Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Day 15 and reporting :

I remember while drinking I used to makeup with heavy head hung over. But morning was the time I was rational I guess. Promising myself not to repeat, seeing AL as a curse.

However It's like a bigger awakening when you start viewing alcohol as a drug. Although my mind is partially accepting it that way and I know soon it would.

I have been to so many night life areas around the world - from village in NYC to La Ramba in Barcelona. Pat Pong in Bangkok to surfers paradise in Australia. It's now looks shocking how they have these bars dedicated to this drug. In Europe virtually every old city has an old town and then these bars. In Germany every small town has its own beer running thru centuries serving beer. From light to super dark.

It's a paradigm shift in my vision and thought once I start seeing Alcohol as a drug.

What a MASSIVE LIE !

Wine and cheese ?!₹&. ... My arse ...

Past ten years I have been doing only one thing ... Hunting my drug. Finding a bar which can serve my appetite for this drug.

I can't believe even I was part of this massive lie. I too was in winery for wine tasting just 3 weeks back

How being sober and bring back sense of reality. How being sober makes us appreciate life. How being sober is so much better than bar hunting to satisfy your addiction.

Have a nice day or evening where whoever you all are !!
    Rahul
    --------------------------------------------
    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
    Rebooting ... done ...
    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW! You guys have been busy around here today, awesome!!!!

Congrats on the 30 AF days lead
      Makes a hell of a difference, don't you think?

New Dream, Many years ago I went searching online for something to help my great nephew with his ADHD. He was 14 & came to live with me for a while & I was irritated to see that he was still on Ritalin. (I have a long standing history of refusing to medicate kids). I found a website devoted to incorporating mindfulness in your life using Japanese Psychology. I became a member & have learned so much over the years. Take a look - you can do a lot of free reading & see how important gratitude is in our lives: The ToDo Institute: Mindfulness, Procrastination, and Gratitude using Morita and Naikan Therapies

Congrats to everyone getting thru today without AL - do it again tomorrow
      Wishing a safe & cozy night in the nest for all!

Lav
      AF since 03/26/09
      NF since 05/19/09
      Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1635063 wrote: Day 15 and reporting :

I remember while drinking I used to makeup with heavy head hung over. But morning was the time I was rational I guess. Promising myself not to repeat, seeing AL as a curse.

However It's like a bigger awakening when you start viewing alcohol as a drug. Although my mind is partially accepting it that way and I know soon it would.

I have been to so many night life areas around the world - from village in NYC to La Ramba in Barcelona. Pat Pong in Bangkok to surfers paradise in Australia. It's now looks shocking how they have these bars dedicated to this drug. In Europe virtually every old city has an old town and then these bars. In Germany every small town has its own beer running thru centuries serving beer. From light to super dark.

It's a paradigm shift in my vision and thought once I start seeing Alcohol as a drug.

What a MASSIVE LIE !

Wine and cheese ?!₹&. ... My arse ...

Past ten years I have been doing only one thing ... Hunting my drug. Finding a bar which can serve my appetite for this drug.

I can't believe even I was part of this massive lie. I too was in winery for wine tasting just 3 weeks back

How being sober and bring back sense of reality. How being sober makes us appreciate life. How being sober is so much better than bar hunting to satisfy your addiction.

Have a nice day or evening where whoever you all are !!
        No Kiddin Rahul.... One big effen lie...protected because of massive profits and promoted by media...for profit. The longer Im sober the more Im getting this distinct distaste for the whole industry...oh well--thats their problem..Cuz Im outtie:

Like someone here mentioned earlier---We GET TO not drink...makes everything else easier.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I found it, Lead! Great post. Congratulations again, and I hope you put it in the toolbox!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1634963 wrote: Pav, I was able to go off 3 (count em, THREE) Blood pressure meds after I quit! Just amazing! Who knew? I thought it was relaxing me! What a boob! :bust: B
            Alcohol definitely raises BP. And I had to drink a lot , just to prove it.

I went for many years of drinking, and there was little change in my BP, but since my marriage breakdown, maybe I drank more, or perhaps the increased stress and the alcohol combined was enough to raise my BP to the point were my GP got concerned.

It's now all good with being AF.

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane27;1634868 wrote: Petrel,

Thanks for your feedback- I am a grinder and got fitted for a new mouthguard just last week. The chewing is happening while I'm awake unfortunately. I'm sure you're right that its anxiety. There was to be some major dislocation going on biochemically- its a little scary to even think about. You continue to sound bright and clear. Its a pleasure to see the fog lifting for you. Hope you have a good run. I used to exercise religiously, often several hours a day. The more than a decade long habit came to an abrupt halt when I broke my foot in 2008. I ran 9 (whole) minutes yesterday, and 10 today. Yesterday was prompted by nervous energy and emotion over K9. Today it just seemed like a good idea. I do occasionally miss the high feeling drinking gave me. I am hoping to cultivate that same feeling by getting back into exercise.

In October I fell down the stairs (again) injuring my knee. My back and groin have been out of alignment ever since. I am in such crummy shape! Its a strange fact that the last great workouts I recall- the ones where I was doing 10mph sprints on the treadmill, multiple shots of vodka and smoking cigarettes had already made their way into my workout routines. Soon after that I found out I had high blood pressure...things slipped little by little after that. I can only imagine what my doctors would have said if they knew what I was up to. The information I shared with them was downright holy compared with the truth.

