Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I'm from Queensland, in that city famous for making rum, promoted by a 7 foot tall polar beer who likes rugby union!!

And you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh yep i know the one, my mother lives at Bagara. Have to love the way we promote drinking, really helps with the binge drinking culture here.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yes, I live at Bargara as well. And I work in town.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning nesters,

Hello & welcome Petrel!
          Glad Ava found you already

Well, it's cold but sunny here in these parts this morning. Unfortunately there may be more snow on the way later this week, just what we don't need. Spring can't get here soon enough!!!
          Being outside, working in my garden with a clear head has been just one of my favorite AF past times!!!!!

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Monday!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie that post made me cry. I identify.
            petrel welcome.
            Gracie glad you made tea. I know how hard it can be when no one believes you, but believe in yourself long enough and it becomes obvious.
            Lead I liked that post. Did I ever truly enjoy the taste of alcohol or was it just my alkie brain convincing me?
            Jim glad to see you. Glad you are feeling strong.
            Mein a good af vacation is wonderful. And it helps to strengthen your resolve. Having fun af is so important. We get sober to enjoy life again. To me that is the key to staying sober. Making life enjoyable again.
            I ask my people what their gratitude for the day is. Mine Today is being able to help others along this journey.
            Hello Jane. Have a good day.
            Good to see you Myluck and Gardener.
            No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you everyone for your welcomes! I wasn't able to check back until this morning so I think I am finally in the right place.

Drank more wine again last night but not as much as usual. I think... hate that feeling of having to check the cabinets in the morning...how much of that second bottle did I drink? And checking the phone to see if I sent any stupid texts to people that i regret the next day.
              Every day I have resolve until that time right around 4 or 5 pm...I am going to try to come into the forum at that time for some encouragement. So envious of you gals/guys who have been AF for a few days...weeks...months. I wish I can be there some day! I don't think I'm ever going to be able to be a moderate drinker again and that is hard to admit. Thanks again for welcoming me!
              :new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
                Available, how much is that doggie in the window, arf! arf! What a cute avatar! Do you know how much it messes with our minds when people change avatars? Bahaha...

Welcome Petrelhead! You have landed in a great spot if you are serious about getting your AF wings. It is amazing that we all live in a culture where drinking is not only accepted, but WE as nondrinkers are nearly ostracized! When I came in 4 years ago, I thought 'How can I stop? I live in a beach town? Our welcome sign has a DRINK on it!" Then I see folks like Little Beagle who lives in New Orleans...nuf said about that...then the aussies with their drinks...the Irish with theirs and so it goes, it's just everywhere and that's all there is to it. The good news is that it's do-able and you've got proof right here! It's a choice as you what you drink....and I choose NOT to consume AL. I honestly think this thing is coming full circle, too. With the headlines reading about someone overdosing and their battles with drugs and AL I believe that us non drinkers are becoming the cool ones. Being the nondrinker now doesn't get me looks of disdain it gets me looks of jealousy....'how does she do that?' I know many of my friends 'need to cut down' but the truth is that there's just no cutting down....it has to be stopped completely. The person you mentioned who stopped for 12 months...I'm just reading between the lines here, but if she started back after that, around here we call that a relapse! Phillip Seymore Hoffman had quit for drinking for 23 years and once he started back he picked up where he left off. Same with Robin Williams, he quit for 20 years, had one airline bottle of whiskey and BAM. You only get one brain, and it knows where you've been! There is NO amount of time that will rewire addiction...so the easiest and quickest way to do this is to get quit and STAY quit! Anything else just prolongs the agony! One drink isn't going to take off any rough edges, it's going to create more. One drink isn't all you need, the NEXT one is what you are worried about. Cut off it's life source! Starve this things and you will be able to live with it! We are so glad you found us! Stick close, post whatever you are thinking and we'll be right here to help!

Crockettaa, great to see you this morning. Make this your Day 1. I wished and hoped for a long time that I would get sober, but hope isn't a strategy...I had to make a plan as to how I was going to do this... Job one is getting ALL THE AL out of the house. If your spouse drinks, ask them to get it out of your space. Really, if drinking isn't a problem for them, they won't mind. Make today your day 1, it's never going to be any easier to quit than right now. There will always be a wedding or a birthday or mardi gras or a day with a y in it. Next week this time, we'll be mooning you! (a prize for 7 days!!)

