Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

I hope everyone has an umbrella in my end of the nest - it's damp outside :H
    Happy Sunday to everyone!

Kensho, glad your night out was successful!

Congrats to you Ican!
    Acceptance sure does take the pressure off, huh?

BND, honesty is always the best policy. Glad to hear you decided to share your plan with your SO

Greetings DTD & G & everyone!
    Have a great AF day one & all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone,
      I am new and this is my first post. I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and being inspired by everyone. I thought I could do it on my own but drank again last night. I just ordered the book and CDs. I am shaking while writing this as it's so hard to admit I need help.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dila, you have taken a huge first step. We know you are scared of what a future without AL will hold. Please trust me when I say the FEAR of it is much worse than the reality. Not only is it doable, but its a thousand times better. I wouldn't have believed it until I did it. Around here, we operate one day at a time. We are so glad you are here!

Ican! Great to see you! Stay close! Checking in here and staying connected is a small price to pay for freedom!

Have a easy, AF day everyone! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all nice to see you.... Good coffee DTD! Thanks

A comment on weight... I ate sugar and chocolate like crazy for about 6 weeks... I gained about 5-7 lbs although I didn't keep track very much. IMO you have to do whatever you have to do to get over the initial shock to your body and lifestyle .... I mean in my case I was changing my whole evening and all weekends. So I needed some type of comfort. After about 2 months it got easy as I had formed new habits and now I find I am losing a little weight and not enjoying sugar much at all... So hang in there and don't try to overhaul anything but your alkie prob at first

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you Byrdie for the lovely Moons! Kensho, glad your evening went well -- mine, too. A little awkward when my friend tried to buy me a drink, but I pointed to my daughter and said, "I'm sticking to water tonight" and that was the end of that.

Diri, the fear of the first few days is far worse than the actual first few days. IF you have the supplements take those...they really are working for me. I was convinced I'd have the DT's and didn't, just total exhaustion and need for sleep.

And Jennifire, congrats to you as well for 7 days. I'm totally with you on the need to sleep as much as possible. What's up with that, anyway? I expected insomnia, thinking my nervous system would be wired all week without the depressant effect of AL, but I swear I could have slept 15 hours a night if I didn't need to get up to work. I've been taking the supplements and know that L-Glute, GABA and EPO calm the nervous system so maybe that's it?

I didn't tell my husband until this morning that I'd given up drinking last week. He has talked to me many times about his concern that I have a problem, but for the past few years I've been really good at hiding it from him. He goes to bed early (like 8:00) so I'd binge drink after he went to bed, and never go upstairs until midnight or so when he was asleep. But last week I beat him to bed every night and it turns out he was worried there was something very wrong with me! (ha) I still haven't told him I'm an alcoholic, just that I'm trying to get healthy and he accepted that and is happy about it. Eventually I suppose I'll have that conversation, but I'm not ready now. As long as he's supporting me, I'm content.

A happy weekend wish to all of you! :h
            Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Newbies Nest

Tyandra;1643051 wrote:
              I'm also married to an alcoholic who drinks every night without missing a night ever. He has no plans to quit and doesn't want to. This makes it even harder but I know that I can do this. I really want to LIVE my life and I can't do that with alcohol. I know this, but I can't seem to stop drinking longer than 5 days!
              :new:
              Good job on your decision to take care of yourself....I am fortunate in that my DH & I are quitting together. I posted at about 3 weeks that I felt I had turned the corner & no longer felt
              like I was in deprivation mode, feeling that I had lost a buddy..but had moved into gratitude mode thankful for the improved health that come with being AF...but some days I still need to fake it while I make it. These first 30 days have been a bit of a roller coaster, but glad to among this supportive community.

Welcome Dila, Ty, Gardner, Pepper & Ican...and anyone I might have missed, get cozy on your twig.

Thanks Pav, Lead, Ava, PH, NS, LAV, LB and everyone for the tremendous support :h

Comment

Newbies Nest

:welcome: Dila, there's an enormous amount of collective wisdom in the Nest, and lots of support and good advice - and just plain chitchat. Change is scary, but if you keep in mind that it's for the better, it puts everything in a different perspective. join in the fun, and let us know when we can help - there's no need to do this all alone and without support.

Pepper, I'm sure you'll know when the time has come for that conversation. How does it feel to start your second AF week?

It's Sunday, so pop in to JC's https://www.mywayout.org/community/f9...ml#post1643283 When I first joined, I was too ashamed of my paltry number of days to post there, but it's not the number of days that count - it's the pride in what we've achieved.
                14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE, All:

New Dreams! Congratulations on your 30 days!! We do like a good speech here in the nest, so if you're feeling like explaining your strategy, type away.

