Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Rahul you mentioned thinking about lots of things before you started drinking heavily. I noticed at about sixty days I started remembering things from the past (some not so good) and it seemed like my thoughts were clearer. The biggest problem with that is that there are some issues that I thought were only being caused by al and now that I'm sober they are almost bigger problems (it was easy to ignore them drunk). But being sober my reactions and decision seem to be better and I don't wake up the next morning regretting the decisions I made the day before.
    Luvin' congrats on 60!
    Spirit - I have noticed some physical changes. Had a friend that i hadn't seen in a while tell i looked thinner. I also don't wake up in the morning sweating with my heart pounding any more either.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jane 27
      you're keeping me wondering who the new person is with the ever evolving avatars! Like this one, liked the pencil ones as well.

Well done Rahul!
      Sam
      Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Newbies Nest

Spirit,
        I've noticed less bloating in my stomach as well as less swelling in my face. My eyes are clear, and I don't need to use visene anymore! Can't say anything about the weight thing as I've been treating myself to all the goodies that I didn't care about while drinking. You're sounding great.

Rahul, as far as the thinking goes, I have had sleepless nights from thinking too much. I try to do some deep breathing, and just pay attention to my breath. It does help, so give it a try. I think it's great that you went out with a new group. And as you said, not everyone was drinking, and the people that were were not getting sloppy drunk. That's not a bad situation to be in unless your mental self isn't ready to hang out with others that are drinking. It sounds as though you were ready and enjoyed yourself.
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pavati! Congrats on your 150 days!
          :flyingunders:
          Great job! We are so proud of you! NomoreJim has 120 days!
          :gramps:
          Well done, old timer!!
          SpiritGirl clocked in roll call with 7 days! We will take a bow for that one!
          :moon:
          Great jib, everyone! Keep it going!!!
          XXOO, t
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks Byrdie, J-Vo, Rahul, SamStone, Pav and anyone I missed. I really appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

Glad you went out with the boys and stayed tough, Rahul! Trying to be "one of the guys" (stupid because I'm a woman!) is now on my alert status. You did good!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 4 - hanging in there.

Bit cranky and still can't sleep but feels so much better than a hangover.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

CONGRATS to everyone celebrating victories today (day 1 to day 150 :yay
                Every day with AL is a good day!!!

Flooding rain here all day, something over 4" now & it's not over yet!!
                It's supposed to stop sometime tomorrow, I hope

Wishing everyone a safe & cozy night in the nest!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi, All:

Thanks for the lovely and functional undies, Byrdie. I have to say, 150 feels pretty dang great. Thank you nesters near and far for supporting me on this journey - it has been so worth it.

I am on my way to bed after another long day. I have been listening to the Bubble Hour - they say a lot of the same stuff that our resident experts say - a good reinforcement. I finished the one on denial today - one thing that struck me is the ability to not be in denial about your problems with alcohol, but to be in denial as to the causes. As one of them said, "I'm going to find the one exception that sets me free from the alcoholic label." My job, my spouse, my mom - whatever. Very interesting.

Jim and Rahul - I so agree. I thought all of my woes were caused by alcohol, and lo and behold they weren't. Also, the path to long term sobriety is neither straight nor flat - lots of twists and long, slogging up muddy hills. It is good to remember that so when the tough parts come we don't turn to our usual down-in-the-dumps friend, Mr. AL.

'Night all. Happy Hump Day.

Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dear Paviti, many many congrats on 150 days, you have changed your life for good and now keep it this way. You started on this recovery path when I was going thru my replase ...excellent that you are doing so well.
                    Spirit girl congrats you hang on there you should be seeing rainbows pretty soon ...

