Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

MAE, Nest:

Pepper, I do get what you are saying. At first I thought quitting alcohol would instantly make me healthy and happy - well, that didn't happen. However, slowly but surely I am finding the calm that Ava describes above. I'm finding clarity and focus on life that I really didn't expect to find - it does feel like a brand new phase in life - I am very excited by it.

Ava - glad you're back and get another week off to rest, recover and clean (I DO wish you'd hang out at my house from time to time...)

Great work, Dila! I hope today went well, too.

Welcome back, Willow.

We had a beautiful picnic on a bluff among wildflowers with a bunch of family today. The weather was spectacular (sorry to those of you still digging out).

Happy Sober Sunday everyone.

xo
    Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all. Thanks for the welcome back you guys!

I went to bed last night at 8.30pm and I've just woken at 6.30am - man, did I sleep! My body must be so seriously shattered. I need to keep things like this in mind and also not expect too much too soon - I always expect miracles to happen eg I'll suddenly have loads of energy, my skin will majorly improve, I'll lose weight easily etc etc. Then I get discouraged when things don't happen. I guess it's going to take a long time to heal properly.

I've also been thinking a lot recently about - sorry to be morbid - dying. I don't want to die and leave my children and that's what scares me most of all, is that I've already damaged myself so much that I can't ever get better. My right side side hurts constantly (liver) and so does my left (I assume pancreas). Also I was lying in bed with my 4 year old last night and out of the blue he said how much he'd miss me when I go to live in the sky. It's not something I really expected him to come out with and it made me really sad. I also talked to DH about how I'm scared that I'll die and leave them. Not only would that be a huge change in itself, the kids would have to go back to school as DH feels he couldn't carry on teaching them at home like I do. It would completely screw their lives up and that makes me feel terrible. I just very much hope that it's not too late for me.

I don't know what we're up to today - probably stuff like cleaning and getting prepared for back to work tomorrow. I have all my books ready to read but I'm not worried about today (day 2) or tomorrow as I'm usually ok for a couple of days. I'll be back later to check in.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

So glad this thread didn't take ages to load - I haven't had coffee in the Nest for ages, and I miss the chats here! Hope everybody's had a great Easter thus far.

I was talking to somebody last night about change and happiness, and I told him about a brilliant Saffa painter, writer and chef who once said that his wife re-invented herself every morning. We are all in the process of re-inventing ourselves and we have to let go of the bad past - including our memories of how bad we had been. I use those memories to keep me from going back to hell, but I refuse to live in guilt over the stupid things I've done. The past is the past, and the present can be difficult enough without extra and unnecessary burdens. Doing the best we can today with what we have - ourselves - is the best we can do. Beating Al is so difficult that even just one day without it in our lives is a giant victory.

Have a lovely AF Easter Monday, Nesties - just be the best you can.
        14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello everyone, glad everyone had a nice Easter. Went to dinner at a friends home. Made it through as no one drinks. Ate too much and did not feel to great at the end of the night. Been trying to eat organic lately. Lost 18 pounds but when I don't eat organic I don't feel good after. Could be my body reacting to not drinking. Even with upset stomach, I felt so much better not drinking on Day 2. Up at 4am but have not been a good sleeper in years. Would love to be able to sleep a full 8 hours.

Been trying to figure out why I started drinking and have so many thoughts. Once I organize I will share. I can relate to so many of the post here. Have many of the same experiences in my life.

Here is to staying strong on Day 3!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

Awesome bunny cup DTD
            Indeed we do reinvent ourselves each & every morning & we get to choose who we will be! It doesn't get better than that

Dila & Willow, glad to see you both checking in & staying strong! Healing will come in time. Right now focus on doing your best today.

Wishing everyone a terrific AF Monday!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning all! I am so happy that I did not drink yesterday! Had friends and family over and everyone had wine and beer but I stuck with my seltzer and cranberry juice. My best friend asked what I was having when she arrived and when I told her, she said "is that just for now?" - I said "I'm not sure" and that was the only time it was mentioned or discussed, except once when my husband asked if I would have wine with dinner and I said no. No comment from him - I'm not sure how he feels about my not drinking - I need to talk to him about it soon. I don't think he will mind but we have both drank together for so long (22 years - wow!), it is a big change for me to stop.

It was so great to get ready for company without alcohol - I had much more energy than I would have had if I had been drinking all weekend. And today - wow what a good feeling - what a relief to not be hungover!! Everyone came over at 4pm - the old me would have started drinking when I got home from church at 12:30 and would not have stopped until well after everyone left. I just know I would have been feeling like crap today.

