Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

roxane;1623890 wrote: i dont know about the meds, but as you say you are on other meds, you would need to really look into it. have a look at the med thread and ask there maybe.

AA is a personal choice.

but definately keep close to this forum, even if you dont post. try to post though, sometimes posts get missed, youre not being ignored, the traffic can sometimes be hectic!
    thank u roxane! You've already made me feel at home and even in these late hours. THANK YOU! I will peruse the med forums, but any other advice on me cutting this out would be great. I'm an INFJ on the Myer's Brigg scale, and that prolly doesn't mean anything to anybody but me, but it basically means I'm an alien. LOL. It just means for my personality....comfort and support, along with logic and a little bit of faith I can do this. How did u stop or did u?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday everybody welcome all the new nesters. Sarah good luck on your mission being af is like being let out of a cage, so stick with it day by day and follow all the good advice given here, over time not drinking becomes just as much a habit as drinking is and your health and apperance will improve. Meds are a personal choice I have taken them in the past but I was concerned like you about the interaction with other meds I am on so I don't take them now, I was also concerned that if in some point in the future if I could not source the meds or they reacted badly with any new meds from the doctors that I would be back at stage one with my al problem, that for me was to scary . But ad Dream says some people swear by them so find what works for you and have self belief that you can do this as your mind is the most powerful drug there is !!.
      AF Since 2nd December 2013

Being af is not your punishment ! its your salvation !!:goodjob:

Diet Start

25th Feb 2014 10st 6lbs 3rd March 10st 1.5lbs

Comment

Newbies Nest

Available our post crossed way to go you 70 days in 3 hours bloody amazing !!!! so pleased and proud of you ( and me and Pav one day behind you). When you first come on here and start posting on the roll call your early days seem so insignificant to the bigger numbers and you long for your number to be higher s much as you long for a drink. But Av you have done it stuck with it and the days are in the big figures now !!!!!!! So proud of you and all of us I could burst what a great start for me to a wet and windy British winter Friday. It may be raining outside but there is sunshine in my heart and a big cheesy sober grin on my face !!!!!!

Diet Start

Comment

Newbies Nest

i am at the beginning of stop sarah. day 2 (again) for me.

as poppy says, its also a habit. like with smoking, when you stop, you dont know what to do with your hands. you want something in your mouth. thats not the addiction, its the habit.
          if you do something repeaditly (sp) for long enough, bingo, habit.
          distraction is key to this (for me) when i get that feeling. cravings are different altogether, they are the addiction. knowledge is key to that (for me), to know what these feelings are and why im having them.
          waffle waffle waffle :H

Comment

Newbies Nest

poppy62;1623917 wrote: It may be raining outside but there is sunshine in my heart and a big cheesy sober grin on my face !!!!!!
            :woot::woot::woot:
            14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Roxane i hear you so much i have taken up knitting to occupy my hands and mind. Nothing complicated, I have just finished a scarf that would probably be long enough to wrap around the nest and keep us all nice and warm. Starting another one for my son today, I also play a lot of online scrabble keeps my mind occupied, have not quite mastered knitting while playing scrabble working on that one !! xx

Diet Start

Comment

Newbies Nest

use your feet?

Comment

Newbies Nest

no too cold to take my thermal sock off Rox !!!

Diet Start

Comment

Newbies Nest

you must play quickly. i would have loads of time to knit while staring blankly at the tiles.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Agreed guys - you need to fill in the AL void with something. Whether it be a positive addiction like exercise or just a completely different direction in life.

We drink for a reason. Don't concentrate on the problem, but concentrate on a new reality. One without AL.

It's amazing how sneaky addiction is. Last night I had this enlightened feeling, of not needing AL at all and drink/drugs not being part of my social life.

And then this morning a song came on at work that a couple of DJ's made. Those DJ's were the ones who I would go to see most weekends and get absolutely wrecked in the process. The brain noticed this and bought back all the feelings of wanting to get wasted.

However, how I am feeling now trumps all that and I am not willing to let 6-8 hours of partying ruin a month of progress. If this is how I feel after a month, how will I feel after 3? A substance will not rule over me. I know how it all starts for me, and that is with 1 drink. Whether that one drink is just one drink that night or not. It will lead to me returning to the ill-health lifestyle that I was living.

You only realise how unhealthy you were when you start to get your health back. AL, stimulant use and a lack of exercise/nutrition had me as literally a shell of a person. I was not nourishing the soul.

This has all been replaced with me knowing the power is in ME to do anything. I cannot rely on the environment or other people to dictate my circumstances. I have the power to be what I want. And AL use takes that power away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Londoner;1623948 wrote:

It's amazing how sneaky addiction is. Last night I had this enlightened feeling, of not needing AL at all and drink/drugs not being part of my social life.

And then this morning a song came on at work that a couple of DJ's made. Those DJ's were the ones who I would go to see most weekends and get absolutely wrecked in the process. The brain noticed this and bought back all the feelings of wanting to get wasted.
                        yes london. association. just like smells can be evocative of good or bad memories. hhmm, sweaty horse......

on that note.....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well said Londoner and so glad you are in the place you are right now high five mate !!! and you are lucky you have come to this conclusion at a young age not wasted 35 years like me getting there.

I so agree tht about the health aspect and I know I keep posting how much better I feel and look (and in your 50's that counts even more as the life you have lived starts showing in your health and apperence even more). I was over the moon yesterday when a new collegue thought I was 8 years younger than I was !!!! that's not happened for many a day !!

And you can do anything you are a young man with the whole of your sober future ahead of you take that power and use it however you want to get the sober life you what, deserve and have worked so hard for !!!! feel very proud of you like you was one of my lads !!! nearly shedding a tear here !! guard your sober power with your life !!!

Diet Start

Comment

Newbies Nest

I play online Rox and I cheat and use a scrabble finder to find words its addictive and absorbing just what you need when trying to focus away from al.

Diet Start

Comment

Newbies Nest

roxane;1623920 wrote: i am at the beginning of stop sarah. day 2 (again) for me.

as poppy says, its also a habit. like with smoking, when you stop, you dont know what to do with your hands. you want something in your mouth. thats not the addiction, its the habit.
                              if you do something repeaditly (sp) for long enough, bingo, habit.
                              distraction is key to this (for me) when i get that feeling. cravings are different altogether, they are the addiction. knowledge is key to that (for me), to know what these feelings are and why im having them.
                              waffle waffle waffle :H
                              I smoke too so makes it exceptionally hard. 2 days is better than 0. I'd like to quit both but doing both at the same time is gonna be hard. Guess I need to get my big girl panties on and just try.

Comment

Newbies Nest

And Londoner just seen your target date !!!! you are certainly not going to be any April fool this year I know you can and will reach your target !!

Diet Start

Comment

Working...
                                X