Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Its evening time and I will be lying if I say I am not having craving. But I am not crushing that thought. I am imagining a drink and what comes ofter. I want to genuienly convince myself I dont need one. I m not geting week just want to be more gratefull genueinly by not having one.

I might be travelling to Belarus in March. Gosh they dont dont speak english there ... but preparing myself for a sover trip and life ahead....

On this Day 5 life seems great. Morning fresh ...

Wish you all a sober day ahead.
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul I always think of the consequences of having that drink. And the sense of strength when I don't.
      No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am approaching my 2 month AF date(next week). First time in at least 30 years. It has not been easy but I'm feeling pretty strong... the cravings do not go away but I'm learning to deal with them and trying to figure out what makes me want a glass of wine and wondering what a whole life without would be like. Life is extremely stressful and depressing which makes it hard, but it's worth it. I feel like this is the ONLY way for me to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in.
        MyWayOut is a tremendous help.
        Apologies for not posting more and keep up the good AF work everybody! Attached files [img]/converted_files/2279491=7729-attachment.jpg[/img]
        Go as far as you can see.
        When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1631565 wrote: I want to genuienly convince myself I dont need one.
          Rahul, You can be sure that you do not need that drink... surf the urge and you will come out stronger each time...
          Go as far as you can see.
          When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wayin, well done, and please check in on the day (if not before) so that we can have a party. The cravings do fade away, really (although they sometimes pop out at the most unlikely times). The longer you're AF, the better you are at avoiding cravings and at handling them. Good on you for not having that glass (or bottle) to deal with stress and depression! And I loved the poem! Lav and the frozen feet people will really appreciate it!
            14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
              Great to see the upside down folks (Aussies) having good conversation while the upper part of the nest sleeps! ALL of you are doing so well! Look at your leader, Available!! I'm so stinking proud of you!! 87 days....isn't that amazing? In those first few days we just HOPE we can get to 7, 30, 45....but NOW you are counting ahead! THAT is a good sign! I'm glad you are getting your acceptance speech ready. It is so good to see the REAL personalities emerge from ALK....I am struck by how much AL depresses (yes, DEPRESSES) our true personalities. Ava, DreamThinkDo, Jane, your sense of humor is so keen now! A real joy to see that transformation. Believe it or not, K9 and I used to be very serious all the time! Bah. It's true. Once you peel off the layers of CRAP that AL builds up around us, the real you is going to emerge and I've never seen anyone yet who doesn't love the change! The authentic YOU is wonderful (as it turns out!).

Fridays were tough for me, too. I had to stop thinking of ALCOHOL as a REWARD. It's classic behavioral psychology! Pavlov's Doggish! Reward yourself in other ways! Little Beagle treated herself to a Dairy Queen treat! I set myself to doing something I loved, like baking or knitting, or buying a new plant for the garden. Reward yourself in other ways and you will be able to break the Friday night bender!

Rahul....back when I was about 2 weeks sober, my quit buddy said something that became my mantra. She was going shopping with some friends that weekend (something they did regularly) and afterwards, they always stopped off for a wine before going home. She said that she would just have to say 'No Thanks' to that....she went on to say..."besides, what's ONE glass of wine going to do for me anyway?" How true is THAT!!! Whenever I heard the voices telling me how good ONE glass would be, I jerked myself back to reality saying that I can't remember the last time I had ONE glass! One glass would do absolutely NOTHING for me but turn on the crave wave. The alcohol express is back in business! It's not the last glass that kills us, it's the first one. Be strong and fight this as if your life depended on it. It does. We are all pulling for you!!

Stupot, 7 days AF is reason to celebrate! You've cracked the first big milestone! Here is your Full Moon!
              :moon:
              This is for conquering every single day the week can throw at you! The worst is BEHIND you!!! Well done!

