Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Byrd i have definitely got this in the pocket and front and top also.

Dot i have a bit of room in my suitcase so jump in. Doing nothing is okay, i try and do that on the weekend other than my 3 tasks i set myself. Send them gremlins my way. I am sure my house will look horrendous until about 4 hours before i get home then the boys will motivate and it will be sparkling.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Vacation is getting over in Dubai. Going back home tomorrow ... Went out with a friend tonite left family in hotel as they were too tired today ... This friend took me to a bar ... Live band , music, smoke and beers ... I hated the place ... Hated the smoke. Didn't feel like drinking. Saw him gulp down 4 to 5 beers big ones while I was on diet coke.

Dubai is a paradice if you want to remain sobee . there are no licquer shops, no booze at gas station, public boozing is prohibited by law. Malls, restaurants cannot serve beer in open. Public places - airports etc no booze. I infact last 5 days to moving I didn't even saw a single BAR. I was in biggest of the biggest malls .. Highest building like Burn Khalifa .. You just dont see booze flowing around. No chance of temptation.

Yes if you ARE looking for drinking you will find a place but its just not out in open. I have been drinking for so long that I always you to find places like these sickimg were you can't find beer easily. But seeing Dubai and no booze around has changed my thoughts ... It is so good for society. You dont see the brain washing that you need booze to enjoy. Its not in open ..

Found a hell lot of smoking and hooka though ...
      Rahul
      --------------------------------------------
      Rewiring my brain ... done ...
      Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
      Rebooting ... done ...
      Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahul, now I really need that holiday. We had a short stay in Dubai in 2010 (when my wife & I were still together). We arrived late afternoon, so after checkingin at our motel, and some shopping, we decided to go and have a beer. It was 5 pm. There were 3 barmen standing at the bar, doing nothing, and the place was empty. I asked for some beers and he told me no alcohol until 6 pm. I laughed! I was embarrassed. I felt like such a desperate drunk, LOL!!

I agree about the conservative al laws, I would love to return there. I think I would appreciate the conservative drinking laws there, a whole lot more now. It's a fabulous place.

Ironically, when we flew out ( the biggest airport I've ever seen by the way!) the bars were open at 8.00 am. Go figure. Maybe things have changed since then.

Glad to see you staying strong Rahul. We're going well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Sounds like everyone is toeing the line & doing great

Ava, wishing you safe travels! Come back with some nice pics & happy stories to share

Dottie, the crappy days come & they go.
          Worrying about the dust & the dog hair in my house is not a big priority for me right either - now worries

Greetings to all & wishes for a safe night in the nest for everyone!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Nesters--

Rahul, glad you made ANOTHER vacation/work trip without alcohol. You sound great. Where I live smoking is very, very rare. No smoking in public indoor places anywhere, and even within 1,000 feet of a doorway. I can go to parties with booze and bands and literally zero people smoking. I understand the problems with laws against alcohol (see prohibition and the illegal activity that came from it), but I think with smoking laws were coupled with a lot of education about how bad it is. I'd like to see something like that with alcohol - appeal to the health craze.

Fiddy, believe it or not I actually look forward to af weekends now. Instead of happy hour I do a Friday evening yoga class, and then I look forward to sleeping in - the restful, deep sleep that comes from an alcohol-free sleep, as opposed to the anxious, GSR, 3am awakenings that I used to have. It WILL get better.

Dot - doing nothing productive once in a while is GOOD for you. Enjoy it - I know you'll be back at the gym and cooking great vegan food in no time. And send those gremlins my way, too!

Petrel - sounding great and relaxed. I finally got into running last year (after trying and hating it many times before), but I messed up my knee skiing and haven't been able to go back. I love the meditation aspect of it and really don't think there is a replacement. I'll get back eventually, I hope.

Byrdie - SOBER is now in my journal. Thanks for sharing. I know you have before, but as we know around here, sometimes it takes a while for things to stick...

Kensho - I told folks that I was just trying to get healthy at first. Even my hearty drinking friends and family appreciated taking a break from alcohol, and they actually admire me for being so strong. You may be surprised...

Frances, how are you?

Ava, we'll miss you. You know you'd have me to answer to if you drink, and I don't want to have to fly to Melbourne in April, so I know you'll stay strong. I hope your mom is proud of you but fark her if she's not...

OK, I am off to cook dinner for the family. My pledge to myself is to get off my computer earlier tonight and actually get to sleep at a decent hour. Stay strong, Nest.

xo
            Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sitting here feeling like a fool for drinking for so long. Feeling like a fool b/c I still think drinking is an option/a temporary escape from this F&%$# up world. Hostile work environment and stress are major issues. Life is tough and AL has always been my silent friend to help me through. This 'friend' comes to me always in times of need. Friend has turned to foe and only a fool would not see that it never was a friend. I don't particularly like the way life looks w/o the occasional haze to obscure my sight from what I see. Yes in case you couldn't tell I'm a little down right now. The only positive things I can think of at the moment are $$ and brain cells saved over past 50 days. Think I will lite a candle and ride my stationary bike a bit. Hope I don't sound like too big a fool on this foolish day.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Hypernova

I'm sorry you're having a bad day on one that is a great achievement :l.

