Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

peppersnow;1640945 wrote: Then I tricked myself into thinking I had things under control. A glass or two of wine each week quickly became 3 glasses daily, and before I knew it I was back to 1/3 liter of vodka every day.
    Welcome Pepper...I can relate to the trying to mod & the slippery slope...did that my self as have many other here.

Welcome to JAG & Think too.... wonderful support here in the nest. :welcome:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
      Justa, welcome aboard! Pull up a twig and get comfy...we are all in this nest together and there is strength in numbers...we are so glad you're here!

Petrel, it is a great honor to be able to present this small token to you for 30 AF days! You have climbed out of the rabbit hole and fought tooth (Dentist joke) and nail to do it! 30 days doesn't just happen, it takes commitment and a strong treatment plan. We are so proud of you! Do you have a few words as to how you did it? What worked, what didn't. You know the drill! With great pleasure:
      :goodtime:

Well done!

Sarah, you described what happened to me to a T. I could rack up a few AF days and then, BAM, when I did drink, it was like I was trying to make up for lost time! Like I was drinking out of desperation or panic or something. As I had said many times, I never drank harder than the year I tried to moderate. You are still in this dog fight, I am so happy you are determined...that's what it takes! You will soon develop a pretty strong hatred towards AL, too...and that's a good thing. I despise it for what it has done to me and my friends here. AL has NEVER done me any favors. Stick with us, you are getting there!

Hope everyone has an easy day today!! Hugs to all on this journey! Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
        Cold again with snow tomorrow...boohiss....
        Off to the gym then I need to do some work around here..I have become the queen of procrastination when it comes to going through all the stuff in the living/dining rooms that was left from the auction at my folks house...I just cant face it. But I must.....
        Maybe the gym will help my mood...
        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Kensho, I did shoot you the moon over on roll call, but I want to make sure we have complete coverage!

:moon:

GREAT JOB on your 7 days!! We are so proud of this cheeky achievement!! xo, B
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie! Feels good to make it a week! You are so good at making people blush all over their accomplishment - thank you for that!

Jane - I barely drank a thing during my first pregnancy because my issue started after that. During my second, I was struck at how much I wanted to drink, and I had probably one glass of wine per week (it was hard not to drink more). For me, being pregnant caused me to hyperfocus on growing a human being. I was so tuned in to "another life", and didn't want to ruin it from the start. Also, being pregnant made me more tolerant to pain and atypical physical stuff, and the cravings took a back seat to morning sickness, inguinal hernias, contraction tights, exhausted sleep, etc. I was in the practice of enduring more - and focused on something much bigger than alcohol - at least for me. I may not have been quite as addicted as I am now - different levels of addiction may experience it differently. I know women who have kids with FAS, and I am so thankful I did not drink to excess with the kiddos!
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

BENCHMARK.

Rahul - thanks for the reminder about gratitude. It really is an important frame of mind. Congrats on your sober trip. Sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

Ava - I'm not in the position to offer much advice, but your posts about Thailand made me think of those evenings in the past when I've felt immediate remorse after having just a few sips of AL – didn’t even really want it and it didn’t improve my evening. You wouldn't want to spoil such an amazing destination with that feeling! None and done!

MOST AWESOME THINGS ABOUT BEING AF FOR 7 DAYS:
              - I feel healthier – mind, body and spirit!
              - Cravings are getting easier because I know I CAN DO IT (and better how to do it)
              - It’s really liberating not to have to hide my booze breath from ANYONE. My son does not have to grow up with an alcohol breath association to Harry Potter! (we read before bed)
              - following through with a commitment to myself is a boost I cannot get anywhere else
              - I feel different after 7 days. It took me 8 years, or 2848 days, to develop the drinking habit... that I can make progress on a new habit in 7 days makes me optimistic.

GREATEST CHALLENGES ABOUT BEING AF FOR 7 DAYS:
              - Still not sure how to fill that time I used to spend drinking – feels strange still
              - My life feels like it is in transition – a bit uncomfortable
              - Don’t like thinking about AL so much of the day – soon I will need to back off the constant posts and focus on my normal daily schedule
              - For some reason, my memory seems WORSE!?!

