Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

frances;1647317 wrote: Or even better, how I came to ACCEPT that I can never drink again!
    Hi, Frances

It helped me to step back and look at all of this as if it were an academic challenge rather than a personal problem. It has been fascinating to learn about the science of addiction and the effects of alcohol. If any medicine were prescribed to me or food/beverage suggested that had the same known risks and benefits of alcohol, there is no way that I would take it.

The Allan Carr and Jason Vale books are brilliant at portraying alcohol as a poison that no one in their right minds would consume. Here is a pretty good and somewhat more objectively written summary: There is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol consumption | Professor David Nutt | Science | theguardian.com.

So, the fact is, everyone probably would be better off not drinking. But alcohol consumption is considered normal and actively promoted in our society - both by industries that benefit and by people who themselves enjoy it and don't want it to be considered a bad thing -- it is in all of their interests for the problem to be us (the self-identified addicts) rather than the addictive substance per se.

I'm too busy working on myself right now to try to change the world but we can hope that over time, the same forces that pushed tobacco past the tipping point and the truth came out about the manipulation of the public by the tobacco companies will become stronger on this front, also (and on the food industry Big Sugar's Sweet Little Lies | Mother Jones).

I think the more you learn about the subject, the happier you'll be that it's out of your life. You'll not only accept that you can't drink, you'll be glad you don't have to.

You're doing so well - no reason to do anything different today or tomorrow or... EVER! NS

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie - I love your completely unwavering always consistent message! Thank you for your guidance and advice, and for sharing your experience objectively.

NS, I like that approach- the more educated we are about the substances we choose to (or not to) put in our body, the better!

And thanks DTD and everyone who is always so supportive here!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

I came back home today. Sober enjoyed a cup of coffee on board the 2 hour flight. Normally in this kind of trip in evening flights I would start drinking on way to airport in taxi, top it up at the airport before security, then after security , then in the flight, upon landing grab few cans and drink all the way till I would collapse home.

It make me feel sick what I used to do very freakin day when I used to travel. While I had strong temptations yesterday I didn't have the same ones today.

No sugar, I did indulged into ice creams yesterday and today. And my triglycerides have been always out for as long as I remember which I am sure due to beers which I have been drinking. I plan on reducing my weight now and Start heating healthy. Keeping empty stomach is not advisable as the AL beast needs to be tamed. I also bought Alan Carrs easy way to reduce weight ... Let see what the books all about and is as good as it is about AL. I am probably also addicted to junk food. In fact I used to eat a lot of crap before I started drinking so maybe it is worthwhile to stop it in reverse order.

I am also noticing lots of healthy people my age, slim and lean and I want to look fit. I want to leave Al behind ...

Byrdlady, thanks for advice.
        Rahul
        --------------------------------------------
        Rewiring my brain ... done ...
        Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
        Rebooting ... done ...
        Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello all,

just checking in. Glad to see many of familiar faces and many new ones. This is just a quick hell to my old friends here and also to keep the new MWOs on the right path.

I am approaching 600 days sober. I remember when I first joined asking Byrdie how she felt after being AF for so long. And everything she told me is right. It does get easier. I have never regretted this decision and don't feel like I miss out on anything like I did in the first few months.

However, a few times this month I realised how quickly you can loose it all. Never take your sobriety for granted and like Byrdie says "protect your quit at any price".

We have had a few very hot weekends in the UK this month. I would spend some weekends with my friends, we would go out in the day time. Visit markets, go shopping, have barbeques, and afterwards we would usually end up in a pub. This is nothing new to me, as I have been going to bars and clubs since my initial 30 AF days of complete isolation. But I almost ordered a drink a couple of times. Not because I wanted to drink but because I was thirsty and they didn't have anything else to drink at the bar apart from alcohol and water.

On both occasions I quickly realised what was going on and snapped myself out of it. But it amazes me that after 600 days I am still just one drink away from disaster and it does scare me a little (ok, that's a lie, it scares me a lot).

So no, you don't crave alcohol after so much time. However, a simple mistake like drinking out of thirst, or hunger can really set you back.

Stay on course everyone!

