Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

j-vo - thanks for the post, I am going to download the book.

Sarah - I can relate as I did not get sloppy drunk every night, there were even some days during the week that I did not wake up with a hangover but I drank everynight. I could not wait to get home to have that first drink. That is what made me realize I have a serious problem which led me here. Also my son moved back home after graduating college who does not drink at all and starting making comments that embarrassed me. He would always tell me that he needed to make new frieds as the friends he grew up with all they want to do is go to the bar and get drunk and he winds up driving everyone home. He is more into sports. And then he comes home and sees his Mom drinking everynight and plenty of times drunk. I read a post here where someone stated that the worse thing is talking to your child about something in the morning and they said "we talked about that last night" and you have no memory or when you are drinking you repeat your self over and over and your child gets frustrated with you. I so related to that! These are the behaviors that led me here.

I cannot get enough to read as it helps me relate and know that I am not alone in what I am thinking and feeling.

Pepper - funny story but I can relate. My family would react the same. I have only told my husband about my trying to be AF. I have not told my children yet as I need to get thru the 30 days. I do not want them to be disappointed in me again.

Last night was hard but I did it! On Day 7!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters,
      I started reading the HFA (high functioning alcoholic) book last night. I think it's def. a book we all can relate to.

Grandma Lav, 9 hours of chasing, running and playing! What a great cardio workout! Glad your assistant Stella could help you out!

Ava, you will be Grandma Ava, I bet soon. Glad you're feeling better!

Pepper, what a story! Butt-dialing and auto-correct! A dangerous combo!

Pav, isn't it great that we can back out of something and not feel guilty about it? I used to back out of situations because I was drunk and couldn't leave the house or didn't want to face others because I was going to drink.

FF, congrats on your 7 days!!!

Dila, I hope I didn't pass on my alcoholic brain to my son, but if so, I know we'll be talking about it. But what a difference in our relationship today as opposed to a few years ago. I feel so blessed to have him back. He knew when I was drunk, and he was embarrassed and disappointed in me. I love that he is proud of me, albeit secretly, as he doesn't verbalize it to me, but I know through his actions.

Sarah, fear is what holds us back. How can we ever enjoy life without that beer in our hands? I've been noticing people when I'm out and now I say to myself, "it sucks they're going to leave this place with a headache." Experiencing life with a clear head is pretty cool.

Hi LB!

Have a great day.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi Dila, well done getting through last night. Looks like we're both on day 7 together. Let's still both be here on day 30!. FF.
        I can beat this.
        Today is the day I start.
        1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Peppersnow Just read your post and it made me laugh. I actaully did get pulled over early last Sunday morning. I had to be at work at 3:00 am so I was driving through this small town (it has more bars than people living there) and wasn't paying too much attention to my speed. I passed a police car going the other direction and saw him turn around. Pretty sure he thought he had a drunk as the bars were just closing. I was so relieved setting there thinking that not so very long ago this could have turned into a DUI. Just got a warning though.

Comment

Newbies Nest

family all sat drinking wine or beer whilst watching a film, so have removed myself for a few minutes to let the temptation pass. Pretty tough tonight, but i am absolutely not going to cave in. If it comes to it I will pretend to have a headache and retire to bed ridiculously early. Hope everyone else is doing OK this Saturday night. If I can get through this weekend then the next few days will be better as I find it easier to resist drinking in the week. I guess this is the same for all of us? See you all on day 8!
            I can beat this.
            Today is the day I start.
            1st September 2015.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello Nesters,

Little Beagle, Pavati, Available, Lavande, TGAF and anyone I missed thanks for your posts and concerns. Also thanks for raising the flags and starting warning lights. Relearning to life live can be a challenge some times.
              Rahul
              --------------------------------------------
              Rewiring my brain ... done ...
              Updating brain "attitude" firmware ... done ...
              Rebooting ... done ...
              Restarted program called "Life" ... started successfully ...

Comment

Newbies Nest

Quick check in from me....having a great visit with my step daughter, she is keeping us busy! Hope everyone has an easy day! Xxo, B
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Cleaned my closet all afternoon...normally would have started drinking by noon as I would have been bored doing it but I had so much energy and felt good.

DH grilling steaks for dinner and all I can think about is having a glass of wine with it...so I came here instead.

FF - we will make it together! I can't remember the last time I did not drink for a whole week.

