X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

LOL Jane! Yes, exactly. It looks like I'm moving. And I'm not :H
    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
      Internet issues...spent over an hour on the phone with the tech support...they treat me like I am an idiot...I was in IT for 20 years.....give me a break already....but it is now fixed and I am back on line...
      Raining like crazy today but we did make it to the gym..but I didnt get to have any breakfast first so my stamina was not great....will make up for it later...or not..
      Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

frances;1645767 wrote: Hi everyone - hope you are all well!

Rahul - just curious - after the drink at the mexican restaurant 6 months ago, how quickly did everything get back to your old habits? Did you just give up or did you think you could moderate? I need to be reminded how the mind can play tricks on you.

Frances,

Let me describe my mental state before and after I walked into the Mexican restaurant. I had plans to go to NYC, Indiana, Las Vegas, brussels in one of the business trip last year. I do this kind of trip at least once a year. Deep inside I knew I will allow myself a drink or two once I reach New York. I love New York, am a big fan of blues and couple of bars in village is something I look forward to every time I go there. It was like a tradition since last 6 years I have been going there. So before going I was already proud of myself for being sober for 44 days and decided to give AL a try.

I remember Brydlady telling me and warning me about that there are no vacations from sobriety ... Here was her PM back in September 2013 :

Hey Rahul! You are doing so well!! Your upcoming vacation reminds me of another member who had several months racked up and decided to take a vacation from sobriety. I didn't want to mention his name in the nest. If you have time search for xxxx... This has happened more times than I can count. There is no vacation from recovery. I hope you will find time to read thru his predicament....and he has not been able to get back up on the horse since. Protect your quit with all you've got! Hugs to you and keep at it! It gets so much easier, I promise!
        There are no vacations from sobriety and even referred me to an old tread about someone who has been struggling taking breaks from AL and living a miserable life.

But I didn't listen to her ...

I fell ... For few days of my trip I did moderate but then boom by the time I reached vegas it was daily drinking. I used to take a carry bag with cans of beer and literally walked on street like a drunk ...(well I was one). The last day when I had my flight to brussels I didn't sleep at all ..drank the whole night till morning took the flight and collapsed on the plane ...

For next 6 months I drank like never before ... Every morning used to wake up with dry throat ... Etc etc ...it was just terrible time.

To answer your question it took me just 5 to 6 days back to where I was ... And in those 5 to 6 days I knew I can drink, I wanted to drink but was "controlling" myself ... Making myself feel miserable.

Today I don't want to drink
        ... I guess that's the difference complete
        abstinence brings ...

I was still checking checking the posts on MWO. I remember paviti came just few days after I fell in the pit and so glad to see that she is now an inspiration to all ...

If someone was reading y posts during that time they were posts of helplessness, utter guilt, misery, depression.

To be honest I will be going to deusseldorf , Germany next month. That's one place where I have good old memories ... o drinking beer.... I am building myself strong to stay sober ... I want to experience the place with sober eyes ...
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1646048 wrote: Today I don't want to drink ... I guess that's the difference complete abstinence brings ...
          Rahul, you hit the nail soooooooooooo on the head!
          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Rahulthesweet;1646048 wrote: Frances,

Let me describe my mental state before and after I walked into the Mexican restaurant. I had plans to go to NYC, Indiana, Las Vegas, brussels in one of the business trip last year. I do this kind of trip at least once a year. Deep inside I knew I will allow myself a drink or two once I reach New York. I love New York, am a big fan of blues and couple of bars in village is something I look forward to every time I go there. It was like a tradition since last 6 years I have been going there. So before going I was already proud of myself for being sober for 44 days and decided to give AL a try.

I remember Brydlady telling me and warning me about that there are no vacations from sobriety ... Here was her PM back in September 2013 :

Hey Rahul! You are doing so well!! Your upcoming vacation reminds me of another member who had several months racked up and decided to take a vacation from sobriety. I didn't want to mention his name in the nest. If you have time search for xxxx... This has happened more times than I can count. There is no vacation from recovery. I hope you will find time to read thru his predicament....and he has not been able to get back up on the horse since. Protect your quit with all you've got! Hugs to you and keep at it! It gets so much easier, I promise!
            There are no vacations from sobriety and even referred me to an old tread about someone who has been struggling taking breaks from AL and living a miserable life.

But I didn't listen to her ...

I fell ... For few days of my trip I did moderate but then boom by the time I reached vegas it was daily drinking. I used to take a carry bag with cans of beer and literally walked on street like a drunk ...(well I was one). The last day when I had my flight to brussels I didn't sleep at all ..drank the whole night till morning took the flight and collapsed on the plane ...

For next 6 months I drank like never before ... Every morning used to wake up with dry throat ... Etc etc ...it was just terrible time.

