Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!

Mein, here's another hug. That hospital vigil is just awful. Strength to you and your family!

Here's to another week ahead! I was writing something on another thread this morning (Guitarista's) and I thought, gosh, if we fought as hard for our sobriety as we did for a drink, this would be EASY! There are so many layers of CRAP to get down to the white meat of the problem! Once you get there, it falls into place! One day at a time, indeed! Go out and make this a great, AF day! XO, Byrdie

Edit to add: Great job, New Dreams!!! We are so glad you're here! You are kicking arse!! Hugs!
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, All:

Good detective work, New Dreams - it took me a while to solve the MAE mystery. Great on Day 3 and on identifying triggers. I found (and find) the visual triggers to be so great mostly because in the adverts and movies alcohol is so romanticized. If you want a true look at the "glamour" of alcohol, check out those Rain in My Heart documentaries.

Dreamy - I love that story. I was writing on another thread that I actually danced in public on a SMALL dance floor in front of many friends without the crutch of alcohol. It took me extra effort to start (actually, a friend pulling me out on the floor), but once I did I relaxed and just went with it. Surprising what we can actually do without AL that we thought we needed.

Mein - Hugs from here, too. It is a terrible process to go through and I know your family is grateful to have the sober you there to help take care of them. My MiL died of cancer and hospice was truly amazing. Good luck today.

Petrel - I think I missed your full moon party. Great for going a week - and as they say here, now you've been sober every day of the week. I found I sleep so much better without AL - and I remember my truly whacky dreams more and more.

And Tree! Whoot. How's your house purchase going? GREAT work on 60+ days. Keep it up.

Happy Monday, Nest. Stay strong, stay sober!

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello nesters,

Mein so sorry ... Cancer is a bad disease ...

My day 9 ending and Had a junk food eating day ... Started with sandwich at McDonalds during morning breakfast and night with a whole domino pizza down the drain. But yes not drinking .... By evening I feel hungry and AL thoughts come and eating helps.

This way am I replacing Al with something else ? Food addiction ?

Sarah I went cold turkey and thank god no physical withdrawal or systems except few days of sleeplessness. I feel to lost sense when I have empty stomach ... And thoughts start coming. Would it be a better idea to use L Glut rather then stuffing with food ? Will also stop my craving for junk food which I am so used to eating along with AL. I am just worried eating out alone too can be a trigger ... Of not today maybe in future. When I am sitting in a restaurant alone eating food I might be close to triggering.

Please advice all.
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1633750 wrote:
          This way am I replacing Al with something else ? Food addiction ?
          Hey, Rahul
          I have a reputation around here as the Food Police and while it would be nice if people ate in ways that maximized their health (and that differs among individuals), the most important thing for anyone who finds his or her way here is to quit drinking alcohol

If I were you, I would do whatever it takes not to drink. If that means eating Twinkies and drinking Coke, so be it. I and some others found it easier not to drink if we also didn't get all revved up with sugar. As I said, everyone is different.

If after you are comfortably AF you want to clean up your diet and want a cheerleader, just give me a call .

I'm so happy for you, Rahul. We all know how much you want this and you're doing it!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1633753 wrote: Hey, Rahul
            I have a reputation around here as the Food Police
            NoSugar - this should read..

"I have a reputation around here as the Food expert :yougo:"

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pav, so that was a moon party:H all good! Sleeping much Better into week 2 of AF life. Exercise is the elixir of good sleep for me. And yes, having lots of wacky dreams, nothing bad.

Rahul, I have to agree with no sugar. Slay one dragon at a time. I'm not much of a fan of Tony Robbins, but one thing he said which stuck with me was "if you are going to quit an addiction, then you need to fill that void with something, not just leave an empty space".

As NS said, first priority is AF. For me, I'm having treats at night, deserts etc, that I don't normally have. I know I can curb that into something manageable in the long term. I've begun running again and haven't gained weight, so for me it's all fitting into place.

