Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Rahul,
    I took Badminton in college hoping for an easy A! Unfortunately, I was in a class with the football team....it nearly kicked my arse! I barely got out with a D!! It was awful! They would SLAM that shuttlecock (Byrdie) back at me, I had welts where it hit me!! Holy Moly, what a long semester THAT was! I hardly remember returning any shots back over the net. I'm not very athletic...B
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone. Start of day 9 here, and feeling good.

Hi to all the new faces and good luck. This is definitely the place to be to beat alcoholism. This is my second attempt after a minor slip up at day 38 last time. I'm feeling good. I won't say I don't get cravings, because I do, but they seem easy enough to ignore.

My marathon preparation is going well, and is a very powerful distraction for me. For what it's worth, I think keeping busy on fun, positive and beneficial goals in life is a very useful tool in fighting AL. For me, boredom is the greatest threat.

Stay strong everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

jane27;1648998 wrote: Byrdie, Was there sweating with the badminton? Isn't badminton so weird sounding? I want to spoonerism it into Bandminton but hate to give up the "bad'" part. (Is there goodminton? Or Good Mitten?)

We need to play Band Mitten in this life time, and we need to be serious about it. It will be filmed (Mr. Jane/ Mr Byrdie will do the honors) For the 2 weeks prior we'll take special efforts not to have accidents to make it easier to identify the freshly earned scrapes, scratches, and boozes. Bruises.
        Jane, you nut!! What a visual!! And yes, there was LOTS of sweating involved! It was just awful...what are the odds of getting into a badminton class with a bunch of huge linebackers?

Petrel, you are sounding good n strong!! Push out those thoughts, that's what I do and so far, so good!!! :l B
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE nesters,

I have no shame ... I'm back. as they say in another place - "keep coming back"

2nd-last day of taper today - day1 AF weds. I have this week off work, not back til next tues, so a bit of a buffer to get sleeping & such sorted

this time - I have a plan! bunch of fun (AF) things with family & friends planned for this week & over Easter - who knows, maybe I'll get an inkling that spending time with people I like is better than drinking alone in a darkened room ...

badger

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Good that you are back badger & with a plan too
            Stick to your plan, stay close to the nest & we'll help you along.

Petrel, boredom is right up there with being lonely when it comes to drinking triggers I think. At least it was for me. I had to change a lot of plans & expectations to get around all that & I sure am glad I did too. Your marathon training is a perfect distraction

Greetings to everyone & wishes for a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, Everyone:

I had a great day - the deepest massage I've ever had (I felt like I was getting beat up at one point, but boy do I feel great now), after a long hike listening to podcasts, including the Bubble Hour that No Sugar posted. I have to recommend it to everyone - there's so much that science can tell us. The two points relevant to us (well, the two I wanted to summarize) are: 1) your brain shuts off the dopamine receptors in response to the "noise" of drinking/taking drugs. When you stop, they stay shut off for up to six months. What? I thought it was just the craving first couple of weeks, but that explains another reason why relapse between 90 days and 6 months is so common - we still actually may NOT experience the pleasures of life to the same extent we will eventually. Yes, I know those crazy old timers keep telling us this, but I still wasn't prepared for the funk that I keep experiencing. There are many great things about being free from alcohol, but I am glad to hear that the funk will clear still more... and 2) being in a group while recovering can increase oxytocin and other chemicals that help you feel better in spite of all that. That could be one reason why recovery groups work, and yet another reason to stick around here, make friends, and interact with folks.

There is so much more in that podcast - about how your brain heals itself (but not to the point of not being addicted to alcohol any more); about terminology that can de-stigmatize recovery (alcohol addiction disorder vs. alcohol abuse); about the fact that the majority of those seeking recovery end up in long-term, sustained remission; about recovery being a process, etc... Anyway, I highly recommend it. Reading and learning about addiction has been a very powerful part of my recovery - following in NS's footsteps!

OMG, what I wouldn't pay to play Bad Mitten with Bane and Jyrdie.

Hope everyone is sticking close and working to stay strong.

xo
              Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

And welcome back, Badger. You CAN do this. Settle in and stay strong.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

Crazily busy, so it has to be take-away coffee today. Normal service will resume tomorrow.

Have a great AF Toosday!
                  14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

WOW! So many good posts I can't mention them all! I'll be re-reading thru them.

I don't think I could thank you all enough for a being a part of this forum. Thank you. i can do this...I just need to commit to it. THANK YOU!

-Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Sarah, I hope you're doing okay. It's the best place to be to beat this problem.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Tuesday morning Nesters,

Coffee looks perfect DTD, thanks

Hey Pav - who are you calling crazy? :H :H
                        I honestly did not know what to expect when I started on my journey. All I knew was that things HAD to change, so I just kept going I am fairly certain that I did not begin to really relax & truly believe in myself until I hit one year. Up until then I was faking it pretty much & trying to convince myself that I could indeed be successful. If I can do it, so can everyone here

Greetings to everyone & I hope we all have a terrific AF Tuesday!

Lav
                        AF since 03/26/09
                        NF since 05/19/09
                        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

And I just did what Lav did!! :H

Ima have to check out that Bubble Hour! It is reassuring to know there is genuine science behind all of this! It's not just 'all in our heads'!!
                          Badger, welcome back! Make Wednesday your LAST day one! It will be the start of a new Tax Year and your new AF life!!!
                          Sarah, I'm so glad to see you!! You have laid the groundwork and are building your foundation! :l

Pav....Jane and I are hosting a podcast on Pay Per View....Called, 'Don't let this happen to you: When good girls go BADminton! :H:H

Have a great day, evabody!!! XO, Byrdie
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning,

Starting on day 2, (again!!!). Working on a plan to make it stick this time. I'm just so tired of the same old cycle of drinking, feeling like a failure, quitting for a few days, then repeating all over again.

Thank you to all for the great posts, resource recommendations & humor!

Wonderful day to all!

cocoflo

Comment

Newbies Nest

Welcome back Coco! Glad to see you again :l You can get off this damn roller coaster ride, and we can help you, just stick close! I remember the worst part of drinking for me was the anxiety that would come and sit on my chest every morning at 3am!! It's such a relief for that to be gone now. You can do this too. Get a plan together and just take it minute by minute if need be. Don't go anywhere, we need you here! :h
                              :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hey jane,

You hang on here ... And hey u cannot disconnect from MWO

Hehe your remark "Houston, we have a problem" ... Such quote never existed before man went to moon. Lol ... Strange I notice such small things in life now. Earlier it was all about booze ... Booze and nothing else. How am I getting the next one, how am I going to hide the next one, where will I drink next.

Hey did u complete 100 days today ?

Cocflo... Welcome back ....
                                Rahul
                                --------------------------------------------
                                Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                                Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                                Rebooting ... done ...
                                Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Working...
                                X