Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Petrel,

Sorry for the accident and great to hear he is Ok. But dont just count this reason to remain sober. I myself have been arrested once for DUI almost escaped prison sentence. Did I stop drinking ... no drannk more
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Busy day so far....lunch out, grocery now off to see tax lady....we just discuss things and leave all the files with her that I did mange to organize yesterday, in spite of the NO help from dh......I am woman hear me roar......
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all! Well it is here

Start of day 6, it's Saturday morning, 5.15 am and I feel great. Heading out for a run. It is so fantastic to wake up on Saturday morning, early and feeling great.

Thanks for all of the responses to my son's incident. A very close thing that could have so very much worse. I didn't fully appreciate fully how effective airbags, crumple zones and safety design is in modern vehicles. It's the first thing I'll consider next time I buy a new car.

Jane, no worries, and thanks for your concern. I'm beginning to wonder are there any other guys on this thread ? It know there must be plenty of males in our position, but not as many seek support, I guess. I believe statistics tend to support that.

Byrdlady, so sorry for your loss all those years ago. I can only imagine how it must have changed your life and that of your family, to lose your brother under such terrible circumstances. You are truly wise and have strength of character, to move on from that with such a
        positive attitude.

Cocoflo, stupot, Rahul and everyone else: thanks for the support. Much appreciated.

Let's all move on with our lives of no AL.

Wishing you all a safe and sober weekend.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Whew got it all finished...snowmageddin is heading our way on Sunday/Monday again....when will this end??????????????????
          Maybe I can get something done around here on Monday.
          Sun was out today and it got up to 37..so it was a good day...
          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey Petrelhead , But like in life , us blokes tend to let it flow around us , read when I can , but know your worry I've got 2 young men myself . And thank God they don't drink and drive the way I used to at there age , but its still a worry , glad to hear the young fellas ok .
            BND
            Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
            Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all

Jane its ok to miss al, it was a part of our lives for so long, 20+ years for me, you would not forget a loved one who had died after your amount of af days. Just take it on board but dont let him into your life. I think of al occasionally and put him back into the bottom left hand side of my brain, he has his special spot which i focus on putting him back there. I think of al as someone who has died and i had to go through the grief process of losing that loved one. I actually used to listen to a lot of music drunk and very very loud and repetitively also then i stopped listening to music drunk, it depressed me more than al did. now i listen to music again and even if there is al mentioned in songs it makes me nostalgic but so does listening to phil collins as i was sooo much younger. Keep on here Jane and post away, there is always someone who listens and cares. You are doing so well and you know you dont need or want al in your life. Imagine that day 1 again. Oh god forbid!

Mein look after yourself girl, every feeling is part of the process and getting through it is an accomplishment to be proud of. Keep eating though, an empty stomach does us no favours!

Petrel hope all is ok today, thinking of you and your son.

Byrd, life is so shit sometimes isnt it and although we move on we never forget.

Rahul 7 days good on you and you are sounding strong. Onwards and upwards with no al, its totally doable.

Dot, i still have spare bricks if you would like me to send one! Be strong girl and you get at least 10 years for murder and i for one would miss you around here.
              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks ava he is not nearly as bad as my 2 x's....and if I didn't murder them this one still has a chance...;-)))
                Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Where is that LIKE button Dot.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Happy Friday, Everyone.

Petrel – What a scary situation. I’m so glad you could be there for your son. I had that thought once while drinking when my son was older – what if something happens? What a clear reminder of why staying sober is so important!

Jane – that feeling of the song and the buzz – I know it well. Those times are hard for me, because they are times when alcohol wouldn’t have been a problem at that moment, and the mood would be very good. That is the Pink Cloud effect – I’ll go find the post someone made about that. What I do is play it forward in my mind to all of the BAD ways alcohol made me feel – none of them are worth a moment like that. The key for me is working on finding that feeling without alcohol. It does happen!

Here is the post on the Pink Cloud Effect:

The “pink cloud” is best described as a period of time where the addict or alcoholic experiences a reprieve from the struggles associated with early recovery. These struggles are generally associated with the feelings of depression, anger, resentment, self pity and the realization of where their drug addiction or alcoholism has taken them.

Upon experiencing this phenomenon for the first time, the addict or alcoholic is understandably excited. They begin to believe they now “hold the key” to their recovery. This is where the seed for relapse is planted. They begin to believe more in themselves than in the process they have been following. Without the pain as a daily reminder, they tend to forget about what it took for them to embrace recovery. Denial rears its ugly head and they minimize how devastating their drug addiction and alcoholism really was and that they have a disease of drug addiction and alcoholism that requires attention on a daily basis. Relapse prevention becomes an afterthought as the person becomes defiant and rebellious regarding suggestions contrary to their desires. Without resorting to drugs or alcohol, the individual in recovery is one step away from relapse. Remember, relapse is not an event, it is a process.

Sarah – I don’t know how to look, but somewhere on this site NoSugar posted a thread about “there’s no perfect day 1.” Jump right in – there’s not time like the present and we’re all here for you.