Allan
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane27;1647362 wrote: I'm not ruling out a laminated, wallet sized photo of Byrd with her tag line underneath it. You know, just to have in my night side table. Just kidding! But I agree with you Frances. Unwavering & consistent and in a very positive, encouraging , non punitive manner.

Punitive is such a smarty pants word. I love it.
            Thank you! Punitive IS a great word, it reminds me of impunity, which is also fun to use!

I know I preach the same old things over and over (I do try to make them fresh daily) but I think it's sticking!! Go out and enjoy your AF life with IMPUNTIY!!!!!! Weeeeeee!
            Thanks yall, so good to see you AllanKay. Yes, I operate out of fear, too, scary to think we are one drink away from disaster, but it also keeps us sharp! Let me know when you ARE 600 days so I can fish out a prize for you! That is just awesome!!! XXOO!!! Byrdie
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Darkest Diamond, sending out feelers for you. Please clean out your PM box! I wanna say hello!! Hope all is well, Byrdie
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

100 days AF

If you would have asked me 1 year ago if I could make it 100 days I would have said no. It wasn't for lack of trying because I did. Before I found MWO I had already tried to moderate and in my heart I knew it wouldn't work. In December I decided (after taking yet another alcoholic quiz) that it was time to tame the beast. I set New Years eve as the last day I would EVER drink again. I don't remeber much of December because I drank from morning until pass out time at night. I found MWO on January 2 while looking for some sort of drug or herb that would take away the craving. I found out that I didn't need the drug just the advice from the Nest Mothers. I didn't post much because I can't do this from home (wife doesn't understand) and have very limited time at work but I was able to do some reading. I used some of Byrdlady's advice about treating it like a peanut allergy and also realised after reading here that I did alot of "drinking at people". This place has been instrumental in my staying sober. Thanks to everyone here and to all who are just starting Listen to the sage advice these people know what they are talking about. I have been struggling with al for almost 30 years it is great to finally be sober. I firmly believe that I wouldn't have been able to make without MWO! Life looks so much better sober! :thanks:

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoMoreJim, thank you so much for those wonderful words. MWO is an amazing place. Your 100 day prize is THE BIRD! :finger: This is for telling AL to GET LOST (or worse!). Thank you for that speech, I didn't realize you were limited in your opportunities to post...We are so glad you are here and finding success! Hugs, Byrdie
                  Tool Box
                  Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrd you are an inspiration.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NoMoreJim and Allan - You are both doing SOOOO great, and I am proud of you!!! :l
                      :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

NoMoreJim & AllanKay, CONGRATS to both of you on your AF time :wd:
                        Living with a clear head & no regrets is awesome!!!!!!!

I had a nice afternoon out with my son & grandsons. Sunny & decent weather is finally here & we took full advantage

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest! Hang on, you'll have nothing to regret

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Wow, 600 and 100? That's fantastic. Can you give us a list of things that are great maybe? May be helpful to us.

Comment

Newbies Nest

NMJ 100 days congratulations on that one. I like you did not feel that i could achieve 100 days after a 30 year drinking career but doesnt it feel great to embark on a new sober life. Keep up the good work and always be vigilant against al.

Alan 600 days, fantastic work and well done. thank you for sharing that we always need to be on the look out with al even as time goes on. Its great though not to think about al daily and to focus on the good things in our life.
                            AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nester

Nighty night for me at the end of day 7 again!

I'm too lazy right now & find the post in thread where someone was talking about being sick...that has been one of my triggers...I liked to think of flavored brandy as medicine when I've got a cold or flu...I think that is why I fell off at day 34...

Was feeling under the weather & just caved...need to find a better strategy.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Allankey : wow 600 days !! Great. Tell how do you see Alcohol after being sober for so long ? Do you see at an old friend you miss but can't have or something else ?

Nomorejim : I bet after 100 days your wife must have noticed that you are not drinking! How is she talking it. I am in a similar situation as my wife does not what all struggle I have been and continue to be in.

Byrdlady you have changed lives and continue to do so ... Here one salute to you.
                                Rahul
                                --------------------------------------------
                                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                                Rebooting ... done ...
                                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X