Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
    So good to see everyone! Mick popping in! He writes the way he talks, I just love it!
    Available, we are all jealous of your holiday....I've heard of them, and one of these days I'm going to take one! Moms will be moms.....

New Dreams, getting right back up on the sober wagon is what it's all about. Do I wish I had gotten it right on the first or even the 50th try? You bet I do! I'd have saved myself a TON of grief (and my hubs). If you can take something away from it then the lesson won't be lost. I'm sure for you (as it was for me) NOT worth what we gave up. It only takes a day or two to get your mojo back, so climb back up and get going, no time to waste! Hugs.

Jane, what an interesting question! I was hoping one of the others would get to this before I did!! Remember my hubs gave me ONE LAST chance, so I knew this one had to stick. So I sort of started out with that in mind....but thought as I went along, I might be able to reintroduce it, but I would worry about that later (the Scarlett O'Hara Approach). As each sober day passed, and I would read more and more posts here in the nest and over time, it just became abundantly apparent that AL and I had split for good. If I had seen one incidence of someone succeeding it might have been different, but to this day, I have not seen a single case....not one. Ever. I think once I hit 100 days in MY mind, at least, it was a permanent thing. I have heard that true acceptance for an addict doesn't come until about the 2 year mark. Hindsight is a wonderful gift....but I can say that at each milestone (100 days, 6 months, a year) I had pretty much accepted the NEVER thing....but at about 2 years is when I believed it to the core. AND, mercifully, the pull of it was gone! I think that's when a good solid hatred of it came in. There is a fine line between love and hate, as you know. After those 2 years, I really see AL for theToxic DRUG it is (to me). It is not appealing to me in any way. I have learned other coping skills and rewards for myself. It is an eye opening journey. At each stage of the way, deep down I knew that my relationship with AL was toxic, but I think FULL acceptance of NEVER came around 2 years. I don't say that to discourage anyone...but this is a process. We didn't get here overnight and it takes a while to get completely out of it. But 2 years compared to the 30 (and in particular, the last 10 I lost to AL) is a small chuck of time. It was a great investment, and I only wish I had done it sooner. I look down at the scars on my legs from falls and shaving accidents I had (looks like I shaved with a chain saw). I just cringe. Those are just the outward scars, there are many more on the inside that no one can see. The things I accepted so I could drink....just appalling now. But that's in the past, and I am only moving forward! Maybe you will get a shorter, better answer from Lav, Mick, NS and K9!!
    Happy Friday, all! It's just another day, not a ticket to Boozeville! Stay strong, you'll never regret it!! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane27;1644852 wrote:
      when does the decision to never drink again happen? What precipitates it, and what changed within to create the knowledge that no AL at all ever, is the only way to beat it?
      Hi, Jane

The best analogy I can make is to love. You can't set out to deliberately find it or make it happen but you can live your life in a way so that you are open to it coming to you.

I got to that point by reading as much as I could here and in books and trying to encourage others by posting. All of my words, of course, were aimed at helping the person I was writing to choose not to drink. But while I wrote to them, I was reinforcing those beliefs in myself -- rewiring, brainwashing, whatever goes on.

I also was (and am) constantly aware of and very grateful for the positive changes in my life and I think about how the event would have unfolded if I had been drinking --- there has not been a single incident that would have been better.

One day after ~ 30 days I realized that what I was writing to others was truly in my heart -- I wasn't just saying what I was "supposed to say" to someone looking for help on a stop-drinking website. I was in love with the idea of never again drinking.

I still didn't quite know I how I was going to manage that - and there were plenty of ups and downs and times I needed my MWO friends - but the overall plan was clear and I knew I would do whatever it took each day to achieve it. That's still how I operate but over time, it has become easier and easier not to drink each day to the point that the only time I even think about AL is when I'm offered some and decline or I'm on here, doing whatever I can to help even one person make this transition.

xx, NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Dreams;1644857 wrote: Good for you Pepper...I blew it yesterday. But the rest of bottle went down the drain this morning. Back to day 1
        Hi, ND

Until you're really, really secure in your AFhood, keeping AL out of the house is such a good thing to do. Congratulations on pouring the rest down. Didn't the smell just turn your stomach? I had to pour out the rest of someone else's bottle of wine the other morning and the feelings that rushed back when I smelled that smell were almost overwhelming. It was such a good reminder of where I never want to be again.