Dottie, Pepper, Pav, your comments when I posted about being worried about how I would handle Easter really helped me stay strong! Thank you!

I have to say, I am really tickled with myself! I am hoping this is the start of acceptance for me. I am thinking ahead to summer, and summer vacations and feeling like I just might be able to do this.

Wishing everyone here strength and commitment in their journey! Thanks everyone for being here. :l

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                The sun is out and I am taking another vacation day today! Woooohoooo. Go ME!

So glad to hear of the victories over the holiday weekend! It really is wonderful to be in control of the course of our day. 4 years ago, I was in the middle of the worst year of my life. I'd start the day HOPING not to drink too much, and that hubs wouldn't notice. I was thinking just this morning, the neighborhood parties I'd missed because I had passed out before they started....with my appetizer already made and sitting on the counter. I will never forget the scared and disgusted looks from my husband. He didn't deserve that person.....and I didn't, either. What a lie AL tells us! Whatever voices you are hearing in your head today about WHY you SHOULD drink, don't listen to any of them. Listen to ours....that's what separates the men from the boys around here....learning which voices to listen to. One drink is NOT going to make the day better, it's not going to take the edge off, and it's not going to calm our nerves. One drink is going to send you off the cliff into hell. Resist the voices with everything you've got. They are trying to live IN you! Don't let them find a home! This is a beast you must starve in order to survive yourself! Yes, it is like an exorcism. Get this dam demon out of your life and don't invite it back in. Remember, it has to be invited in.... Don't fall for it.
                Fight for your life. I promise, it's worth it. Have a great day and cherish your sobriety! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

frances;1651476 wrote: I have to say, I am really tickled with myself! I am hoping this is the start of acceptance for me. I am thinking ahead to summer, and summer vacations and feeling like I just might be able to do this. :lWhat a great feeling and something to look forward to, a sober summer! Today I also am just beginning to get a glimpse into how I may fell going forward. Amazing what a couple of mos. can do. Slowly I move ahead enjoying life, w/o alcohol.

Byrdlady;1651494 wrote: What a lie AL tells us! Whatever voices you are hearing in your head today about WHY you SHOULD drink, don't listen to any of them. Listen to ours....that's what separates the men from the boys around here....learning which voices to listen to. Byrdie
                  Wise words not to be ignored or taken lightly. Thanks Byrd
                  Reminds me of the old adage that a bird(thought) can land on your head but that doesn't mean you have to let him build a nest there.:H

Lavande;1651468 wrote:
                  Indeed we do reinvent ourselves each & every morning & we get to choose who we will be! It doesn't get better than that Lav
                  Choice is such a wonderful thing that alcohol robs us of. There is power in choice, thanks Lav.

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                    So good to see that we all had a great weekend/Easter and enjoyed it without AL...isnt it wonderful!!
                    I have some manner of crud today..coughing and stuffy head. May call doc later if I dont feel better. Too much pollen in the air or something...drat..
                    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdlady;1651494 wrote: that's what separates the men from the boys around here....learning which voices to listen to.
                      Funny, I was thinking on my way in to work this morning that over these past 2 months (and especially just in the last week or two) I kind of feel like I am growing up. And I am 48 years told :H

Drinking alcohol can sometimes seem like such a "grown up' thing to do, but I realized today that it has contributed in so many ways to my insecurities and my constant feeling of still being like a child.

Hyper, I am with you - I am looking forward to seeing what being AF continues to have in store!

Sorry Jane and Dottie that you aren't feeling well - Jane you are right - this will pass just keep that in mind

Comment

Newbies Nest

Got to the doc this afternoon and he gave me an antibiotic. So much to do this week and I don't want to be sick. bleh
                        Just hanging on the couch and took first dose of meds...no clue how I got this but apparently it is going around. Doc said he is seeing folks all day with this....lovely.
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dots, I hope you feel better....maybe you picked it up in Rhumba class? or cooking school? or at the Charity Cotillion!!! It makes me so happy to see you doing all these new wonderful things!! You are a new girl! So sorry you are sick! Hopefully, those meds will kick in quickly and get you back up on the dance floor! Distant hugs!

Hope everyone had a great day....my vacation is over....back to the salt mines tomorrow. xo, B
                          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                          Tool Box
                          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Must have been the bunny ears Saturday??
                            Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

I am so happy to see all the successes on this site?..i am still trying to find the right path for me?..to all my MWO friends?.good for you!!!!
                              I just won't anymore

Comment

Newbies Nest

I just yesterday asked Byrdie if she had heard from you, Jennie :l.

Comment

Working...
                                X