right place: not just thinking about trying to give up the booze, but wanting to do it, and being determined to do it - despite my doubts whether I'd be able to or not.

Al is stubborn - you just have to be more stubborn.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters

Well things are slowly settling down but have been reading while i am stressing about my dog. She has pancreatitis so is still in hospital but getting better by the day so hopefully she will be home this weekend if all goes well.

Hello Sarah and welcome. Everyone is different in their approach to stopping drinking. If you are on here then you have a problem. Normal drinkers do not come on MWO. I am not a normal drinker, i am an alcoholic or whatever name you want to give it. I took no meds and gave up cold turkey. To me there is no such word as moderation or cutting down, it is either all or nothing. Tried moderating after 40 days af and was right back to drinking 7 days a week. That worked a treat NOT.

Listen to the "mothers" of the nest they have some wonderful advice and have gotten me to day 70 (in 3 hours for me) with their words of wisdom and kind advice. I say "kind" now but thought they talked crap at first but that is not how they got to 3+ years being sober. Tell me i cant moderate "i'll show you", oh they were right, if i avoid not going out in the early days then that will help, "i'll show you", oh i drank. The list could go on and on, i was like a child rebelling, i could not accept that i can never drink al again. Now i know i cannot and that takes a lot of the battle away.

With the help on MWO and grit and determination you will succeed. There is a lot of success on here atm so join in, there is always room for one more.

Rox, your a gem!
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X