To answer your question it took me just 5 to 6 days back to where I was ... And in those 5 to 6 days I knew I can drink, I wanted to drink but was "controlling" myself ... Making myself feel miserable.

Today I don't want to drink
            ... I guess that's the difference complete
            abstinence brings ...

I was still checking checking the posts on MWO. I remember paviti came just few days after I fell in the pit and so glad to see that she is now an inspiration to all ...

If someone was reading y posts during that time they were posts of helplessness, utter guilt, misery, depression.

To be honest I will be going to deusseldorf , Germany next month. That's one place where I have good old memories ... o drinking beer.... I am building myself strong to stay sober ... I want to experience the place with sober eyes ...
            Rahul, you kept my message! That is so sweet!! Thank you for that!! xo, B
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

I'm a very new newbie and plan on having:new my first night with out a drink in probably 2-3 years. Any tips would be much appreciated!

Comment

Newbies Nest

New horizon: EAT! Eat whatever you want and whatever amount you want. Then get on here and read, watch alcohol documentaries on YouTube, whatever you need. Take hot bath, exercise, walk... You can do it

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey New Horizons! Be sure to check out the Tool Box, link is in my signature line below!! So glad you found the nest...there is 7 years of experience in this thread alone! Do not be ashamed or embarrassed! Odds are we have seen/heard/done it before ourselves! So glad you are here! Byrdie
                  All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

New Horizons,

Here's a documentary you can check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dJ97Vwoup4&hd=1[/video]]Drugged - High On Alcohol - YouTube

I will try to post more as I remember them, and find them (remembering will be the hard part..lol)
                    :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks all! I'm pretty scared. When I used to drink every other day or every two days I had a few bouts of pancreatitis (sp) and it was pretty painful. I think I'll eat a big dinner tonight and maybe some soups and such tomorrow or small snacking all day long. I read somewhere that day 2 of not drinking is when the attacks come on. I haven't eaten an egg in 3 years because that's what would trigger the attack. One egg burrito sent me to the ER. Of course I was only a recreational drinker. I'm hoping that I can get past day 2 without the pain.

Comment

Newbies Nest

K9 - I'll give that a watch, thanks!! I LOVE documentaries

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Hello & welcome new horizon!
                          So glad you decided to join us We're a friendly bunch so just settle in & make yourself comfortable. My medical background reminds me.....avoid high fat & spicy foods when you have a Hx of Pancreatitis Wishing you the best!

Jane, fresh brown eggs are delicious, healthier too (if you can eat them).
                          I feed my hens organic feed & they sure pay me back
                          I did not have a meatless Monday because I was itching for a pot of chicken Florentine soup (using a store bought chicken of course) :H

Wishing everyone a great AF evening & safe night in the nest!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well all going well , but tonight is the test . My partner is away overnight on a business trip so am home alone which is when the " just one last night with a few wines " thoughts kick in .
                            So I better organize something to keep busy through the 6 - 9 pm slot . After 9 i'm usually too tired to be bothered and realize I won't have time to get a skinful .
                            Hope everyones having a good day ! BND
                            Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                            Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE

Byrd i have the most tickilish feet also and everyday i am sitting there laughing away, the thai ladies love it. me i am loving it too and laughter is a great medicine.

BND when i stopped drinking i changed my shopping routine so that i went to the shops on my way to work so i did not have an excuse to stop and buy al after work and i drove straight home. it was hard as the car seemed to want to auto pilot to the bottlo but i did it. then when the witching hour hit i walked around and around and around till it went.

NH welcome to the nest, the first week af is not easy but to achieve 7 days is a great feeling. Everyday sober is a good day. I never thought i would get to 100+ but here i am and on holidays in thailand and not drinking.

I have been thinking, mmm not good i know but why is it that when mwoer's get to the 30 to 40 day mark that the horrible thoughts of moderating come in? i have been reading on mwo and it seems that a fair amount of people (no offense at all) seem to fall off or away. i fell the last time at 40+ days as i had that moderating thought although this last time i realised that i had to just accept that i can never drink again and i dont want to drink again. After 50 days i was fine but those al thoughts were a bitch especially when i thought i was over the worst of it.

well off for the free breaky and then maybe a swim and then a back, neck and shoulder massage. oh i need more money. everything is so cheap, i will never need a massage again the way i am going and mum is so keen again to go although she is getting a pedicure.

I woke this morning at 4.30am and had to force myself to go back to sleep. i knew if i stayed awake i would be anyones by the afternoon and i would take it out on mum. I am learning i must say and being clear headed makes it so much easier.

xx
                              AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

six minutes past four in the morning and I feel utterly full of shame and despair...... alcohol has brought me to my knees I pray that I can get better, thanks to everyone on here who has helped me so far
                                New life started on 1st May 2014, One day at a time I will work at continuing it forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X