Rahul - hope you are doing well.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Had a great day in the beautiful weather. Bought some veggies for my garden. Hope I can get them in the ground tomorrow.
                    So many fun and interesting things to now that my days/nights are not controlled by having to plan my drinking. Amazing...
                    Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

FF,
                      I know every situation can't be avoided such as the family all watching a movie together and sipping on their drinks. I know for me, I can enjoy my family so much more and actually know what's going on i the movie! The entertainment is awesome. But you're right, it's hard when that alcohol is right in front of your face. All I can say is that it will get easier over time. One step and one day at a time.

Dila, your closet looks great! Wanna come over and do mine? Oh, spring cleaning. Well, I don't do it, if we're being honest here, but I will clean out some closets here and there. Glad you distracted yourself. I've been putting on my wireless headset and listening to pandora while on treadmill and just doing stupid stuff around the house. Keeps me distracted, especially while I try and dance and clean at the same time!

Glad you're having a great weekend, Byrdie.

Rahul, we are in the toddler stage of life, learning how to live our lives, seeing things from a different perspective, and It's amazing the things that feel new to me. And I must say, I feel as though sometimes I'm wanting to take tantrums from time to time, as it's hard to deal with these new emotions. Take it easy and take it slow. We don't go from toddler to grown-up in a few months or a few years. It's a journey.

Dot, glad you're getting your garden in order!

Jim, did you have a little smirk on your face when pulled over, because I bet I would have. Just a little self-satisfaction?

Have a great night.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Dil and FF a big congrats on 7 days, a huge achievement. I was in awe when i did my first 7 days, did not think it was humanly possible for a 2 bottle a night drinker to last a week. Worst bloody week in my life but has turned out to be the best week of my life now i am 5 months in. You will both never ever regret this decision even with all the cravings/urges/eating/non sleeping and emotions come to the fore. Strength and determination and being on here has got me and a lot of us to where we are. If you look the mwoer's with days up are always checking in on here to be accountable and at the end of the day its not that hard to do.

Pepper that was so funny, love a good chuckle. I got to the stage where i hid my phone or if i had a conversation i would try and write down what i said, mind you i could not understand what i had written. I am glad those cringe worthy moments are in the past as well at the fb posts and emails.

Sarah we all enjoy/love al, end of story. we cant drink in moderation, if we could we would not be on an alkies site. We all make the decision to stop and it is only us that can make that decision. if someone told me to stop my drinking (which a lot hinted at) my first thought was to get on the defensive - fark off im not that bad, concentrate on your own life and leave mine alone. Al talking, not really the real me. Now everyone loves the me that i am becoming without al and its not rocket science that your life will change for the better. Dont "try" giving up al Sarah, "DO". I did not hit a rock bottom as such but i could tell i was well on the way if i did not stop drinking, if we feel it is affecting our lives then it is a problem.

Jvo after the baby shower yesterday it will be awhile, at least a year, before i'm a nana but hey it gives me a chance to knit and knit some more. I told my daughter that i became sober for this grandchild and she just laughed. Well it was one of the reasons but i am learning patience now so i will just listen to all of lav's wonderful stories and know that one day i will be posting on here with my own.

Jim lucky you on getting pulled up sober ha ha! So glad you met a nice policeman that let you off also as the money they charge these days for speeding is unbelievable and then we get peed off with ourselves. I appreciate getting older and realising that i dont have to be somewhere in 5 minutes.

well a cold day in Aus, not as cold as what it will get though. I am back to work tomorrow after a month off and i am a bit apprehensive as never been off work this long. Back to the grind of everyday life, wish i could retire or meet a 90 year old millionaire on his last legs!

Have a great day everyone xx
                        Byrd i miss your posts but glad you are having a lovely time with your family
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Newbies Nest

Nar, FFS!!!!! What's up with a foot of snow! No bare legs today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

I had a real nice afternoon out with a friend, needed a break

Ava, have you tried advertising for a rich old sugar daddy? :H
                            You never know, you may have a few takers
                            I'll be happy to give you granny lessons when the time comes - best job ever!!!

Congrats to the 7 day folks FF & Dila - great job!

Rahul, just remember to include some things in your new life that make you happy. You have every right to live a happy & healthy life without AL!

Greetings to everyone else & sending wishes for a safe night for all in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Fat fella and Dila,
                              Congrats on your 7 days!!! The worst is behind you!
                              :moon: :moon:
                              Great job on kicking Al's arse for a whole week! We are so proud of yiu both! Keep shining!!!
                              Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hi All , Just happened to turn the TV on last night at the moment a movie was starting." Everything must go " . I'm not a fan of Will Ferall , but whoever wrote the script knew his stuff about AL , highly recommend it for a viewing . BND
                                Tomorrow ! is a brand new day , open it with carealm:
                                Final Quit 7/7/14 , The last of so many .

Comment

Working...
                                X