I also used alcohol to numb myself from things I didn't want to see or experience. And it worked. But I also gave up eagerness, joy, contentment, excitement - all the good stuff was numbed, too, leaving me with such a narrow emotional range. Giving up happiness is too high of a price for avoiding pain. It it so much better to truly live your life - all of it.

Whatever is bothering you right now can only be masked by alcohol. It will still be there in the morning, and worsened by all the fall out from drinking. There is always a better choice and you're making one by riding your bike instead. :h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks NS!! I appreciate your words and know you are right. Life just sneaks up sometimes and overwhelms. Alcohol always greased the rails and made things 'seem' okay. I will get on fine just need to find patience and a way to be kind to myself. Love the forum and just like to thank you again for your insight.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All . Just a quick fly past , i'm still here , still strong and back to feeling 100 % . Ready to take on the world again , B N D .
                    Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                    Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

It's wet wet wet in my part of the Nest (was that not a boy band?) I had my first cup in the Army, but need another one - and isn't it clever how this mug actually hooks over your perch! Love the creative people who design the Nest's coffee mugs! (And I looooove Smarties!)

Hyper, don't beat yourself up for drinking - give yourself a huge pat on the back for quitting, and enjoy the candles and exercise! You've had a lot of sober days since you started here in Jan - well done on 50 days! I know that pity parties are not recommended here, but I've found a five minute one followed by an honest comparison of life before and after puts the smile back in my life. And remember, everybody goes through bad patches and regrets for thing done or not done - we somebody relate everything to drinking/quitting, instead of seeing things for what they are - part of life. As Lav said, crappy days come and go.

Rahul, this was your second sober family holiday, was it not? Keep it going!

Dottie, I know you're trying to clear the house for your big birthday - instead of seeing that whole house, see just a portion of a room that needs clearing; achievable baby steps are so much less overwhelming than a marathon clearing session. I'm right behind Ava in the cleaning-gremlin queue, please.

And Ava, you must have an absolutely wonderful holiday and a lovely birthday - and don't let things (aka your mum) get to you. I think everybody's envious of you - enjoy it for us as well!

Kensho, you don't have to tell your family anything, if you don't feel like it - enjoy the weekend!

Lots of things to do today - work work and house stuff, but looking forward to friends coming over for after-work coffee. One of them is really well-trained - she always brings something sweet to have with our coffee - just love her for that!

Everybody, have a lovely AF Hump Day!
                      14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hyper it does get easier and i also had days where i thought whats the point, but at the end of the day is that life is so much better without al in it. I never want another hangover as long as i breathe in and out, i never want to feel the guilt and shame and remorse i had when i drank, i never want to wake up to another day waiting till 5pm so i can drink again, i never want to disappoint my children like i did. My problem when i stopped drinking was "what do i do now", this is it, this is my life forever but as time goes on this new life is good, very good. I amuse myself in other ways now, to others it may not be fun but to me drinking was not fun either. Drinking is not an option for an alcoholic Hyper, i wish i could but i cant. i was talking to my daughter today about my 50th and how i would love a champagne to celebrate and i then looked at her and said "but i know i can never drink again" and she just looked at me and said "mum i think you have drank more than enough". So true.
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Rain due here later as well - April showers bring May flowers

Hyper, we've all had those down moments wishing we could undo the past, we simply cannot. Consider it for what it is - history!! That was then & this is now! We are one a bright, new & clear-headed path where anything is possible. Don't waste your time & energy dwelling on the past, it's over

Ava, you're leaving today? Wishing you a wonderful & safe trip!!

Greetings to all & sending wishes for a wonderful AF Wednesday!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                            Hitting the road today for business. I have a big presentation tomorrow in front of IT people and I'm so nervous I got no spit (like in JAWS when Richard Dryfus was going down in that shark cage). Nothing to do but to do it.
                            Hope everyone has a great day. Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Brydie,

I was making a client presentation a few years ago - 50 people in the boardroom inc the client COB. Part way through, the Chairman tells me my data is wrong. (It was their data I was reporting on!!). Obviously I couldn't say that to the COB. So, I looked him right in the eyes, and in all seriousness I said, "I'd like to phone a friend." Hee Hee - everyone laughed and then one of his direct reports said my analysis was correct. Humor is the best medicine sometimes. Good luck with you presentation!
                              Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning - I can't think of anything interesting to share or say, just checking in to keep myself accountable. Day 11 for me today, both AF and NS (I decided to quit both the same moment). The fatigue has lifted, finally, so I guess that's something. And I'm still alive, sane, and actually not plagued with self-loathing all day, which is even nicer.

Have a nice last few days of the week, all!

Gratefully AF and NF since March 23, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X