Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

Lav, this is for your five years sober - and the many sober years and months and days you have helped others to achieve. Congratulations, and thank you so very much for your wise words and support!

14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters

Congratulations Lav on 5 years, what a great achievement to accomplish and it gives me inspiration to carry on with being sober, actually an ant walking on the footpath gives me inspiration also but cant talk and advise me like you have done with your words. I thank you for the encouragement, the advice and guidance on being and keeping sober. Byrd and yourself were my "good cop, bad cop" in the early days of my sobriety and listening to you made me think hard about this journey and carrying on with it. This I have done with you in my life and i am very grateful Lav.

Thank you for helping me stay sober.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

HUGE congrats Lav!!!!! Thanks so much for all u do here!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul, well done on 30 days. Let's keep this going. It is so rewarding. I can tell in your writing that you are getting more out of life without AL. I can so relate to that.

Lav, 5 years!!!!? Wow. You will always be the trailblazer as long as you are here. Which is a very long time I'm sure. :goodjob:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick fly-in to join the chorus congratulating Lav on a monumental anniversary! Lav, may you live long and joyfully.
            Much respect, Steady
            AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning everyone! Haven't been posting as much but I am here reading daily - learning and getting inspiration. The support here is truly incredible! And 5 years....wow....congratulations Lav! Rahul your analogy was perfect. Like you, I am working on my attitude and, most of all, acceptance. Welcome Living Life - stick around, you'll be glad you did!

Sarah your mom may very well react in a way that you expect - be ready for it and how you will respond. You know that drinking will not do anything to change the way she behaves, nothing really can. But since this is something that contributed to you drinking in the past, and you know you will be upset, be ready before you talk to her - you can tell her that it bothers/hurts you that she just focuses on the negative. She is unlikely to change so accepting that and determining how you will respond (tell her how you feel, ignore her and end the conversation, etc.) when she is critical is something you will need to do. And then after your conversation is over...then what? Plan in advance. A nice long walk, take your son somewhere to celebrate, read a book - something other than taking a drink!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters

Thank you for all the shout outs, much appreciated!
                DTD, great coffee mug, thanks! It will go well with these:

I asked Stella for some cake ideas to help us celebrate today & this is what she came up with :H :H

Sarah, I had to accept that some people in my life are chronically negative too. I know how hurtful the are but here's something I was told......'what other people think of me is none of my business'!
                I seriously took that statement to heart & it's provided a 'shield' of sorts against negativity.
                Congrats to your son, be proud of him, you don't need anyone's approval

Wishing everyone a great AF Hump day. I'll be back!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                  I'll have a chick or two (the cake version!!), Lav! Those look yummy! Congrats on this big day of yours...for some reason, I am feeling buoyed, too! (still riding on your coattails, be gentle!!)
                  Enjoy your day, hope you get a little sunshine!!!
                  Here is your Stella Award for outstanding achievement:
                  :chick:

We are proud and honored to know you!!

DTD, where do you come up with those coffee mugs??? You are amazing at picking out just the perfect thing for the occasion!!!

Sarah, when you wrote those words about your mother, I felt a knot in the pit of my stomach. Those words and their tone were my mother's.... Meant to belittle, condemn and rob us of self respect. I am so sorry that these are the cards you've been dealt. When my mom died, I was only 26 and I didn't have a chance to be anything but a victim. Now in my life, I realize that an asshole is an asshole is an asshole. No amount of pleading, begging or psychology is going to change that either, but it can be dealt with. I believe that being an asshole is a character trait. That said, here is how I react today (post AL). I ignore them. A bully wants attention, whether it's negative or positive. They want to be validated...they NEED to find this conflict, they feed off of it. The best way to deal with a bully is to ignore them. Why share this good news with her? If you know the outcome, seek out people who will share your joy! I just don't hang out with negative folks anymore, life is too dam short. Put her on a need to know basis...she may get PO'd that you didn't tell her, but don't let this get to you, tell her you forgot. The Bully (more than anything) wants to CONTROL, and when you act as if they are insignificant, it eats them alive! Bwhahahah.... That's my 2 cents on it, anyway. My heart goes out to you on that one.... On a brighter note, I am so proud of your son!!! That is most excellent news! Maybe one day he will want to be a Tarheel!! Gosh, academic achievement is very rewarding...it'd be great if he could get a scholarship!!! Please give him a hug from Aunt Byrdie!!

Have a great day everyone! Don't let AL rob you of one more day of this precious life we have. Make the most of this second chance!!! xxoo, Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

KENSHO;1641800 wrote: [I]
                    ... the cravings were not terrible, but they were there. Mostly, I am noticing a higher level of clean, clear energy. I highly recommend giving it a try - feels pretty good!
                    I can relate...I thought it would come quicker...but it was at about 3 weeks...that I could have written that sentiment...

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                      Congrats Lav on 5 years. What an accomplishment. I appreciate all the support you have given on this journey.
                      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Love you Lav!!! Thanks for all you do for everyone here...you've saved more people than you know :h:h Give Stella a big ol' kiss for me! :lipstick:
                        :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nester,

Thanks for the wishes. Having quite busy days with lots and lots of work. Not getting time much and wondering I have become a workaholic ... Maybe need to chill a bit. Anyways will be off for a five night vacation with family in Dubai. Flying there on 28th

Of course will be staying sober and look forward to it.

I have been wondering rediscovering life why do people slip back to AL. I intend to protect myself from AL and wonder how can I stay that way.

Good night ...
                          Rahul
                          --------------------------------------------
                          Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                          Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                          Rebooting ... done ...
                          Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Checking in

Hi All... just checking in to make sure my fight doesn't lose steam. Trying to be busy with work this week, as last week was consumed with AL and learning to not need it. I can get through the nights now.. just need to be careful for that sneaky little AL voice. Not looking forward to another weekend because it means yet more work to redefine my typical schedule and plans with family without AL. SO much work this is! Why would I ever go backward and have to do it all over again?

Have a great STRONG day everyone.
                            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all,

Could not sleep so watched this documentary on YouTube. Titled cherry healey : old before. My time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6vEe6eenpg[/video]]Cherry Healey - Old Before My Time - Alcohol Documentary - YouTube

Must watch .... Positive re enforcement ...
                              Rahul
                              --------------------------------------------
                              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                              Rebooting ... done ...
                              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

That's the right attitude Kensho & Rahul!
                                Why would anyone ever want to go thru the angst of another day 1, day 2......
                                Do whatever you have to do to stay on your plan - the results are well worth the effort

Byrdie, I am going to put my Stella Award right up on the mantle, a place of honor
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X