Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
    Or should I say, Good Mooning! Frances, around here, we give prizes for getting to 7 days! Here it is!
    :moon:
    You have tackled every single day the week can throw at you and YOU have not cracked!! (it just never gets old!!) Congratulations on this milestone! Day 6 was a %^&*( for me, too....happy to say it gets easier from here on out! Keep up the great work!
    Jane, we are ALL jealous of your warm weather vacation....we are all shivering for heat! We miss you and look forward to your safe return! Is today your record breaking day?
    K9, happy to help....Love you.

Hang strong today everyone! Whatever you do, don't invite the beast back in....he's trying to kill us! He comes to the door in girl scout uniforms and under the guise of handsome princes ready to sweep us off our feet....but he is the lowest arsehole in the book and will say anything to fool you. Don't fall for it, it IS a trap. Do whatever it takes to be AF on this day...and tomorrow will take care of itself. Hugs to all, Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9Lover;1633985 wrote: Byrdie...you saved me tonight. 2 years means nothing when the Beast comes calling.
      After 20 years of sobriety Robin Williams said it best when explaining why he fell off the wagon...."It's [addiction] -- not caused by anything, it's just there," Williams said. "It waits. It lays in wait for the time when you think, 'It's fine now, I'm OK.' Then, the next thing you know, it's not OK. Then you realize, 'Where am I? I didn't realize I was in Cleveland.'"

Just another very clear reason why we all need to be vigilante and most importantly, develop a support structure that we can rely on when Alcohol comes knocking.

K9 I am so glad that you were able to lean on Byrdie and come through this brief moment sober!
      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all! Just stopping by for a check in. Errands to run today, going to make red lentil curry for dinner.... Just normal every day life with out a mid day nap because I'm tired from drinking the day before!

Hope everything is going OK K9! You're such an encouragement to everybody!

Good job on 7 day Francis!

Comment

Newbies Nest

K-9, Thanks for telling us about your close call with The Devil. Sometimes I feel like I should be "better" by now and get on with my life... quit needing MWO so much... move on... all of that. Intellectually I understand that part of having a chronic condition is attending to it daily but it would be easy to fool myself into thinking I no longer need to make the effort and drift away. It is good to read reminders from people who in my mind seem "cured" . Addiction isn't like that, though, is it? - It is more like diabetes than a broken leg. So, we've got to keep taking our 'medicine' and for me that means staying connected here with a like-minded group of smart, funny people who have my back and I have theirs. :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
            Thanks everyone for the comforting words...
            K9 hope u are OK....we are here for you.
            Ava rooting for u...100 days will be fantastic!!
            Sun is out and up to 25....we are venturing out to run errands. Time change this weekend so maybe with longer days of "sunshine" my mood will improve.
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady thanks for that I got a good laugh :-) !!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day one for me... Feeling down, but looking forward to a new start....Blessed to have one...
                God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Newbies Nest

I don't pop in here like I should, but please know I am rooting for all of you... thanks Byrdie for being there for K9:h
                  I love my family more than alcohol.:h
                  Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Newbies Nest

SpiritGirl;1634132 wrote: Day one for me... Feeling down, but looking forward to a new start....Blessed to have one...
                    Hey cool..welcome---Perhaps you can post on the newbie roll call...we kinda check in there each day---no pressure:welcome:

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar;1634116 wrote: So, we've got to keep taking our 'medicine' and for me that means staying connected here with a like-minded group of smart, funny people who have my back and I have theirs. :h NS
                      Good idea, you talked me into it. It does take effort and constant vigilance. I wish it were more easy. I think once you practice something long enough it becomes part of you and then just a little maintenance to keep you focused and living how you chose. I am looking forward to filling the void created by AL by getting back to exercising daily, reading more books & eating a healthy diet. Don't know what else to do right now but think those 3 things are a good start and will allow me to live a life with less anxiety. By the way once when I went to a neurologist for a tremor ( diagnosed as Benign Essential Tremor) the doc asked me why I drank so much. I told him I didn't know. He left the room & when he returned I told him I thought I 'drank so much' b/c of anxiety. Which is true. I may have begun that way but then I learned to like drinking.. The anxiety then as I got older kept me drinking more for anxiety trying in desperation to feel like a human. So my aim is to help my body heal and be able to relax w/o the temporary fix of AL which leads to worsened anxiety. Phew ``
                      Essential Tremor is inherited and alcohol does alleviate it quite a bit but that is a trap leading to a problem w/alcohol. Here is one link about tremor & Alcohol Withdrawal - Benign Essential Tremor Info