Thank you EVERYONE who has read and supported my frequent posts. I don’t feel I would be having this success without knowing I can come somewhere that I am understood. Sending hugs to all! :h

GRACE:
              It grips my fractured pieces
              and quietly fights, and finds shape.
              A growing calm enters my daily mold
              And my breath slows.
              My laughter wisens and
              I feel a soft certainty in my molecules.
              Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great post Kensho
                Congrats on your 7 AF days - really does make a difference!

Jane, now that I think about it I rarely drank when I was in my twenties & having kids! Yes I was a smoker & had to battle that during my pregnancies but AL wasn't an issue. I became a serious drink after age 40 when too much life was hitting me all at once. My usual coping mechanisms were no longer any help. I turned to AL, never expecting to become addicted
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

On behalf of the Nest, I'd like to bestow a couple of awards.

First, to Byrdie for keeping track of all of us, and never failing to hand out a nice shiny moon or a voluptuous double digit award. Please accept this for all of your hard work:

:heartsnflowers:

Second, to our other Nest Mom Lav! Thanks for being so solid and offering unwavering advice and support! So many of us wouldn't be here without you!

:grouptrophy:

You guys (ok, girls) rock!!!
                  :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Lavande;1641265 wrote: I became a serious drink after age 40 when too much life was hitting me all at once. My usual coping mechanisms were no longer any help. I turned to AL, never expecting to become addicted
                    This makes me feel better, Lav. Someone as cool as you was 'old enough to know better', like I was :l.

I second this motion, K9!:

K9Lover;1641278 wrote:
                    On behalf of the Nest, I'd like to bestow a couple of awards.

First, to Byrdie for keeping track of all of us, and never failing to hand out a nice shiny moon or a voluptuous double digit award. Please accept this for all of your hard work:

:heartsnflowers:

Second, to our other Nest Mom Lav! Thanks for being so solid and offering unwavering advice and support! So many of us wouldn't be here without you!

:grouptrophy:

You guys (ok, girls) rock!!!
                    It is so good to have a stable presence amidst all the tumult of the nest. And thank you, K9, for remembering that everyone should be reminded how much they are appreciated.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone !,

Day 29 over !

Thought of sharing some pictures from the my last trip to Europe, bought news shoes and explored early morning jogging which normally were for hangover , here is the link : Trip To Europe 2014 Photos by rahulthesweet | Photobucket.

While seeing it pay attention to this one with the boat and reflection, I gazed at it and then thought about myself ... : This Half Sunken Boat Reminds Me Of Myself As I Was Trapped In Sea Of AL. Photo by rahulthesweet | Photobucket

This is a picture of a half sunk boat in one of the canals of Amsterdam : The boats is ME as I was some time back sinking deep in the deep sea of Alcohol, now half out I see the beautiful scenery which represents life and how great and beautiful is ...

The reflections of buildings in the canal shows how life inside canal of Alcohol looks great but its just a reflection or illusion ...

---------------

Petra
                      ... super congrats on completing 30 days you well deserve it ... what you have is wonderful ... and I see you are working towards a wonderful goal ... marathon ...

K9
                      : nice hair ... have you coloured them ?

Kensho
                      : Superb to see you cross first critical milestone of 7 days ... remember you are now in control .. not AL. You write beautiful poems ....

------------
                      Good night ...
                      Rahul
                      --------------------------------------------
                      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                      Rebooting ... done ...
                      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 I need a LIKE button for your post!!! Says what I think too.
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul - God that photo's GREAT! I made it my wallpaper (if you don't mind) to remind me what the half-sunk boat looks like. Great image, thank you for sharing!

K-9 - Yes, Yes, Yes! I second that prize!
                          Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1641294 wrote: K9 : nice hair ... have you coloured them ?
                            That's my daughter! I guess she got tired of looking EXACTLY like me. LOL
                            :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, stop...you are makin me blush! (thank you.....).
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

You deserve it Byrdiegood on 7 days Kensho,keep it up! Rahul,those pics are awesome,thanks for sharing with us and i just wanted to say you are sounding so good,very different and happy compared to when you were drinking,i feel we got "the old"Rahul back,and i like him
                                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X