Hi, thanks for popping in, iCan. I agree - that acceptance that I can never drink again - that I will never drink again - is what allowed me to move forward in a very grateful way. That happens in different ways for different people - for me it was the Thanksgiving Massacre, for others it is mindfulness and meditation, therapy, AA, writing here, whatever it takes. I do think that having a sober community even in the "I feel great" phases is key to avoiding relapse, so do stick close. Besides, we like to see you!

Kensho - way to go, Peppersnow, and Jenni you, too. I agree with iCan about the first month being a roller coaster ride. In fact in the toolbox there is a description from a guy named Gambler about his first 90 days (Gambler Dave, we miss you!) and he uses that analogy. A good read if you haven't already seen it.

Welcome back, Bran. See above re: acceptance, it really does help.

Welcome, Dila, Tya - I still hang tight to the tail feathers of these nest mums - they sure know what they're doing.

Off for a hike. Hang on, Nesters!

xo
                  Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

I missed some great parties in the nest yesterday.

Congratulations avail on 120 days. Huge thank you for all your posts and support here. You are doing wonderful and I wish you all the best.

Jenni and Pepper great job on 7 days. Welcome to your new lives. It does gets easier from this point on.

New Dreams ? 30 days is a huge milestone. Congratulations:goodjob:

Rahul and Lead ? I?m with you on the weight gain issue. Unfortunately, that?s the only way to beat the cravings. I too, gained weight and am working today on my diet plan. I knew I had to get some AF days under my belt before I could even work a diet plan.

Dila- Welcome to the nest. I know it?s tough for you to admit that you have a problem with alcohol but we are all here because of that. Like Byrdie said think one day at time. I wish you luck in your journey. Sober life is beautiful.

Wishing everyone a super AF weekend and week

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just checking in, hope everyone is having a great Sunday, it's a beautiful, blustery, sun-shiney day here in the south. Lav, hope you and all the other nesters in colder regions are getting some warmer weather where you are.

Doing great on Day 3, hearing from some old friends and some new ones as well and it feels great to be surrounded by so much support.

I feel grateful today, thank you all.
                      "A good garden may have some weeds"
                      Thomas Fuller

Comment

Newbies Nest

Chilly rain falling here Gardener - this has been the pattern all winter I'm afraid. Always cold & something falling from the sky :H
                        Glad you are doing well on day 3!

Hello & welcome Dila!
                        Glad you decided to join us
                        There's lots of support here so be sure to check in as often as you can - really helps!

New Dreams, CONGRATS on 30 AF days :wd:
                        What a difference that makes, don't you think?!!
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thank you DreamThinkDo, Pavati, Luckyflower and Lavande. I went shopping and came home and wanted a drink so bad. Logged in instead and read your posts. It made me cry. Feels so good to be able to speak to people who understand.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Big Congrats to Peppersnow and Kensho. Great job! Also to all of the other posters that had another successful sober night. :goodjob:
                            One thing I have noticed is that most folks have mates. I am not in that situation, not entirely by choice, but not a story for now. One of the reasons I keep harping on sleeping all of the time is I am a life-long insomniac; since I was 9 years old. So this sleeping is very weird for me. I got up at 10 today, felt pretty good, did some cleaning, went out to do some errands, and the first place I went they informed me today is Sunday?. I came straight home in shock. This has never happened to me. Not before or while drinking.
                            Guess I?ll add another 50mg Thiamine to the 50Mg in the MWO regimen. My Dr. says 100mg/day helps
                            Prevent Wernicke-Korsakoff Syndrome. Sure open to any other ideas. Meanwhile, going to walk down to the river. It?s a breezy 49? and they?ve made it pretty much jump ?proof.

Later,
                            Be Well,

Jenn
                            The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes....Marcel Proust

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                              Busy day. Church then to the store where i bought my tablet so the fellow could show me how do do a few things. It is a toy but I really like it. Will be great for traveling so I dont have to drag my laptop and the laptop has way too much personal info on it. Plan to keep tablet in toy mode....and lots of games.
                              Got p to 54 today and the sun was out. stopped by the garden center to get a flower fix. Looking forward to my garden this summer!!
                              Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Yawwn ... Long day ... Still sober ..

Available congrats

Ican hold on there ...
                                Rahul
                                --------------------------------------------
                                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                                Rebooting ... done ...
                                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X