Nomorejim : 120 days is huge .... Many congrats ...
                    Rahul
                    --------------------------------------------
                    Rewiring my brain ... done ...
                    Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
                    Rebooting ... done ...
                    Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi everyone...I'm safe as are my family...phew! What a rough rough ride those 2 days were with the weather. We had quite a bit of flooding but the water has receded now at least at my house. That was a terrifying event though I must say....as I've been here thru numerous hurricanes and just haven't experienced that particular kind of weather. Hail the size of golf balls...thought for sure it would break windows, and the storms kept coming! The lightening was non-stop so was afraid to have computer, etc on. But anyway...all is safe!!! Now I just have to read back thru several pages! For those to my EAST I pray for you and hope all was ok today. Byrdie thought of you most today as I know it was headed your way...gonna read back now to make sure everyone is doing well.

Love u all,

Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

Pav, congratulations on your 150. That's such a great achievement and watching you daily with the new life you're living is inspiring to me. You're continuing to learn daily about this disease, talking through the emotions, working with us here is making you stronger and stronger every day. Keep it up dear. I'm following your lead.

Sarah, glad you're safe!

Have a great day all.
                        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

The worst of the storms is over - had 5" of rain here!!!
                          Lots of road flooding yesterday & even the poor farmers are dealing with their fields being under water right now.
                          Grateful I only have to deal with a drip coming through my kitchen ceiling & a chicken yard that looks like a pond right now

Wishing everyone a great AF Thursday! Grateful to be clear-headed to deal calmly with life as it comes!!!!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning All,
                            Hope everyone is doing ok with all this heavy rain. Starting day 5 and feeling good.

Pav Big Congrats on 150!

SpiritGirl good job on 7 days!

NomoreJim excellent job at 120 days!

Welcome Marty!

Will be back after work. Have a good day everyone!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning - I hope everyone is doing well. Sarah it is so good to hear you got through everything okay - sounds like it was pretty scary!

I have been wondering - can any of you share the physical changes - particularly in appearance - that you noticed after some AF time? Did you lose weight? Did you gain weight from the ice cream ? How about your skin, hair... I know it sounds superficial - but I used to feel and look so healthy and I miss that... I have spent so many years drinking and then the next day eating as much greasy food as possible to "absorb" the alcohol in my system... GROSS!! Once of my MANY motivations is to hopefully lose some of this alcohol-greasy-food weight and feel & look healthy again... Does that happen??
                              Spirit - funny you should ask that - I just posted about getting past 61 days (Peppersnow - remember you asked me to do that? that was for you ) - and touched on some of these things. I didn't mention weight loss or get into too many details except my eyes being clear (which is wonderful) - but yes, I lost weight, probably around 5 pounds. I have been allowing myself to eat treats I don't usually have but not too many - usually in the evenings before bed I'll have an ice cream. The weight seems to be holding lately so I don't know whether my body is adjusting and I won't lose any more, or what. My skin is definitely better - more hydrated - I was having really bad wrinkles around my eyes and just tired looking all the time - this is vastly improved! Now that you mention it I do think my hair is better too - seems healtheir. But most importantly, I think, is that I feel better about myself - I can think clearly, I am sleeping so much better, I am more patient, and I just feel better overall! It is so worth it.

I know how you feel about being unsure of yourself. I felt the same way! (been here before, too). Just keep taking it one day at a time. The days will rack up. You don't need to tell yourself it's going to be x days - just today, just right now really. Keep remembering what you will do if those thoughts and urges hit you. Talk a walk, have a tea, do some laundry - whatever it is - the thoughts will pass and you will be through another day before you know it. And after not too long, not drinking will be your new normal. Not that you won't still think about it, but everything just starts to feel different - AL becomes very secondary and no longer the forefront. Just stay committed and keep coming here and reading and posting -it is invaluable!

Happy AF thursday to all!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Guys

Just want to say HI and I hope everyone is doing fine

I'm having a good day today and I just want to share it to you guys.
                                Alcohol will hit you bad but you can always turn your back
                                Alcohol can bring a lot of misery but there is a solution because it's not a mystery
                                Alcohol will give you pleasure but in the future it will give you pain that you cannot treasure

Comment

Working...
                                X