Mein – It is all part of the process, or it has been for me. More specifically – all of the feelings are still there, only now alcohol isn’t around to numb them. That was a big AHA for me – being sober doesn’t mean life is suddenly all glitter and rainbows. Being sober means living life through truth, not through faking it. Snuggle in, eat something healthy and have a good night’s sleep.

Stu – see above. Sorry you don’t feel great today, but this, too, shall pass. Hang tight and stay sober!

Byrdie – Such a sad story about your brother. I often wonder how families recover from that. My son is close to driving age, and that terrifies me!

Way to go, Rahul! A full week, a full moon, and a great attitude.

Go Linda Ronstadt, uh, I mean Dottie. That’s the ticket.

How is it going with you BND?

Ava – I love music, and even music that makes me sad and nostalgic, although I do try not to wallow! True, we lost a friend, but really the ass#$%e friend that was mean to us. Sure, he was nice from time to time, but good riddance, I say!

Dot, Ava – steer clear from jail. I know orange is the new black, and all…

I had a crap day at work, but it is OVER and it is a lovely, rainy, stormy Friday night. I will have some good food, watch my guilty pleasure (Top Chef), read my book and have a good night’s sleep. So weird to see all of you nesters waking up for tomorrow already, it isn’t even dark here.
                    How’s that for a waffle, Ava?

Happy MAE, Nesters (Jane, love that slip!)

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters on this last night of February - thank God it's over :H
                      What a winter we have had, breaking snowfall & cold records, too much!!!

Petrel, the guys come & go on this thread, stick around as long as you like
                      Us girls just seem to talk a lot more - go figure :H

Don't let these winter days & crappy weather get you down kids. Soon enough we'll be out planting gardens & appreciating Spring with clear heads & hearts

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest - stay warm!!

Lav
                      AF since 03/26/09
                      NF since 05/19/09
                      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Petrel and BND you are in good company.
                        Dottie I love that song. You are incredible.
                        Byrdie that experience of losing your brother like that sounds horrific. I am so sorry that you had to go through thst. Thank you for sharing that with us.
                        Rahul Way to GO. You are doing it. Like riding a bike, the first few attempts are wobbly, you finally take off and think you have it down. You have a big crash, skin your knee and right back at it you go. This time Rahul, you are going to do it.
                        No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane27;1632388 wrote:

I've had a few impulse cravings (for lack of better description). Once yesterday while driving to the dentist. I cant recall what I was thinking just prior but I came to a red light and all of a sudden I had a flash that was like a flirtation with my old life style - "come on, remember how good it was? this is how it works...go to the store...." and at the same time a reel of warm drinking memories began to play.. all of the familiar stuff...the drinking I did every day after work.
                          Jane, I too used to drink everyday after work and used to get high by the time reaching home. It was the only "fun" thing to do in evening. I gave up Al back in august/September thanks for MWO but restarted. Now have decided to quit once and for all. One of the things that really work well for me if food. Like you I too get this thoughts in the evening and what I do at that time is grab a sandwich or something so fill up and all these thoughts vanishes.

We have been drinking for som long that the brain reacts and asks for AL when we are hungry. It's not his fault we have been feeding ourself the poison AL. It will require re learning on our part to change our attitude towards AL. How we see it how we view it. I. My case I must convince myself it's no the "fun" thing to do after long day or work or a day or travelling.

Take care and wish you all the best
                          Rahul
                          Rebooting ... done ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 8 morning,
                            Came back late at about 2 am after the "dinner" with friends. Didn't even feel like touching AL. Good thing was, not even thinking about it. I fact is as having pity for the people who were drinking. Why wold anyone drink just two pegs of whiskey. Either they are new to AL , which they are not. Or they are just are having a false notion of "control" or moderation. I am not justifying that we must drink a lot. But simply saying why to control or moderate. I used to drink to get high. And 2 pegs were not for me. I needed half a bottle or more. Now knowing that AL does not do me any good, why drink even one ?

It's was a different experience to drive at 2 am. No traffic, street lights crisp like stars. Strange but have been drinking for so long and have been drunk every evening that have forgotten to see night from sober eyes. It seems so different and great.

You all have a nice day or evening where ever you all.
                            Rahul
                            Rebooting ... done ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am so new here and have never ever posted. I am not used to how these threads work. I have been around on and off but not very often. The last time was 2012. I want to feel comfortable here, I want to be able to manage. I have tried to abstain but that just get my brain going and I fail. I need a balance. I want a balance.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

Rahul, your posts made my heart sing! :goodjob: - and keep it up. You know you can do it!

Have some coffee to get your Saturday off to a great start.

This Saturday marks the 19th consecutive Saturday I woke up without having overindulged (what a lovely coy word) the previous week. (Or indulged at all!) What an amazing feeling! Can I give myself a pat on the back? :goodjob:

I hope all of you have a lovely AF Saturday - especially those who live in the colder, snowy parts of the Nest! (We are heading for winter, and I dread it!)
                                14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Working...
                                X