• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Sarah,
    Glad you're safe from the storms!

Marty,
    Good to hear you're doing well today. Any progress with your plan?
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning, Nesters!
      Frances, what a beautiful post!
      Marty, GREAT to see you!!
      Sarah, those storms had us duck and covering!! All good here, glad you are ok! Thank you for asking. Mother Nature can be a real hag when she wants to be!
      Hope everyone has an easy day!!
      Back on my head! Hugs to all, xo, Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Great Morning Nester Friends,

Well, today is day 11 for me. I almost broke last night but i hung in there. I remembered the HALT. I was hungry, angry and tired. After a dinner and seltzer water, i felt better. Anyway, one day at a time. Thanks for all doing this together!!! hAVE A GREAT DAY
        ?Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.?

― John Wayne

Comment

Newbies Nest

Meshell, get yourself to Day 13 and you will be amazed! I kept falling at Day 12...just before the magic happened....hang in there, the road ahead will smooth out and you will be amazed. Something just clicked in my head and I knew this was something I could live with longterm!!! Great job on surfing last night! Hang on!!! Well done! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Frances - thank you so much for your response... I really needed to hear that! I was having a motivated day yesterday and excited about ALL the things ( physical & otherwise) that will change in a positive way by being AF - and the BOOM - today happened! I am at work at all I can think about is wanting to go home this evening and enjoy a glass of white wine... WTH? I know I didn't get here overnight, and the cravings & thoughts will not go away over night - I just wish it wouldn't consume me... I have been sleeping SO much better - I have been productive around my house - only good things have happened to me the last week of being AF... WHY CAN'T THAT BE ENOUGH to keep me from wanting the wine??.... Drink wine = bad consequences / Don't drink the wine = good consequences and no regrets... Seems so simply - yet.... I want to drink wine tonight... But thanks to you all and MWO I have a weapon in my pocket and I am not going to drink today...

Glad that the storms have passed for those affected... And wishing everyone a happy & healthy AF Thursday!

Btw - I wanted to share that I am reading a book called "Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife"... So far, I haven't been able to put it down
            God gives his toughest battles to his strongest soldiers...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Jvo,

I used to do meditation and breathing exercises about 10 years back or so. They were very relaxing. What a mess I have made of me self in last 10 years.

Actually I lost all friends, if I see my 10 years of life. Max time I used to spend working and then drinking. It was work work, drink drink, travel travel, work work ... Drink drink ... Crazy as I see back. And I have lost all friends, and have distanced from them. I used to go out with people but the real attraction or the focus was on drinking. Finding people was just an excuse.

No it's feels different to make new friends.

Today was a busy day, not because of work but just a bit of stress. It's summers so pretty hot. Getting ready for next week travelling. It is so strange I used to get sooo excited when ever I had plans to go for a trip to Europe. All those bars and all the time in the world to drink. But now it seems so different. I know I can't drink. So that excitement is not there. Rather I feel bad to be away from home, family for 2 weeks. Ironically earlier I used to look for excuses to be away from family so that I could drink.

This alcohol had really screwed up my life I must say. I am solo glad to be out of that mess. I can't thank my stars to bring me to senses.

j-vo;1655748 wrote: Spirit,

Rahul, as far as the thinking goes, I have had sleepless nights from thinking too much. I try to do some deep breathing, and just pay attention to my breath. It does help, so give it a try. I think it's great that you went out with a new group. And as you said, not everyone was drinking, and the people that were were not getting sloppy drunk. That's not a bad situation to be in unless your mental self isn't ready to hang out with others that are drinking. It sounds as though you were ready and enjoyed yourself.
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Just wanted to check in being a newbie. Been on Kudzu and St. John's wort for a while but ran out while the Kudzu was on back order. Had a rough few days over that week and a half and even turned up for my acupuncture appointment . . . not drunk but not quite sober. Of course my acupuncturist is also my Shifu so . . . . One of the black coats (junior instructor) who helps him with his patient scheduling mentioned something about him wanting to do a re-evaluation.

Then of course there was the rampant texting and facebooking. Fortunately or unfortunately I have documented proof of who I said what to. Including who I shouldn't have said anything to.