Regarding junk food. Think about it in ratios. Don't ban junk food. As we teach our kids: good food (vegetables, fruit, wholegrain etc.) and sometimes food (junk). Gradually change the ratio to a healthy balance, but don't get hung up on doing it straight away. Slay the alcohol demon first.

Healthy doesn't have to be boring. I'm learning more and more low fat, nutrition filled yummy meals to cook. I'm loving it. Also get a blender: fruit, nuts yogurt. Works for me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul, I have to agree with no sugar. Slay one dragon at a time. I'm not much of a fan of Tony Robbins, but one thing he said which stuck with me was "if you are going to quit an addiction, then you need to fill that void with something, not just leave an empty space".
                I totally agree with that Petrel. Whatever it takes.
                You can certainly clean up your diet later.

I drink a lot of tea. We have specialty tea places here and so I go and get some different varieties of tea and try them out. I have a neat tea thermos where i can put the leaves it it and fill it with hot water. This is a good way to keep busy thinking of drinking something else besides AL. It might be a fun thing to talk with your spouse about. Maybe she likes tea?
                I know this might sound but a lame idea, but different things work for different people!

Petrel, yogurt, fruit and Home made granola (I make awesome granola) YUM!
                Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                  Got yet more snow last night/this morning...dh was able to clear the drive with the snow blower. We didnt go out but need to tomorrow. I am so darn tired of being trapped in the house...
                  First thing this morning my best friend sent me a text saying her beautiful golden retriever had a serious heart issue and she had to put her to sleep...dh and I had a really good cry...that doggie was so special to us and we feel the loss as if she had been our dog....so I have been in a funk all day. Cry when I think of her coming to greet us.....they are with us such a short amount of time..I hugged my kids and they just seemed to know I was upset....sigh....
                  Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone it's been a while since I posted here. I know I'm heading towards bad times again so I'm trying to pull myself back from the brink. Just acknowledging it here makes it real for me and helps me.... Otherwise I'd be sat talking to myself lol. Takes a weight off. Like its not just a heavy secret I carry.l it just helps me to admit it. Even though it's not out loud cos I could really scream right now..it makes me smile and exhale a little.

Much love x

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dottie, I am so sorry to hear of that loss. My heart goes out to you and your friend. I think they do know... They pick up on the energy. Thinking of all tonight.

Stay strong, everyone. Making a homemade pizza tonight, tomato and olive with some jalape?os. Yummy.

Hey Trinity! Good to see you. What's going on? Byrdie
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm ashamed to admit it but I've been filling a glass of vodka and orange with more and more vodka and topping it with water because I've no mixer left.... There's a strain of orange still in there giving my glass its colour... Sad sad sad cow ��

Comment

Newbies Nest

Trinity, if whats in that glass is the CAUSE of this pain, why not pour the stuff out and lets get started on a new beginning? Save your liver the trouble of processing it!
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

You are absolutely right birdie. Pour it... Just pour it.... Easy.... I'm wrestling with myself but I'm gonna do it (glug) alike I may be but I won't tell you lies I drank half of it and now it's gone. I've had the shakes and the sweats. I don't want that again.... I'll tell you the truth I still can't bear to throw that last bit in the bottle away... I poured then I stopped. I panicked... Disgust!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I understand completely....but nothing changes if nothing changes. This takes a totally new appraoch to the one we have always fallen back on. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

If you are sick and and of this, hop on, we can help. Stop the bleeding now and try to get some rest!! Let tomorrow be the first day of your new life. B
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Freezing cold, lots of snow on the ground, still winter in Lav-land!

Dottie, sorry about your friend's dog. I've had two very special Goldens in my life, they really are family members

trinity, dump the booze & make a good plan for yourself!
                                Sparing the last few drops won't help your situation. Get lots of water & tea into you, get some rest!

Wishing everyone a warm & safe night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X