I'm also on BP meds, and have been meaning to take a reading as its reasonable to expect that the numbers have fallen. I would love to be committed to exercise again. Thank you for your suggestions. Are you a dentist? I have been gargling with Listerine before bed and its yooooooooowcchhie painful.
              Hey Jane. Thanks for the nice comments. Yes. I feel quite good. No real cravings, just have to keep bordom away by doing interesting things and staying busy, which I've managed to do so far. Yes, I am a dentist.

It sounds like you're being managed properly for your jaw problems. The condition is called TMD (temperomandibur dysfunction). It results from stress & grinding your teeth, and manifests with what you describe and clicking joints in the jaw, muscle pain in the face & the muscles you chew with, and headaches. The splint is a good short term help, but long term the stress needs to be managed. I'm no expert at that. Remove the stressful stuff out of your life and exercise have worked for me. Taichi, yoga, meditiation perhaps.

I hope you manage to get back into exercise soon. It has multiple benefits.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters

Lovely day in my part of the Nest - hope those of you with snow on the ground are coping!

Petrel, we had to do so many things just to prove it, as you said. Now, I have only one important thing to do: not drink. Simple, really.

Rahul, well done on 15 day - keep it up! Being sober definitely makes me appreciate life so much - with all the ups and downs it brings. My sober life is not perfect, by a long shot, but it is so much better than the old one - and one I never want back again.

It's Friday - just plain Friday, not drink-as-much-as-you-can day, not drink-because-it's-been-a-long-and-hard-week day, not let's-get-in-the-mood-for-the-weekend day; just plain nice old Friday - enjoy it AF, Nesters!
                14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE everyone

Well it is Friday here and a long weekend for us although the end of Daylight Saving which is not good as means winter is coming.

Jane i hate cooking too, the boys so appreciate that meal i cook for them occasionally. I figure they have two hands and a heartbeat so they are quite capable of cooking their own meals.

Great quote Lead about Mick Jagger and it is so damn true, al stopped being fun for me a long time ago.

Ahhh Petrel i was wondering myself if you were a dentist by what you said although google is a marvellous tool when used properly. i had low blood pressure when it was really hot here and stupid me googled it and it said the next step if my blood pressure went down was "death". Well that got me totally paranoid haha but i did figure the dr may hav sent me to hospital if that was the case.

Well i am getting closer to triple digits and i must say going from 90 days to 100 is taking about a year in waiting terms but being patient is what its all about and i never thought i would do a day 1 and carry it through to day 100 so i must be determined and patient.

Take care everyone and the weekend is just a weekend, its not an open slather invitation to celebrate by having a drink, its about waking up sober and happy to enjoy another day. For me, i am going to the markets with my daughter tomorrow and pottering around the house, washing the dogs and doing the washing. Very mundane chores but something i would never have done with a massive hangover.
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dream, for me anyway, it's a simple equation: don't drink= healthy blood pressure and many other health benefits.

Ava, congrats on nearly reaching 100 days. It's Friday night. I'll be be watching the broncos play the bulldogs over a cold lemonade!! Nearly the end of day 12. Boring weekend for me too. Cooking, gardening and house work.

Comment

Newbies Nest

It does get a bit boring not drinking i must say, i even thought that this afternoon driving home. A drink would be nice, just popped into my head and popped out again. Was not going to do it but al just wanted to try and talk me into it. No way am i losing this 100 days on Monday to a "slip" as most call it, i would call it a monumental fark up for me personally. Oh im having a warm cup of tea, Melbourne is doing the four seasons in one day today but weekend should be lovely.

You will be running and you seem to enjoy that so not really boring!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava, I've my party frock ready for Monday - so don't you dare stuff things up because "a drink would be nice". :H:H:H

I get those thoughts every once in a while, but it's on the same scale as " I would love to go shopping on the moon" - it's not going to happen. I guess those thoughts are part habit, part advertising, part what we used to enjoy (for a short while). I sort of shrug my shoulders and move on. You'll be ok, I know. But, :l:l:l anyway.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Everyone is sounding good and strong. Thanks for the laugh boobie, er byrdie.
                          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Ava, yes I will be running first thing. It's such a powerful motivator for me. It's bringing back good memories of what used to be. And will be again I hope.

Sorry to bore you folks around the world. I've just sat down to watch Friday night football (rugby league). It's the start of the season. First round. I'd forgotten how riddled the coverage is with alcohol advertising. It's so powerful. Our kids don't stand a chance. I'm sure the day will come when the ads are banned. Can only hope.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Now who woulda thunk - there really is a booby bird:

I don't think all of them come out in the blue bikini top model, but all have blue feet.

Blue-footed Booby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Newbies Nest

dream, i am having a purple party so i hope your frock is purple although anything purple will be acceptable. There is no way i am not making the big triple digits unless someone drugs me and pours al down my throat. I will be celebrating on Monday. Love your boobie bird.

Petrel, its ridiculous isnt it the al adds and they were killers when i first gave up drinking, seeing someone with a glass of wine on tv, i was sooo jealous of them. I get at least 5 emails a day on al specials and i have unsubscribed and still get the damn things yet they bann smoking adds etc as bad for your health. Try being an alcoholic and see how bad al is for your health. Oh im on a rant now haha. I may just go and watch Dr Blakes Murder Mysteries at least the ABC has no adds.

How are you LB? Hope all is going well and you have your outfit ironed and ready for Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                X