Hope everyone has a happy hump day!! Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

The upside down nesters, haha! Love it! ensures the nest is never empty! Good morning here from the western US. Great job to everyone who is meeting their goals. A huge congrats and hug from me! And Rahul, you seem to bee hanging pretty tough, I'm sure you'll do fine on that trip.
                I did day 2 of my taper successfully yesterday, same thing--7.5 units. A little anxious in the afternoon, but I am an edgy rider normally. A little bit better sleep last night as the mystery bruises on my left back and side are starting to heal up. That's the side I like to sleep on. Small victories.
                A big job for me today, I need to call my parents and postpone a previously planned trip back east to visit. They're both fairly heavy drinkers. I'll just BS it until I'm strong enough to put my real reason out there.
                I hope you all have good strong days today

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'll be honest with you Nesters - I wandered out of my office at lunchtime, went to get some keys cut, ended up having a horrible "old-man-who-has-smoked-60-fags-a-day" coughing attack so had to have a little sit down on a bench. Sadly, having given birth 6 years ago, my coughing also leads to "other stuff"!?! So there I was, feeling disgusting, hot and bothered, and right outside a bar. How tempted do you think I was?! And I can honestly say that the only reason I did not go in and order wine was the fact that I KNOW their toilets are broken! Whatever, disaster avoided for another day. But it was close.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nest, a bit of a late check in for me today. I've just been feeling "blah" all day for some reason.

I'm happy to report that I made it through the concert sober. It's very sad to say that it is a strange feeling to actually remember an entire concert. Usually I would drink beers before, beers during, beers after... and the music would become a haze.

Today has been difficult for some reason. I had plans to go to the gym and run some errands, but I could not trust myself to stay away from the grocery store (WINE!) so I've stayed home in my PJs all day. I've been eating all day as well so now I feel like a beached whale. I'm taking the advice to EAT very seriously this time. I don't ever want to go back to the crazy, sneaky drinker that I was before. I'm looking forward to our planned sugar free/AL free March.

I have to go visit my MIL in the hospital in a few hours. Unfortunately the radiation treatments began too late so the tumors on her spine are too large to gain relief by radiation. The next option would be surgery... or nothing. That will be up to her to decide. It all makes me sick.

Much love and strength to you all today.
                    Would you like you, if you met you?

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                      I just love how this place has so many of us who live all over the world yet still share the same goals...just amazing to me....we are all do different yet so alike...we are ALL doing great!!!
                      It is 12F today and I am going to stay in...laundry is calling my name and I have to look at the taxes and get them sorted out for the gal who acturall does it for us...we meet with her on Friday so I have to get busy...
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Nesties!!

The tripping over dog stories are very familiar to me! Mine love to get in front of me and then "guess" where we are headed. Why don't you just get behind me and find out where we're going??? Oh right, that's not as much fun as tripping me! LOL :H Even sober I fall all over the place.

Congratulations to all of you reaching goals and milestones! In 9 short days, Jane will hit the big 6-0....yes, SIXTY days! I do believe that will earn her quite the Byrdie award

It's official, the nekked rain dance worked! Now....to spread pee pads all over the living room floor...heaven forbid we get our paws wet! awprint:awprint:

Happy Hump Day to all...and keep up the great work! Stay strong, you CAN do this!
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stu, no matter the reason why you didn't go in there: you didn't go in there. And, to be honest, would something like a broken loo have stopped you in the past? Thought so!

Mein, first a German lesson in a cosy cafe, then a sober concert and now a whole day in jammies! Life certainly does not get much better than that. Sorry about the bad news - stay strong and remember there's always a shoulder here to cry on.

Spot on Dottie - the Nest is the best!
                          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Stu, one excuse is as good as another right? In the past we were all good at excuses to drink and now it's time to take that talent and use it for ourselves rather than against. :P

I had a nightmare last night and woke up screaming. This happens from time to time. Ugh. I was so creeped out I slept with my af hypnosis track and a few other positive affirmation tracks on a repeating playlist. But I woke up really late this morning. So, I guess I'm feeling pretty positive with all those positive thought going in my head all night, but I have so much to do! And my room/office/studio is such a mess.....

Hope everyone is well and sober and having a good day. I always feel like the tag along on this board, being on the west coast. Everyone else is probably off, already half through their day!

Comment

Newbies Nest

gracieb;1631651 wrote: I always feel like the tag along on this board, being on the west coast. Everyone else is probably off, already half through their day!
                              I'm here with ya' Gracie! We can complain that it's only 10:30 in the morning.
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ha! True, and you guys got rain? That is fabulous!

Comment

Working...
                                X