Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1630501 wrote: Hey Nesters!

Just got back from visiting my step daughter (who lost her husband Jan 2). She is slowly but surely sorting thru things and coming to terms. She still cries every day and can't bear to clear his clothes out. They were married for 11 years and dated 3 years before that. She made mention that it had been 52 days since he died. That stuck me....she is counting days, too. She is letting go of a relationship, just like we are.
    Hope everyone has an easy evening....Byrdie
    Byrdie what a great post and so sorry to hear about your step daughter. It is indeed hard to let go of your loved ones. I wish her all the best.

You are very right. I have been reading quite a few posts since last few days and it amazes me that this legal drug is still "legal" and now they are thinking of introducing marijuana in 'controlled' way. We all suffer with same pain. Going thru the same issues with Al.

For me I am on day 3 can't sleep due to withdrawal. My mind is in a hyper active stage. Today went to a marriage cocktail. But didn't drink. Fell good.have been reading allan ' easy way to control alcohol. Any other books you recommend.
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Speaking of wine.... Hubby just came home with three bottles. Ugh.

I don't want it, but I'm afraid he's going to hand me a glass.

I am going to stay upstairs and clean my room.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening, all:

Welcome, Crocketta - I hope you've read around the site - you'll find good info here, especially in the tool box. You can also start with Byrdie's post above - she is always connecting the dots for us here.

Gracie - can you tell him emphatically to keep the s&!t away from you? Tell him what you're going through? Being honest with my husband has been very amazing for me - he has been extremely supportive (if a little lug-headed at times). Maybe yours can help?

Lead - nice post. The glamour is all is ALL mind games. Not very glamourous to trip to bed in and forget what happened the night before. I could go on - have you read the "You know you're an alcoholic when..." thread? Not a lot of glamour there.

Bri - glad you made it through the night, and way to go on Day 7.

Honeysoup - you obviously stopped TTFP. Were the side effects too hard? Any new ideas for a plan? I'm glad you came back. See Lead's post re: wine and taste.

So sorry about your doggie, Jane. Growing up I had two dogs who spent every day for 12 plus years together. Once the first one died, the little one left had a hard time herself (as did my mom).

Jim - HR is the least favorite part of my job - good on you making it through all that stress SOBER.

Byrdie - You really ALWAYS have the right thing to say. I did stay strong, I was the DD, and I felt great today (especially after the massage I treated myself with - saving all this money I felt like I could afford it).

Everyone else, I hope you all had great weekends. MWO has been a little slow lately and for me (someone who gets a lot from reading here), it has been a little more challenging. There are always old posts to read if you need - the information isn't any less valuable.

Happy Feb. 23.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

gracie, practice saying 'No Thanks' like you really mean it - I'm not kidding!!!!

Rahul, read everything you can & just don't drink

Byrdie, that's very sad about your step daughter. Does she have children or close friends?
          It's so hard to lose someone so suddenly like that.

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
          Gearing up for the return of cold weather this week after a decent weekend near 60 degrees. Well, at least a lot of the snow melted

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

OOPS!
            Forgot to say hello & welcome to Crocketta! Glad you decided to join us
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome Crockettaa!!! This is great place.
              I have not posted much in the nest, but I do post on a daily roll call. I am doing fine, really enjoying being independent from this AL slavery and feel healthy. This Saturday I gad a new co-worker with his wife for a dinner. They just moved here from PA and I thought they can use some company. It was funny - when we were talking about the details, he kept asking what to bring and was offering wine, and I said - no, we don't drink. He kept offering it repeatedly, and finally we established that they just need to bring what they want to drink. So they came, I served some appetizers - and while we were cooking steaks on the grill - we talked and they were drinking. The wife consumed a bottle of wine right in front of me, which was ok with me. I just saw her changing in front of me - getting slurry, sloppy in movements, and just holding to her glass like it was a pacifier. They needed no snacks lol. So interesting to observe. I was glad to stick with my water
              AF since 10/20/2013
              Smoke free since 09/24/2007
              Meat free since 09/20/2008
              ---------------------------------------
              With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati, my husband has seen me quit and start too many times. I don't even tell him when I quit anymore. He doesn't take it seriously and it only makes it discouraging for me.

I went downstairs at dinnertime and made tea right away, so he knew I wasn't drinking anything.

Welcome Crockettaa!

Good night everyone.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesters,

Just a quick post to check in - having a hard time sleeping so I just mad a cup of chamomile.

Byrdie, my heart goes out to you and your family. Your posts, as always, touched me deeply.

Lead - thank you for the cab description. The more I accept that I was poisoning myself, the more I imagine how disgusting that wine would taste. I briefly thought about trying non- al wine but figured if the real stuff tastes like s*#! then I can only imagine how awful the faux must be! Instead, I have a cup of really good decaf (I like Pete's - open to suggestions) or water.

