Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

I know that when I initially went to my Doctor and said I had a problem and asked for Topamax, she gave it to me but didn't act like it would help. (This was almost 2 years ago:eeks She told me 'Don't drink'. That always bothered me because I went there because I had a problem. I obviously knew not to drink. Oh well. Anyway, I should have gone back & worked with her more to up the Topamax. She just gave me 50 mg. and I should have been upping the dose until I got to a point where it was helping. I ended up just stopping taking it and supplements. About 3 weeks ago, I just couldn't take it anymore. My depression was so out of hand. I was back to drinking heavily most nights of the week. I just felt like I was going to lose it. I made an appointment to go see her and on the day of my appointment, I got a call that she was out on a family emergency and wouldn't be back for a month. They gave me an appointment with another doctor and I went in and spilled my guts. This doctor told me that she couldn't do anything for me that I would have to wait until my regular doctor came back. :upset: Anyway, luckily I had this 2 week vacation planned to come visit my parents. I have been able to be AF for 10 days so far and am ready to continue being AF. I am worried about going home and falling into my old traps so I am listening to all of the wonderful advise that I get here. So, I guess the bottom line of my long rambling note here.........is THANK YOU! I am glad to be here and I appreciate each and everyone of you. Thanks for this nest! This is where I need to be. :l:thanks::l
    "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi.
      Nora I can relate to what your doc said to you. When I initially went to see a doc about quitting drinking, he gave me antidepressants, sleeping tablets and told me to use "will power".... Like duh! If I had "willpower" I wouldnt have asked for help...

Anyway just a quicky... Tranq and Lav - I have ordered the Amoryn off the net so will give that a go rather than the prescription antidepressants. They are coming from New Zealand as there doesnt seem to be a distributor in Australia.
      Thanks for that link. Hopefully they will work.

Take care everyone and hope you are getting thru Tuesday.
      HC
      I finally got it!
      "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nora and Hippy,

It makes me angry that doctors (medical professionals at that) can blow people and their serious drinking issues off like that. Hippy - like you said - if we all had "will power" we wouldn't be seeking help. It's a shame - they all seem so eager to help someone that has an addiction to nicotine - why not alcohol? Enough of that - hope you guys make out okay with your meds/supps.

So - I almost had myself talked into stopping for a "small" bottle of white wine so I could make my shrimp scampi last night. Who was I trying to fool? It was an excuse - just because the recipe calls for it doesn't mean I have to use it. Promised myself I would not drink this week (taking baby steps again) so I did not stop and used chicken broth instead. Was thinking to myself last night - "you will feel so much better without the guilt, going to bed feeling peaceful and waking up rested. Well - I hit 2 out of 3 - sleeping patterns still just aren't back to normal for me yet. Still felt like a major accomplishment last night that I beat the demon voice that was trying to get me to stop on the way home.

It's damp and dreary here where I am but it's a new day and I'm going to stay positive!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday!

Jolie
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well done Jolie. Baby steps are a good plan.
          Hope your day brightens - ours is just finishing. Another hot one tomorrow. 38degrees - YUK!
          Take care.
          Hippy
          I finally got it!
          "All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become" Buddah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day one for me again
            I will do this.....got into big fight with sweet hubby so double motivated to be good
            I love my family more than alcohol.:h
            Live in the Solution....not the problem

Comment

Newbies Nest

Me to Mama Bear - not sure why I did last night, had no fights and was feeling good but not going to think about it just thinking of today and determined not to tonight :l
              Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Pretty dreary here in my end of the Nest but I'm up & Unhung!!!

Kbrown, good for you on your 13 days - great progress! Stay as strong as you are right now - you are doing the best possible thing for yourself & child!

Greetings to Excuses & Sunni & Tranq!

NoraC - a big congrats to you on your 10 F days! We are all here with you because most of us can not have just 1 drink! I think what you need is a great big dose of Lavan-itude!! It has served me well during the toughest of times

HC, while you are waiting for your Amoryn delivery please carefully wean yourself off any Rx AD you may be on. Stopping an AD suddenly cancause you problems you don't want right now. Your Doc's office will give you a weaning schedule if you call. I really hope you reap the benefits I did being on Amoryn. Feeling better with no side effects is a real blessing

Jolie, good choice! Think of the calories & potential problems you avoided yesterday!! There is no way in hell I could open a bottle of wine, use a few tablespoons for cooking & not drink the rest! I'm just not putting that temptation in front of me anymore. Pretty damp here this morning, huh?

Mama Bear, sorry about the fight with your husband but let me tell you this - you can fight with him without drinking. Trust me, I know this from personal experience! It's your choice to make!!

Wishing everyone a good AF Tuesday, I'll be back later!

Lav.

Greetings to BPleasant & MG! MG, glad you hopped back on board with us - hang on tight!!
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

As youall know I have been frustrated with Papa Bear b/c he drinks in front of me and goes to the bar several nights a week. He knows how much trouble I am having and thinks it is all in my head.He says cravings are ridiculous and there is no "Beast"
                  last night I blasted him and deliberatly went and got a beer when he told me no......I have always hated being told what to do......
                  he was very nasty this morning and said obiviously I don't give a damn about him (nothing could be further from the truth...I adore him)and he is done if it happens again
                  I cried and begged....this is our once a week routine....and now we have an uneasy truce.....I really need his unconditional love and support right now....

But after this pity party I am going to get my head back in the right place and be good!!!!!
                  Thanks for listening
                  Any word on Gumdrop?

Comment

Newbies Nest

I haven't posted in awhile ...Hello everyone
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f8/my-story-some-40119.html My Story

AF - 08/06/2010

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning everyone!

Last night was a little hard, my husband had a few beers left in the fridge (he isnt a big drinker) a 6 pack could last him for weeks. Well he was working late and it was so tempting, however my guilt won and instead of giving in I made cookies with my daughter! After we were done I went to my bedroom and watched a little tv. I think over the weekend I kept myself so busy it was easier but as soon as I had down time last night it was all I could think about! I am glad to say I did not have a drink at all and I am on day 7! This definitely feels great as opposed to the way I would be feeling if I gave in!

Mama Bear- you can do this!

Lav- Good Morning! How about this weather??? It makes me want to crawl back in bed!

Everyone else, have a great Tuesday!!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all!

Happy to say I am in good spirits and beginning again on staying permanently AF today. Feels good to be back on track.

Have a great day everyone!!

MG29
                        I ain't afraid of no ghost....

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good for you MG sending lots of positive vibes your way

P
                          Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.

Comment

Newbies Nest

how many days now MG?

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone!!! Just a quick hello to wish everyone a wonderful AF day. We have got rain here in Oregon. But, it is still beautiful here. I will be back later.
                              HAVE A GREAT AF DAY!!!!

PS - I am going to start using Lavan-itude!!! :H:H
                              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Afternoon kids,

Hi FallonsMom, good to see you! How have you been?

Excuses, you made a great choice last night, good for you. I'll take my pride any day over a stupid drink!

Just realized we're all practically neighbors!! You two are in Phila., I moved a bit south to Southern Chester County almost 7 years ago. I have a lot of 4 legged neigbors these days.......big change

Have a good rest of the day everyone, I'll be back later.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X