Brisius. here is YOUR moon!
                :moon:
                The worst is behind you!! Keep up this AF streak and you'll never be sorry! We're so glad you're here!!! Well done!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Monday! Make the most of today!! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                  Off to the gym for some de-stress and me time. Love dh dearly but this 24X7 is a bit much at times. He is doing the prep stuff for colonoscopy tomorrow so he wont be in a very good mood anyway. yuck
                  I will hit Costco on the way home...stopped there yesterday and it was a zoo so decided I didnt need anything that bad.
                  crockettaa I tried to mod so many times and failed that just not drinking is so much easier...no thinking or obsessing.....It is doable just stick around here and read and post...that is how I did it...and u can too!!
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

crockettaa;1630723 wrote: T
                    Every day I have resolve until that time right around 4 or 5 pm...I am going to try to come into the forum at that time for some encouragement.
                    Hi, Crockettaa

This is not at all odd - in fact, I don't know if anyone who has tried to quit drinking hasn't had this experience. The problem is that your morning brain (the rational, good decision-making one who knows you need to quit drinking and wants it more than almost anything) isn't going to be in charge later today (when the addicted, reward-seeking primal brain is calling the shots). So... while the real you is in charge right now, you've got to make an airtight plan for later today. It needs to be simple and specific so that you can put it in place even though that addicted voice is whispering (or screaming!) in your ear.

The toolbox is full of ideas. I spent that tough time each day on MWO - reading and posting and reading and posting. It might seem weird to spend hours here but it was much less time than spent acquiring, consuming, and recovering from drinking.

Maybe you could post your plan here and get feedback -- this is a group that will see the holes that AL can sneak through!

All the best, NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Byrdlady, no sugar, Dottie & Jane. I went to the gym & came back & logged on & was surprised to see 4 responses! So now I'm teary eyed haha! I definitely want to get mooned in a week!

I picked up some alcohol free wine at the store over the weekend & put it in the fridge. Last summer I went 2 weeks AF & that stuff really helped me! To the point where if I took a sip of husbands wine, I found I didn't like the taste of it. Also poured out what was left of wine I didn't drink last night. So all that's left is husband's nasty dark beer out in garage garage fridge.

I can't believe how kind you all are to come back & help newcomers after you've already conquered this! I am grateful & amazed.
                      :new:

Comment

Newbies Nest

crockettaa;1630723 wrote: Thank you everyone for your welcomes! I wasn't able to check back until this morning so I think I am finally in the right place.

Drank more wine again last night but not as much as usual. I think... hate that feeling of having to check the cabinets in the morning...how much of that second bottle did I drink? And checking the phone to see if I sent any stupid texts to people that i regret the next day.
                        Every day I have resolve until that time right around 4 or 5 pm...I am going to try to come into the forum at that time for some encouragement. So envious of you gals/guys who have been AF for a few days...weeks...months. I wish I can be there some day! I don't think I'm ever going to be able to be a moderate drinker again and that is hard to admit. Thanks again for welcoming me!
                        Hey Crock----Understood completely...that first stage is a tough one----FINALLY accepting that moderation is not an option...that took me months to accept. Maybe its a grieving process---saying goodbye to an "old friend...alcohol"....that substance that makes you feel good. But?....Its a lie Crock...and everyone here---EVERYONE!...will attest that its a lie!

Once you get comfy with the notion that AF is truly better.....you will build up some resolve. Quitting can sound scary...but its only a few days of being uncomfortable...then you get a clearer head. You say that you are envious?..Dont get envious ....GET EVEN...Join us...read lots...post whatever---whenever and see how well we are doing. Its actually fun.

I love my friends here at MWO

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Nest, I'm here for my evening check in. Horrible cravings this evening so I just ate two microwave burgers. Blah! I'm feeling sick and full now but I'm sober. So just eat if you get a craving! I'm not going to beat myself up about it and look forward to healthy food for breakfast tomorrow.
                          Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Myluck, that was interesting about you watching the lady at your dinner party getting drunk in front of you. I probably could have been that woman. So glad i am not doing that now.

Byrdie, sad about your step daughter. It was interesting keeping track of days since 'a relationship' is over. I guess that is what it is 'our relationship' with AL.

I am going to a girls get together this weekend and I feel myself waffling about drinking. I don't know why but anyway, reading today has helped to get some resolve back. I will really work on it this week so i don't drink on Saturday.

I can always eat. Thanks Mein. That is a good idea.
                            Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                            "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all! This is my first post. I had a terrible scare yesterday. I thought I had damaged my body so badly with drinking that my spleen ruptured itself. I panicked when I saw the bruises on my back. A doctor friend who doesn't know of my problem but does know I take sleeping pills at night told me I probably whacked myself on the bathroom door or something. So, no more panic. But it was enough for me to pull out my secret vodka and confess to my wonderful husband. I've decided to begin my taper today. I drink 10-12 units of vodka throughout the day. I remain functional, but being a housewife has allowed me to get away with it. This is when it's do or die for me. I'm at home with no credit cards and enough cash to walk to 7-11 and buy a slurpy if I want.
                              I look forward to gaining a lot of insight, and my health along the way.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane, I totally relate about the phone. I have phone anxiety too. It always seems so surprising, unexpected people calling and having to be "on" on a dime. Actually, I have social anxiety in general and that is my biggest trigger. I plan to tackle that after I get this sufficiently behind me. One giant at a time!

We have a sump pump too and without it our basement would flood.

My 13 yr old broke the left click on my mouse. Grrr.... I am debating going to buy a new mouse, but I have soooo much work to do!

Have a good day all!

Comment

Working...
                                X