Pav - I'm usually around lurking if not posting. My internet has had the hick-ups lately. I love your posts, you've been a bit help to me, thank you. But I have notices it's been more quiet than usual and will try to chirp in more often.

My weekend with the folks got postponed until tomorrow. Dad's 92nd birthday. He wants to go to his favorite oyster bar. Ugh. I've already decided on cranberry and soda. I'm looking forward to the day when my drink order won't be so pre-occupying!

Have a wonderful E/M. Welcome to all the newcomers and congratulations to all who completed day one today.
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

It's drizzling in my part of the Nest - and I'm not complaining at all, and neither is my garden!

Coffee? You have a choice of mugs today, seeing that it's Monday.

Gracie, if you'd been a "serial quitter" I can, to an extent, understand your husband's behaviour; use your chamomile tea and whatever other weapons available to you that this time things are really different. But, some sensitivity would have been in order. (Men!)

Myluck, I could see myself in your guest, and it's not a pretty picture. I'm so glad that all behind us!

Pav, it's always so nice to see the Lastnightlanders in "my" morning. Happy Muesday! I love reading old posts - the wisdom in them never goes stale, and there's always an interesting perspective on things. I'm not sure if other people do the same, but I've copied a gazillion posts into a Word document for times when the site is down or I can't access the internet for whatever reason. It's reassuring to know that I always have a lifeline of sorts.

Byrdie, much hugs to your stepdaughter.

Honey, yes, you can do it - are you going to make today Day 1? I Really hope so. Would you like some butt velcro?

Brise - well done over the weekend!

I've not mentioned everybody, sorry for that, but I do think of all of you.

Have a wonderful AF Monday, Nesters!
                    14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

gracieb;1630608 wrote: Pavati, my husband has seen me quit and start too many times. I don't even tell him when I quit anymore. He doesn't take it seriously and it only makes it discouraging for me.

I went downstairs at dinnertime and made tea right away, so he knew I wasn't drinking anything.

Welcome Crockettaa!

Good night everyone.
                      Good job Gracie!!!!

You know what to do. Im really liking being sober. People who drink just dont have the education or info we have. Im confident you will stay this way. I plan to as well.

Happy days are here....NOW!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nest. Just checking in. It's a beautiful Monday morning. The weekend in Switzerland went well. It was amazing to ski without a hangover. I found myself pushing even harder than I ever thought I could. My whole body is sore today and it feels wonderful. That's one thing I'm looking forward to... getting away from AL and working on athletics.

I have not had a time to read much yet today but I will check in later today. I have to go to my therapist this afternoon and I'm not looking forward to it. Right now I'm taking it easy and watching the movie "Country Strong". It's amazing how she is drinking "at" her problems in the movie. We all have to keep in mind what a horrible idea this is.

Much love and strength to you all today... I'll be back later.
                        Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone.This looks like a good thread to say hi. I found this site in the last week and it looks to be a great place to share the problems.

I would really like to end the control that alcohol has in my life. I've managed to quit for 2 weeks at a time on several occasions in the last 6 months, to only find I'm not that commited and go back to it.

There's a site here in Australia called "hello Sunday morning" that challenges people to give alcohol a break for 3 months or more.

So that's how I plan to start. If I can quit 2 weeks, I can do 3 months and build upon that. I just remember how nice it was to wake up feeling great.I love running, and have always wanted to run a full marathon. I know if I quit drinking, I'll get there.

I'll keep reading and hopefully become more inspired. Thanks for listening!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters

Just a hello to say still going strong, bit wobbly but strong.

Mein, glad to hear you had a great weekend skiing and it was a sober one. Why not looking forward to therapist? Can you tell me who is in the movie you mentioned? I am always after a good movie to watch and remember now.

Hi petrel and welcome. I'm an Aussie too, the country of al but then again being on MWO every country is a country of drinkers! My advice is to take one day at a time. To me three months seemed like a lifetime away when i first gave up drinking but now it is getting closer everyday. On the other hand it is great to be positive and determined, that is a great step in being af. How much were you drinking?

Keep reading and posting and settle in. Its a great place to be.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks available. Yes, Australia has a huge drinking to excess culture. Have you read "High sobriety" by Jill Stark. She's a newspaper Jouralist with The Age in Melbourne. It's about her 12 month break from booze. I found it very inspirational.

:thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes i read an article that she wrote and how she was the life of the party and was only giving up for so long and enjoyed it so much she stopped. I'm enjoying being af, damn i feel so much better for not drinking and here is my AA. I need to check in daily to make myself accountable. Where are you from Petrel?
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X