On the plus side I've been back on the Kudzu and the St. John's for a few days with one day under my belt. Getting the blood levels back to normal. Even with the herbs it's been a while since I had one of the those, even longer since I had one in conjunction with not smoking. I remained just on the edge of heavy drinker never quite able to get over that last wall.

Now I have two things hanging on my cork board:
                1) A daily regiment that I aim for every day. (If I can manage to be alive at 6 in the morning.)
                2) Recovery of brain volumes with abstinence may vary for different brain regions -- ScienceDaily

The Journey of a Thousand Miles Begins With a Single Step.
                “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                Newbies Nest Roll Call
                Toolbox
                Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all. Day 5 today and still feeling positive. Not looking forward to the weekend but am trying to plan lots of things to do which will keep me busy and not let me sit around wishing I had a drink in my hand.L Glut arrive today so luckily can get on that before the dreaded Friday evening arrives, and hopefully it will help curb the cravings. Hang in there everyone and congrats to all those with the big anniversaries. In fact congrats to everyone for being on here at all.
                  I can beat this.
                  Today is the day I start.
                  1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Well said FF.

Hello orimus.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks to everyone for the congratulations. I honestly don't remember the last time that I was sober this long. To all who are starting and struggling on this journey MWO is about the only thing that I have done differently this time (listen to the nest moms they know what they are talking about). I lost count of the day ones having this great place to come to has made all the difference. I still have the occasional twinge but it is getting much easier to ignore. I am so grateful for all of the support and I am also grateful for being sober. Hope everyone has a safe and sober Thursday. Has anyone heard from K9 or Available? haven't seen them here for a couple of days.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Day 5!

Just got home from work and want a drink so bad. Just want a glass of wine to relax. So busy at work. Feel the supplements are not doing anything to help the cravings. Sitting here reading and eating M&Ms one right after the other so I do not get a drink! Trying to hang on.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening Nesters,

Today at work, I had to deal with some unpleasant adults. A "slacker" who has been on my nerves for some time now really got under my skin today. I've been trying to let it go, because I can't control her actions. I can't control anyone's but mine. But when she's being so loud in the classroom and disrupting everyone by yelling at one student because she doesn't like him, well, I would have drank at her/because of the situation. Now, I can come on here and bitch and let off some steam, which is what I'm doing. I also have spoken to a girlfriend who knows my situation and that helps. But I won't drink AT her. So not worth it. I also came home and took a nap, but I do that even when no one pisses me off! Love my naps.

Anyhow, Dila and Mishel, keep going, one day at a time. Your days are building. Sometimes it feels as if life is crawling by, but let it crawl. Watch something funny on TV. I love Modern Family. That show makes me laugh nonstop.

Spirit, you wish this attention to alcohol wouldn't consume you, but in reality, wouldn't you rather have these thoughts than the physical pain of going through a hangover, ridding your body once again of the spirit that takes your spirit away? I know, easier said than done. But these thoughts will come and yes, they will go. Just tough it out and maybe look at the gratitude lists in the general section. It's a great read. You can do this and we're right here doing it with you.

Rahul, our friends change, but like you said, they weren't really true friends but drinking friends. Now you're experiencing true friendship and doing things that don't focus around alcohol. Going away is going to be tough, as your normal going away routine will be different. Can you take a camera with you and enjoy the sites that you didn't see while sitting in the bars when you went before? Take a bike ride? Stick close to MWO while you're away.

Orimus, glad you're in the nest! I'm glad you have a plan on your cork board. Looks as though your health professionals are being helpful and maybe a re-eval is a good idea. Do they recommend any supplements for you?

FF, the weekends were super difficult for me, as they probably are for everyone. Keeping busy is the key and enjoy lots of good food. Hopefully, it'll be nice in your neck of the woods, and you can get out and enjoy it.

Have a great night.
                          Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dila,
                            Eat a big dinner! or m & m's are good, too!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Thanks SpiritGirl...I just read the author of Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife website.

I am going to purchase the book. I can relate to everyone thinking I'm successful and have a good marriage and 2 wonderful children so my life is good. No one knows I have a big problem because I always drink at home. No one who knows me would every suspect I have so many fears and disappointments in my life.

I guess part of being an alcholic is that we hide it well.

Thanks j-vo...need to stop the m&m's!

Comment

Newbies Nest

I never hid it very well Dila! Tried. Keep eating those M & M's. Have any green ones?

Comment

Working...
                                X