SpiritGirl~~ good to arrive at a starting date - not easy to do in my opinion. Now just do whatever you need to not drink. This site is of tremendous help so use it in your quest.
                      Read....Read.....Read & Post. Look forward to hearing of your progress & many AF days ahead!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

SpiritGirl;1634132 wrote: Day one for me... Feeling down, but looking forward to a new start....Blessed to have one...
                        Hi, SpritGirl. Welcome to the Newbies Nest!

I read something one day that really helped me change my thinking about this and it relates to what you wrote:

We have the opportunity to make this change in our lives. We don't have to do it, we get to do it !

That mental switch from 'have to' to 'get to' can be just the attitude adjustment needed to get this DONE!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hypernova;1634166 wrote: Good idea, you talked me into it. It does take effort and constant vigilance. I wish it were more easy. I think once you practice something long enough it becomes part of you and then just a little maintenance to keep you focused and living how you chose.
                          Glad you're on board -- it works!

It probably seems to you like it is really hard right now but overall, this has been so much easier than I thought it would be. My fear of how hard it would be kept me from doing it and it turns out that the fear was so over-blown! I have not experienced anything during the last year (physically or mentally) more painful than things I experienced routinely when I was drinking too much. I would classify how I felt during the first couple months AF as discomfort - maybe a 2-4 on a 1-10 scale. When I was drinking too much, I had plenty of 5-7 days physically and some 8-9 days mentally. What was there to be scared of ???

And after you've done it awhile, it sort of is a habit not to drink (although that sounds odd - habits typically are things you do ). I think the trick is to remember to do the maintenance work - whatever it turns out that you need. I suspect that most people who relapse either get cocky or lazy and let go of what helped them become AF in the first place.

Stick around Hypernova - this is an amazing place.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoSugar, I agree to all you said. I'm telling you, staying around here in the Newbie's Nest is THE best therapy I know...so good to see folks sticking their heads in! (Mama Bear!!)
                            Hypernova, I have essential tremors, too. Does the fun just never end? I take Primidone for them and it works wonders! Did your doctor have you do that heel to toe (like a sobriety test)? I can't do that without great effort, heaven forbid I ever get pulled over and get asked to do that!! I'd flunk and be cold sober!
                            Spiritgirl, welcome aboard! Stick with us and don't be afraid! Being sober is the best gift we can give ourselves, it is just an adjustment....it's different, it is NOT scary after all. You will be amazed how much better you are going to feel about everything really! We are so glad you found us.
                            Jane, I am so glad you are now in uncharted waters! We will stay afloat together!! Glad you are back!
                            Hugs to all, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE again,
                              Dh brought up selling our RV and I was so happy i wanted to shout WOOHOO...but I did not. He has been really stubborn about traveling in it but maybe he is seeing that his driving skills are not that great anymore...at least I hope so. I dreaded the conversation on where I wanted to go this summer. WE can sell it and get enough money to take a few nice trips and I am OK with that. We didnt buy it as an investment. Going to talk to to a local RV dealer about a consignment so we dont have to be bothered with selling it ourselves...sure hope he doesn't change his mind....
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

This is for Lav...

Attached files [img]/converted_files/2284538=7738-attachment.jpg[/img]
                                Go as far as you can see.
                                When you get there, you'll see further.

Comment

Working...
                                X