• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

So nice to see so many checking in & sharing their success stories
    Congrats to everyone!!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!
    3June, Stella will have to dust off her dancing shoes for your anniversary party next month - she loves to dance :H

Have a great AF night one & all!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Hello guys what's cooking

I'm still sleepy

hope you guys have a great day

on this day I'm gonna make the most important decision in my life.

wish me luck.
      Alcohol will hit you bad but you can always turn your back
      Alcohol can bring a lot of misery but there is a solution because it's not a mystery
      Alcohol will give you pleasure but in the future it will give you pain that you cannot treasure

Comment

Newbies Nest

Evening, Nest:

Way to go Marty. Good luck, but it also takes some work. Plan, post here for support, take good care of yourself. You can do this!

Mesh - so happy for your 10 days! Way to go.

FF - You made it through that party! Whoot.

Welcome back, Byrdie!

I haven't really read back. Today I had a conversation with my son about alcohol controlling me rather than the other way around. I asked if he noticed that I haven't been drinking. "Sort of." Thank goodness for the vague teen-aged mind. It was one of the things I was fearing most about quitting - being honest with my kids. It went really great. Another fear that was unfounded...

Went to a big party with lots of old friends, and didn't drink. I didn't even want to drink. I had a great time, drove home, and woke up early and well-rested. Lovely.

Good night, everyone.
        Pav

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE Nesters!

Coffee, on this coldish Monday morning? I thought that the clouds had lifted, but I must have looked at the one tiny part of the sky that was not clouded over, so I guess we're in for some more rain.

Marty, just read about your decision on another thread - best of luck!

FF and Dila, well done you two, and keep the partnership going!

I quit in mid-October last year - our spring - and probably my biggest (and silliest) worry was: how on earth am I going to survive a braai without a glass of wine in my hand. I actually discovered that a braai is about enjoying the day and the experience, and not about what is in your glass. It took me a while to be totally comfortable with that experience, but now I get to enjoy the fire, the food and the company - things I had neglected in the past.

Just have a look at the newest member of the Dreamy household: she still needs a name, so all suggestions welcome!

Have a great AF Monday - don't let the blues in!
          14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

Newbies Nest

DTD- why not "Blue'? beautiful blue eyes it seems from the photo and you even said "don't let the blues in". First name I thought of even before I saw your comment... :-) what a beautiful pup!!!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Byrdie- yippee!!! You are back and safe. I hope you had a wonderful time!

Dila/FF- congrats you two!!! What a wonderful accomplishment!

I also think about everything seasonal...Plant alot of flowers in the Spring, b'qqe in Summer, Football in the Fall, and nice cozy fires in the Winter....all with a glass of 'something'. But, thankfully I have you all who will help me get thru this when I'm ready.

In the meantime, I'm sticking here to keep reading and being inspired and I thank this forum for that opportunity and for every one of you.

Have a wonderful MAE and will check in again tomr!

Much love,

Sarah

Comment

Newbies Nest

oops...forgot to mention Marty. Good luck on your journey! You are facing some serious stuff my friend and I just want to say I'm thinking and praying for you.

Love u all,

S

Comment

Newbies Nest

Sarah,
                  You sound perky!

DTD,
                  Your pup is soooo sweet! How is she doing with training?
                  Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good morning Nesters,

DTD, love your new pup
                    I hope you have lots & lots of energy, I know what I've been thru with mine the past two years :H
                    She looks like she will be a good friend!

Greetings to everyone & I hope we all have a fantastic AF Monday!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Newbies Nest

Morning all - weird night with bad sleep last night. That's the first time I've had any sleep issues in a very long time - hopefully it was just a Sunday night fluke worrying about work today, etc.

Summer will be tough but like Byrdie said we'll do it just like we do it now - one day at a time! I am worried most about vacations but this year we unfortunately don't have our usual week at the lake planned - when we do that the drinking starts pretty early in the day. It will help if we don't go there this year to let me get this 'quit' more firmly entrenched in my brain!

DTD - your puppy is adorable! I like Sarah's name suggestion - - I'm sure whatever you come up with will be perfect.

Hope everyone has a great day today!

Comment

Newbies Nest

Good Morning, Nesters!
                        Catching up from a day out of the office. AND more importantly, catching up here. Everyone sounds good and strong! Keep it up, it's the best gift you can give yourself! Hugs to all, Byrdie
                        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                        Tool Box
                        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all,
                          DTD, Sarah and I must think alike because blue was the first thing that came to my mind too. She is beautiful. What kind of fur baby is she??
                          Off to the gym then laundry. I still have the dining room to finish too. I swear that stuff multiplies at night....I just need to DO IT....
                          Back later.
                          Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

Newbies Nest

3June2013;1657112 wrote: MAE all from sunny Canada eh? It's still chilly but seeing the sun so nice and bright has us all feeling like perhaps there is still hope for a spring here LOL

I'm a month away from one year AF and feeling fabulous. I can't believe that sneaky AL still trying to work his way into my thoughts. "If you can quit for a year you can't be an alky" "Why not have just one and see if you can manage it?"

Are you freaking kidding me? After all I went through to get here you think I'll let you back into my life you sleazy b@st@rd? Absolutely not.

Newbies! Sorry I haven't been here much to cheer you on. Since I quit AL I seem to have what is commonly called a "life"! Who knew? But every now and then I pop in and I am reminded that this is where I went when I needed help, this is where I got the help and then I remember to thank you all. Thanks for sharing your lives, you never know who you will touch by just being honest. Kudos to you all for finding your way here and for being here to help others.
                            NoNo as for your contribution, when I started you were right around 60 days and to me at the time the idea of 60 days was as likely as my visiting Mars. Sometimes just being successful is worth far more that all the hyperbole. Thank you for setting the bar! Have a great anniversary and don't forget to give me a thumbs up when I cross that milestone!
                            Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Newbies Nest

MAE all. Just thought I would drop in say hi. It's great to see everyone doing so well. Everyone new, and our long term legends. I've been busy with life, but it's still such a wonderful thing to drop in in see how everyone is. I will never forget what a wonderful forum this is. Especially the goodness shared by all, no matter how far down the road of this journey they are.

Well, I'm it's early in the morning here and cold. We're coming into winter here down under, and it's getting cold. I'm lucky I live in Queensland, which is a very temperate climate. Cold isn't that cold. Just makes my early morning running uncomfortable to get started. Poor old Ava, down on the southern end of the continent, has a lovely Antarctic chill to contend with, so I can't complain.

Well, my sobriety is going well. Start of day 14 for me, and this is the day I feel out of the nest last time. So butt Velcro firmly attached. I've been kept so busy with other things, Al hasn't been on my mind.

My marathon training is going well. I know I've done enough to survive. It's still 2 months away (to the day, July 6).

My separation/divorce has kept me distracted. It's moving along now, so hopefully that phase of my life will be finished soon. I wish my ex all the best. I don't believe in holding onto ill feelings. Life is too short to be unhappy for very long. There are always going to be unhappy times, but I believe it's important to get past them and move on.

Thanks for listening everyone!!

Petrel

Comment

Newbies Nest

Oh, and dream, that's a beautiful puppy

Comment

Working...
                                X