Do you know what happened last evening and what you need to adjust in your plan to avoid it happening again? If you need help refining your plan, put it out here - I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions to choose from .

This can be your last day 1. Margaret has a really great quote in her tagline --something like "A year from now you'll really be wishing you had started today".

To get this done, we've got to be long-range thinkers. The quick, easy, tried-and-true fix for everything can no longer be an option.

:h NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all , This is so much easier with the support of my partner , I think for the first time in 30 years I've spent more time sober than drinking so far this year , Actually probably more days sober than the last 20 years , and lifes looking just grand :-] B N D
          Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
          Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi all,
            Off to get beautified....hair done and toes painted....a little ME time....much needed ME time...
            Back later.
            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

hiya Jane...interesting question....how long before you realise ..i dont think you can pit a time limit on it...this is going to sound daft ..but the longer you do without al the easier it becomes...but also the harder it gets...Ill explain that ....
              lets start with the quit....its easier not to drink,cant be bothered with the hassle headaches letting people down,guilt ,loss of pride.so that bit is fine ..if the thought of a drink enters my head ,I kind of laugh and dismiss it...
              the flip side is ...as time without al passes and lengthens,then the skills you initially honed up in the early days of quitting are not used quite so much ergo then not so sharp.you can never dismiss booze as complacency and conditioning take on numerous disguises...so you must always be aware..in the early days,the thought of never drinking again worried scared frightened me...its a hard thing to sit and think that you are never going to drink al again on this planet..and yet now I would be seriously cheesed off if I did..so despite all the ramblings here ,in answer to your question ,I dont think there is a time limit..for byrdie it was 2 years, mine was considerably shorter....what I will say you will know soon enough when that happens..your whole outlook changes particularily from dont need to dont want
              af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane -
                A lot of things over the years should have been my "bottom", but they never made me quit. I remember the morning of 12/26/11...laying in bed with a hangover, crying, feeling like the world was crashing down on me, and I said "I just CAN'T do this anymore". Some of you may know that about a month ago a had a setback...I drank. ONE NIGHT was all it took to convince me that my old life is over. I NEVER want to feel that again. In early sobriety I read and watched everything I could about this disease. As the days and months racked up, I felt so much better mentally, physically and spiritually. I feel like I've been given a second chance at life. The one I was living before was HELL. It's hard to explain and put into words, but you JUST KNOW when you're done. I probably didn't answer your question...but that's all I can come up with. LOL How are you doing these days?

Have a great weekend everyone! Remember: A craving will never last as long as a hangover, and you'll NEVER wake up in the morning wishing you'd drank the night before!

Now get out there and do your best friend!! (As G-Man would say) :H
                :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters

I didn't check in for 3 days being super busy. It my day off and I am going through a few pages here.

I can ? You wrote a post addressed to Taya. It was super honest and so inspiring. I love your rose analogy and the whole post- you took us back in your time, amazing.

Byrdie- I loved your reply to Jane. The apparent and inside scars really spoke to me. Looking back and thinking at the cost of drinking? I?m speechless

Mick- Just read your comment. Don?t need/ want. Inspiring frame of mind.

Wishing everyone a beautiful AF weekend:hug:

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am so sick of myself, I don't know what to do. I feel hopeless. I am sorry I have not been able to help anyone out and I am sorry to be such a loser. Day 1.
                    :heartbeat:

Star:star:

08-13-15

I am only one drink away from never being sober again.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome back, Star. You've been missed.
                      :l NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome back Star!

If you are sick of the way things are, there is only one thing to do....change! Is it easy? NO. Is it worth it? YES...a million times YES. You will never regret quitting drinking. But think of everything you regret BECAUSE of drinking....

How can we help you today? Do you have a plan to keep yourself busy? Stick close to us.

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just have lost all faith in myself. I am so sick of hurting my self and my family. I am sick of being sick.

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sounds like you're ready Star. What do you plan to do different this time? Will your family support you in your decision to stop drinking?

Comment

Newbies Nest

I don't know what to do, K9. I just keep failing. I can't trust myself. Sorry to be such a downer. My family does not understand the disease. Yes they want me to stop drinking, but they don't have faith in me either. Who could blame them?

08-13-15

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks, ladies.

08-13-15

Comment

Working...
                                X